A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency Parking Brake Module needs replacing - difference in part #s for A/B/etc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 03:03 PM
The Transporter

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Emergency Parking Brake Module needs replacing - difference in part #s for A/B/etc?

Local Audi dealership has determined that my parking brake issues are caused by the EPB module being bad. They want $1200 for the part+labor; I was able to find a variety of parts for $100 or less. The part # according to the service manager at the Audi shop is "4E0907801".

I found one from a 2009 Audi A8, here locally that I could go pick up tonight, but it has part number "4E0907801B" on it. I have also seen "4E0907801A". Is there a difference between these? If so, what, and can they be inter-changed? I'm assuming that the different letters at the end indicate different features/functions in their firmware especially (e.g. the difference between an audio-only parking alert system and the visual parking alert system; same part number, one ends in A the other in C).

So would my 4E0907801 from my 2004 A8 be able to be replaced with a 4E0907801B from a 2009 A8? The guy has it listed as 04-10.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by a_very_naudi_guy
Local Audi dealership has determined that my parking brake issues are caused by the EPB module being bad. They want $1200 for the part+labor; I was able to find a variety of parts for $100 or less. The part # according to the service manager at the Audi shop is "4E0907801".

I found one from a 2009 Audi A8, here locally that I could go pick up tonight, but it has part number "4E0907801B" on it. I have also seen "4E0907801A". Is there a difference between these? If so, what, and can they be inter-changed? I'm assuming that the different letters at the end indicate different features/functions in their firmware especially (e.g. the difference between an audio-only parking alert system and the visual parking alert system; same part number, one ends in A the other in C).

So would my 4E0907801 from my 2004 A8 be able to be replaced with a 4E0907801B from a 2009 A8? The guy has it listed as 04-10.

Thanks
I am going to say yes, it's a revision letter, see pic and links.

https://www.wolfautoparts.com/200420...le-200933.html

https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pr...E0910801D.html

Old 03-05-2019, 03:22 PM
The Transporter

Never mind, turns out the same guy had one without the 'B'. $45 cash.. Audi wanted $1200 or something (labor included, but this module is easy to access). hah.

RE: Giovanni, thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 03:24 PM
The Transporter

Okay I guess then, since I can get both for the same price, should I get the direct part replacement (w/o the B) or the one w/ the B since it is a revision and would have newer firmware? I imagine the B?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

It's a long shot, but since you are going in person to pick it up, maybe ask to fit each one to check which solves your problem, me I would go for the "B".
Old 03-05-2019, 03:33 PM
The Transporter

Unfortunately I don't have the car, it is sitting at Audi at the moment and I'm driving a loaner. Just to be safe I'll grab the non-lettered one and if that doesn't work out I'll grab the B. This way any issues of compatibility at all are negated. Apparently they're having a hard time doing the rear brakes without being able to re-set this computer issue. (It's there for brake pad+rotor change out)

Regards
Old 03-05-2019, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is 2004 and it has the
4E0-910-801-D

Old 03-05-2019, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-07-2019, 01:11 PM
The Transporter

I got ahold of the module (no revision A or B, just the regular 2004 manufacture module) for $45 from a local seller (this guy parts out D3s; he has a freaking D3 headquarters in his garage! Now my go-to guy for A8 parts!) and showed up to the Audi dealership early in the AM with module in hand. The service manager was amused and surprised, especially since he had quoted me $1205 to repair it just 14 hours earlier. I gave it to them, he told me it worked, and then tacked on an extra $477 in labor! He claimed it took THREE HOURS to install the EPB; yet, ELSA itself (along w/ Bentley of course) shows it is as simple as taking out the battery and, right below there, swapping the EPB.

The server manager said that the extra time was time required to do the coding. I let him know that doing coding for these does not take too long and, if I had known he was going to charge me for several hours of labor, I would have installed it and programmed it myself. Absolutely ridiculous behavior Audi! He dropped the price to $238 (1.5 hours of labor) which was cool, but still an hour longer than the actual labor (battery remove+remove old EPB module+install new EPB+put battery back in+hook up VAG computer and program it). I never authorized that much extra labor - it was supposed to be $250 + the parts for the rear brakes replacement, and if they swapped the EPB it was $1205 on the price spec sheet without any break-down on how much labor was required for the coding or anything. These kind of practices leave a very sour taste in my mouth. But, he did indeed knock it down to 1.5 hours instead of 3, so that's a good thing.

Anyway, it looks like all is well and they are done with my brakes now. I am going to pick it up and pay the $860 or so. I purchased from Audi only the rotors; I provided the pads and the EPB module.

Next on my list:
1) Valve cover gasket replacement (I have the parts);
2) Spark plug replacement (I have the plugs);
1-2a) Audi offered to do the labor at 4.5 hours for both valve cover gasket replacement and plugs. This is something I want to do on my own, even bought a proper wrench that can do the 11Nm tightening needed on the valve cover bolts. I am just not 100% confident in myself. But at 4.5 hours times the $160 or so per hour in labor, I think I'll do it myself;

3) Wabco air compressor replacement; local guy is selling me a working compressor w/ warranty for $120, and I am going to take the repair kit I ordered and install it on the one he is providing as I believe the one in my car is potentially damaged so it's probably a good idea to use the newer model replacement that has less wear and tear on it and just put the repair kit on that, replacing the gasket and sleeve and whatnot. He's offering install for just $50. Very good all around.

4) Passenger-side body-mounted (not trunk/boot lid) tail light replacement; getting the assembly for $150 and planning on installing myself. Mine has a long thick crack that is letting moisture in and is throwing tail light and brake light error codes resulting in MIL warnings and beeps out the wa-zoo.

5) Replace left-side engine mount; I'm not sure how to approach this, but it needs to be done.

6) As a fun project, get a Raspberry Pi installed with display output on the MMI screen and get hands-free bluetooth for the phone etc. all setup. I have AMI right now and can do 3.5mm aux input and USB flash drive plugin to play MP3s, which is fine, but I'd really like to get a full custom Android-auto raspberry pi setup similar to what some other guy here on the forum showed us not too long ago.

Once these things are performed, I'm expecting plenty of more great life out of the car. Everything seems to be working pretty well!

Regards
Naudi