A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine died while on highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Solved* Engine died while on highway

2005.5 A8L face lift. 4.2.
driving down the highway my car started to bog and die, then get a blast of power and then eventually stall out. I pulled codes P2234, P2231, P2415, P2414 but have not had a chance to scan with VCDS.
Basically both of my pre-cat o2 sensors **** the bed, or at least are reporting they did but to have both go at the same time is odd, no? Really hoping it's not an ECM.

It's as if one of the fuel pumps died.

Car will not start now. Cranks but no start.

I haven't seen these codes before so maybe someone can chime in here on a direction I should take. Thank you in advance

Last edited by Heyst; 07-15-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

First step would be to isolate it to either fuel or ignition issue and then drill down. A bad O2 will not prevent your car from running. A bad O2 can damage other components over the long haul by creating a rich or lean mixture.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had lean codes for ages, replaced the whole nine. Stopped shy of replacing cats (had bad coil packs for a month or two and fuel ratio was rich) so maybe they're finally clogged after all this time. might not be the issue but certainly not helping.

​​​​​​Both STFT and LTFT read + and I could smell it was lean. After 12 years it sounds about right to replace the fuel pumps. I might only swing for the right hand side pump. Depending who you ask, it's the pump that keeps the car running and the other (left) takes on any additional load and transfers fuel.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Some wires/connectors/ vacuum hoses popped out due to engine vibrations or pot holes.
Look under the throttle body and the FI vacuum hoses.
Never had bad fuel pumps with any of my Audi's even @ 175k miles.
The codes will show up if the fuel and ignition systems are not well.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 06-22-2018, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Start with fuel pressure test, fuel supply. Hiway driving is high flow demand, due to steady horsepower output. A lot like a boat actually, which drinks fuel.

A8's are known for R-side fuel pumps aren't they? Mine was replaced.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Coils packs?

Mine would barely run when one coil pack was cooked. They only replaced three when the dealer recall was done at the dealer.
Texas heat and traffic cooks those original coil packs.
If you drive for a while with bad coil packs it could be cats. The lean codes sound like air leaks, normally car runs rich when O2 sensors start to go.
Good luck in getting it sorted. Hopefully it is something cheap to repair.
Like was said figure out if electrical or fuel related. Then work back.
Sitting in my 2005 waiting on the wife to get off work. Love the car, it is just right.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 Panelhead.

I recently had one go out of no where. It was odd and the car would struggle and surge. Scanned it with VCDS and noticed one was firing incorrectly. Replaced the spark plug and the coil pack and all is working great now. Ended up purchasing the coil pack from the dealer and it was similar if not cheaper than buying OEM online.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the replies.
luckily I have an old 01 GMC Sonoma to boot around in while my car sits so I'm in no rush this go around.

At this point the car will no longer will start. It will roll over but not fire up. I do not hear fuel pump priming but I do hear one struggling loudly as I crank with key in ignition. I'll start to look into VCDS today.
All of my Coil packs are brand new r8's. All spark plugs are new (maybe 1000 kms on them). Fuel filter is somewhat new. I haven't let the tank drop below 1/8th. I had to replace valve cover gaskets and coil tensioner gaskets recently but I highly doubt there is a correlation.

Basically on the highway it was like a fuel cut off.. Engine RPM slowly dropped to around 1000 and then kicked in up until about 3300 and would drop with eventually stalling. I'll scan and get back.
It was a +30°C day and she was working great.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default OK, Open the your hood...

Originally Posted by Heyst
Thank you for the replies.
luckily I have an old 01 GMC Sonoma to boot around in while my car sits so I'm in no rush this go around.

At this point the car will no longer will start. It will roll over but not fire up. I do not hear fuel pump priming but I do hear one struggling loudly as I crank with key in ignition. I'll start to look into VCDS today.
All of my Coil packs are brand new r8's. All spark plugs are new (maybe 1000 kms on them). Fuel filter is somewhat new. I haven't let the tank drop below 1/8th. I had to replace valve cover gaskets and coil tensioner gaskets recently but I highly doubt there is a correlation.

Basically on the highway it was like a fuel cut off.. Engine RPM slowly dropped to around 1000 and then kicked in up until about 3300 and would drop with eventually stalling. I'll scan and get back.
It was a +30°C day and she was working great.
Do you see these four letters:
A
U
D
I

If so, there's your problem.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For what it's worth, I replaced the right side fuel pump. The car fires right up now. Got a whole new pump unit with the hoses for $340 Canadian.

Once you open the tank (no special tools needed, caution if you use a Flathead screwdriver and a hammer to knock the ring counter clockwise *potential sparks from steel on steel*) there will be a spider web of hoses.

Examine your new pump and the hoses on it, then undo the old ones in the gas tank. They're secured by a clip, and you push that little button in to pop it off.

Not only are there hoses, but also a few other attachments on the pump assembly that need to be unclipped and set aside. Just take a look and you'll figure out how easily they come undone.

Big note, the longest hose attached to the pump housing actually had the connection in the left side fuel tank sooooo yes you have to open that side up just for that one.

Whole procedure took an hour. Now that I'm familiar it could take maybe 15 minutes.

Last edited by Heyst; 07-18-2018 at 05:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine died while on highway