A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Fault Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll get on that tomorrow. I do have a vag-com that I'll get out tomorrow. Btw, it snowed here today and it's awfully cold.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Very common problem on a lot of Audis, I have had it on my A3, and my A4 in the past.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems in my case I had taken the steering wheel off to check something and although I had put it back in the exact same spot the ESP fault light came on about 10-15 minutes into a drive. The fix is to drive it in a straight line under 20 km and reset it o
With the Vag-Com. I'm paraphrasing what was told to me by my garage.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread that was revived fairly recently, not sure if this is the right action to take but here goes....

I have a *similar* problem, but my lights only come on when it's been raining and the car has seen enough road to get fairly wet. Maybe underneath? ESP light comes on, followed shortly thereafter by the parking brake warning light. Beeps every time I hit the brakes after that. After it sits for a while (an hour? Enough to dry off some area?) the lights go out and stay out -- until it drives on wet roadway again.

Others have found the brake switch, but this is inside the car, no? Wouldn't be getting wet. I'm thinking it's a sensor connector of some kind, and wondering if anyone has seen this particular (wet-only) problem.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

VCDS scan is the only way to go.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A3 had intermittent ESP fault issue

PROBLEM:
My Audi A3 had a similar intermittent issue with ESP fault message appearing
on the dashboard, temporary loss of engine power/ traction. Even if the message appears, the car continues to run. To get rid of the dashboard message, the car needs to be stopped and engine turned off. Start again and the message would disappear sometimes. Sometimes one has to manually press the ESP button in the car to turn the ESP light ON again.

SOLUTION:
After six months of taking the car to multiple garages, Audi finally told me to do a £60 fixed price diagnostics (which in my opinion is completely unnecessary but they need to do it for their own internal compliance before conducting car repairs). The diagnostics report was the same as what one of their expert mechanic told me on the phone earlier that it is a very common problem with Audi and solution usually is to replace the spark coils and spark plugs.

FEEDBACK TO AUDI:
Got it repaired from ServicingStop who are quick, cost a lot less compared and they even pick and drop the car to your doorstep. Ideally, I always like to service my car in Audi but this time they had no dates available earlier and I had already lost 6 months in figuring out what the problem with the car.

Would it not be easier if the dashboard just put a more specific message such as Spark Coil fault rather than ESP fault which could mean a lot of things. ESP fault message could have been "Your car has some problem". In today's age of technology and computing, I would reckon that it is not impossible. Before you invent driverless cars, please fix such basic issues such as meaningful diagnostics messages.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

My EPS fault relates to my right front wheel speed sensor. That's going in this weekend and I'll report back. I have new plugs and coils as of Jan.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Meaningful diagnostic messages are only available using a tool like VCDS. The owner or driver doesn't need to know the gory details. Most wouldn't get it right even if the part had a flashing red light on top. "There is a doo-hicky under the hood that is flashing red."
Old 06-26-2017, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

New wheel speed sensor went in and didn't solve problems. Still random fail of EPS ABS and parking brake when hot outside. Next is brake switch for a cheap fix, then repair abs module.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by gaber6
New wheel speed sensor went in and didn't solve problems. Still random fail of EPS ABS and parking brake when hot outside. Next is brake switch for a cheap fix, then repair abs module.
The insulation on the wiring loom by the ABS module is disintegrating, causing these random errors/shorts. Check there first before wasting any more time and effort erroneously replacing functional parts.

Quick Reply: ESP Fault Solved!