A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Fault Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea. VCDS did indicate the wheel sensor though. Will check wiring next!
Old 06-30-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gaber6
My EPS fault relates to my right front wheel speed sensor. That's going in this weekend and I'll report back. I have new plugs and coils as of Jan.
mine too, its my rear driver. for 20 bucks they will be here saturday
Old 07-02-2017, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hope your wheel sensor fixes yours.. mine didn't

My abs module connector is literally crunchy sounding though. The lever that holds it is all gritty and has white residue. Might just need a cleaning with electrical cleaner if I can figure how to pop it off.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok i ordered the part online speed sensor SU11919 which is for the driver side, however it came and did not fit. it must be the right passenger side abs sensor. i am going back and forth with the seller to get a new one. alot of time wasted. however i removed the old abs sensor and cleaned it. there was residue on the inside a light orange-ish color debris on the abs sensor. i cleaned it off and used a toothbrush to get it out of the crevasse. It did not fix my abs sensor issue. i have the 3 lights still. Its very intermittent as usual. I will still replace it, but does anybody know more about the brake light switch and abs module rebuilding or purchasing. Im tryna to fix it at any cost. I cannot go over 80 mph when the sensor acts up. Havent heard anybody mention that. Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-12-2017, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I recently had the ESP fault on my 2007 A6 4.2

It was very intermittent at first, engine would turn, but not start. Turning on ignition (before trying to start or after) would show ESP Fault, Brake Fault (please drive to the nearest something carefully), Parking Brake Fault, Headlight Range Control Fault, pretty much everything fault... You leave the car for a few minutes and then it would start, until recently when it didn't.
An OBDeleven scan revealed that most (or all) units reported faulty had the same error, something about failing to communicate to ECU.
Audi dealership told me it was a battery and offered to replace it. The mechanic's note said something in the lines of "I charged the battery and the car started fine."

About 3-4 days later the problem appeared again. Few minutes later the car started. Then 2 days later same thing and the car didn't start (I had to leave it at Costco parking lot). The next morning I jump-started it and drove to the dealership, told them to tow it at their expense. They said they'll be able to do something, then I said the car was already there with the same problem

Turned out to be an ECU relay stuck (open I think). This was also the reason the battery was draining. Boosting the car (I guess) gave a bit more power to the relay so it kind of worked.
$42CAD and no charge for 3-hour diagnostic (because they charged me a week ago and didn't solve the problem).

Here are the videos of the fault happening with my frustrated voice and (at the time anger) at the dealership (but not having to pay $465CAD just for diagnostics was a bonus for me :P)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qY9hos6nk0f5lVzn2
The following 2 users liked this post by nurchi:
2014 Audi a7 (02-24-2020), AndreAzevedo (08-28-2022)
Old 10-12-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default chased same problem for more than a year

My symptoms included increasingly intermittent ABS, ESP, E-brake, beep and more including loss of speedometer. It got to the point where regularly there were no faults on cold start up but within 5 minutes of driving, BINGO!. I replaced speed sensor, brake switch and chased brittle wiring in loom. None of recommended fixes on this thread or others from way back worked permanently. Nor did cleaning connector with electronic contact spray do the job. Other than annoyance of lights, car was still driveable (without ABS function, speedo, etc). Biggest annoyance was beep originating from e-brake warning. My temp solution to beep was to unplug two 30 amp fuses in trunk for e-brake. (Again temporary annoyance fix).

Only after I removed the ABS module from brake modulator pump, sent it out to ABS repair guy ($125 bucks) and reinstalled, did the problem go away. NOTE, MODULE CAN BE REMOVED WITHOUT DISCONNECTING BRAKE LINES, which means bleeding to reinstall. It's been seven months and no warning lights. If you have more than a few miles on your D3 (or other models) more than likely the module is the problem. Audi used ultrasonic welds on contacts inside module which fail over time and heat in engine compartment. Put your hand in the tight space between module and exhaust manifold to find out how much heat. Although not certain, it's possible car can be driven with module removed waiting about 10 days turn around shipping to & from repair. I did this on an earlier D2 and wrapped ABS modulator with plastic bag to prevent water (rain, etc) from getting into solenoid thingies exposed with module removed.

A lot of signals go through ABS module, and many things affected by speed signal. Obviously ABS and ESP are dependent on unequal wheel speed. Obvious speedometer needs the signal along with MPG calcuator but so do others. How do you think the car "knows" it's over 5 MPH to lock the doors or s inhibited from applying E-brake if driving faster than 5MPH? When the speed signal is absent going to E-brake module it throws a fault and annoying beep. Last but not least, I suspect the stupid sunroof automatic wind deflector might use speed signal also.

Originally Posted by nurchi
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I recently had the ESP fault on my 2007 A6 4.2

It was very intermittent at first, engine would turn, but not start. Turning on ignition (before trying to start or after) would show ESP Fault, Brake Fault (please drive to the nearest something carefully), Parking Brake Fault, Headlight Range Control Fault, pretty much everything fault... You leave the car for a few minutes and then it would start, until recently when it didn't.
An OBDeleven scan revealed that most (or all) units reported faulty had the same error, something about failing to communicate to ECU.
Audi dealership told me it was a battery and offered to replace it. The mechanic's note said something in the lines of "I charged the battery and the car started fine."

About 3-4 days later the problem appeared again. Few minutes later the car started. Then 2 days later same thing and the car didn't start (I had to leave it at Costco parking lot). The next morning I jump-started it and drove to the dealership, told them to tow it at their expense. They said they'll be able to do something, then I said the car was already there with the same problem

Turned out to be an ECU relay stuck (open I think). This was also the reason the battery was draining. Boosting the car (I guess) gave a bit more power to the relay so it kind of worked.
$42CAD and no charge for 3-hour diagnostic (because they charged me a week ago and didn't solve the problem).

Here are the videos of the fault happening with my frustrated voice and (at the time anger) at the dealership (but not having to pay $465CAD just for diagnostics was a bonus for me :P)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qY9hos6nk0f5lVzn2
The following users liked this post:
2014 Audi a7 (02-24-2020)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Major Short

Hi All, New to this. I have a 2009Audi A5 Quattro. I recently went away on vacation and left my car standing for a couple of weeks. When I returned the battery had completely died. I tried recharging it but it wouldn't budge.
Figured its time to replace it, I mean it was at least 5 years old. Change the battery and all sorts of funny things began. Reverse cam stopped working, my electronic parking brake would not engage sometimes or not disengage other times.
I ran a scan with VCDS and got a faulty switch for the EPB and no communication with the cam module. Looked in the passenger side trunk area to find about an inch of water. While cleaning out the water noticed that I was getting a slight shock from the wet area in there. I started taking everything apart in there and to my surprise a 6 gauge wire feeding one of the fuse blocks came loose. I believe this kept shorting out the battery for it to die. After fixing this and reconnecting it all sorts of lights came on on my dash. ESP/ EPC/ ABS/ BRAKE and the annoying beeping at engine start. I just ordered the brake light switch hoping it will change something.
Will let everyone know what happens when it comes in from FCP Euro.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Appreciate your reply, however use the correct thread. This isn't an A5 thread.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
Appreciate your reply, however use the correct thread. This isn't an A5 thread.
HA, kind of glad he did use this thread. I have been having the ESP and parking break fault recently and now I have a starting point.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESP & TPMS lights on..dealer said turbo fail???

Second opinion or does this sound reasonable?
It’s a 2011 TT 2.0TFSI with 42000

Last edited by Jeff Kowaney; 05-13-2020 at 06:35 AM. Reason: More info

Quick Reply: ESP Fault Solved!