A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Fault Code Mess Ugh on my D3 S8

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 weeks and I get it back Today problems Solved (I hope!)

Originally Posted by dcc1433
Newer member here and appreciate all the forum input. Has saved me so many times. Pretty much in learning mode still on my 2007 S8. Fabulous car but man my new best friend is my independent audi shop…… here's the CEL mess we are currently dealing with. Love my guys but not experienced with S8's (they are a high performance Audi, VM, Porsche shop but...) so I am trying to prioritize the potential problems:

Codes thrown as read via VAG-COM:

P1577-004 Open Circuit (005495-Right Engine Mount solenoid Valve (N145)

reco: replace mounts (engine mounts collapsing)

P2189-004 MIL ON (Bank 2, system too lean at idle- too much air intake at idle)

reco: checked vacum hoses and y connector for leaks (none), maybe needs new MAF?

P1647- 001- Intermittent (Check coding of ECU's (2) on power train Data Bus
reco: at a loss here, Bentley Manual says it could be coding issue on ECU's, brake electronics power train coding related to airbag control module adaptor, check brake electronics and ABS module.

reco: no f'n idea where to start

Mileage on car is about 52,300. Car is almost all original except all new gaskets and a colon blow at 45,000 miles LOL.

Go easy on my guys I have looked around the forum and have read up on just about everything I could but would like to get some confirmation (or not) on if the recommended fixes sync up with diagnosis.

Any thoughts would be appreciated………

Thanks from Atlanta
Well, dealer called yesterday and my car will be ready later today. Don't have all the details yet but It appears that the crank case tube below the air intake was bent or broken and was causing several of the lean fault codes. In addition, motor mounts were fine but there is a Bulletin out on this issue and AOA has a motor mount harness that is the fix...was throwing the P1577 above. Total damage: $1,242 plus tax ouch! But I am getting used to it now having owned the car for almost a year . trying to get it back to pristine condition. Thanks to Wasserwerks and everyone for the input.

As a side note, I asked for the cost to replace a few buttons that were peeling and the cost to replace and here's what I got back!! (front driver door open/close button $$530, MMi AM/FM $850 hahahaha). Needless to say will find another solution.

If I get more detail I will post after I pick up the car. Thanks for all the fabulous input. What a great community... Next up: rear spacers and lowering links!

Last edited by dcc1433; 09-10-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default That Was Short Lived !@#$%^&*()

Originally Posted by dcc1433
Well, dealer called yesterday and my car will be ready later today. Don't have all the details yet but It appears that the crank case tube below the air intake was bent or broken and was causing several of the lean fault codes. In addition, motor mounts were fine but there is a Bulletin out on this issue and AOA has a motor mount harness that is the fix...was throwing the P1577 above. Total damage: $1,242 plus tax ouch! But I am getting used to it now having owned the car for almost a year . trying to get it back to pristine condition. Thanks to Wasserwerks and everyone for the input.

As a side note, I asked for the cost to replace a few buttons that were peeling and the cost to replace and here's what I got back!! (front driver door open/close button $$530, MMi AM/FM $850 hahahaha). Needless to say will find another solution.

If I get more detail I will post after I pick up the car. Thanks for all the fabulous input. What a great community... Next up: rear spacers and lowering links!
No sooner do I get the car home than the CEL light goes back on. Same codes thrown. So I tuned around, drove the car back to the dealer, and left for Seoul South Korea. Told them they could work on it next week and let me know. For the 15 minutes I had it, it was a beautiful drive!! Dam I miss that machine!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry about the issues you are having. I see you are in Atlanta, which indy shop do you use?
Old 09-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Too funny I just saw you on another topic and sent message. I use Eurotech in Marietta who is fabulous but Jim Ellis Cobb parkway for the more serious issues that take diagnostic time. JE charges a diagnostic fee of like $139 no matter how long it takes. I find it odd that you go to a dealer because they are suppose to be the experts in understanding the auto, and you have all these codes that tell them want the problem is, yet you have to pay them to tell you what's wrong, and then when they (dealer) doesn't fix problem to address the code issues correctly, they say oh it was bad anyway so we had to do, and we don't guarantee that this repair will fix the problem but you owe us anyway. This is my current situation with Jim Ellis. Not good. Defies good business sense to me. JE does not know the s8 well but the guys at Eurotech who only work on audi/Porsche and VW always do the right thing whether they can address it correctly or tell me it's a huge issue have Audi problem solve it. I am in Marietta. You? We need to talk!!

Last edited by dcc1433; 09-20-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, after 14 weeks in the shop and $7,000 I have my s8 back all repaired....what a story!!! For those who helped me here is what had to be done (the cliff notes version for us older guys. see original post here for fault codes:

- complete replacement of all fuel injectors (10)
- replaced 2 O2 sensors (front), there are 8 total on this beast
- ignition colis replaced (all)
- valve covers were/gaskets leaking into ignition coils-engine oil soaked
- vacum hose leak, intake air leak ( upper intake breather hose crack, in valley)
- engine mount wiring harness (passenger side motor mount faulty harness)

The good news is, the dealer JEllis Marietta ate all the labor costs due to length of time it took to fix the car properly (45 hours!!). Even with AOA involved it was a long, complicated process. So my out of pocket was parts only ($3k). Could have been much worse.

I am pleased to report that the vehicle has never run better. Smoother, faster, and a pure joy to have her back. Even as painful as it was. Gotta give credit to JEllis, they stepped up! I say this as long as the CEL doesn't come on for at least 1,000 miles!@#$%^&*

Thanks again everyone who helped.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez $7K. That is eye watering.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like they just threw parts at it till the problem went away; would be curious to hear what the actual issue was.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default You Would Not believe This

Originally Posted by halik
Sounds like they just threw parts at it till the problem went away; would be curious to hear what the actual issue was.
Well I had the car for about 2 weeks and 255 miles and CEL back on….what's really a joke is that JE Ellis says they have to do what AofA tells them to do. So this next conversation ought to be interesting when I tell them let's get all 3 parties on the phone and have a chat about this!@#$%^&*.

Happiness was brief!

Codes were as follows:

- 0008585- Bank 2: System too Lean at Idle P2189-004
006435- Check DTC Memory of ECU 2 P1923- 008

- 004229- Mixture Regulation, Bank 4; Range 1 P1085- 004 Lean Limit Exceeded-Intermittent

02 sensors in front replaced (there are 8 on an S8), they said MAF was ok, vacuum hose leak was repaired, new injectors, intake manifold, coils, plugs, breather hose, gaskets, seals, carbon clean done 12 months ago.

Based on everything I have read on the site here, I will have them check for leaks in exhaust around down pipe flanges, fuel filter, oil cap and dip stick, intake manifold bolt torque, throttle body and MAF cleaning, SAI for failure (don't even know what that is). Other than this I have no idea what it could be.

Only think I noticed before CEL came on was a strong coolant smell outside the car. The reservoir and overflow vent is right under the hood in front of driver side so maybe not relevant.

3 days and no word on what's wrong……and they give me an A6 to drive? Ugh, It drives like a Lexus vs an S8! LOL (happy to have a loaner however).
Old 12-08-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

If it still runs good with the light on, carry the Harbor Freight $40.00 cheapo scan tool and reset it and drive the car like mad. No use slumming it in an A6 when you have an S8.

You definitely needed the valve cover gasket replaced with the oil puddles in the spark plug basins. Just had that with my son's TT inline 4.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 12-08-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked at that Jim Ellis dealership as a porter during summer in college--great people over there. I can't remember the Service lead for Audi [Mike maybe? Shorter guy] but he was a great guy if he is still there and their mechanics are competent. In fact, several of the guys went over to EuroTech to work for Brian during my tenure there. Good luck and keep us posted. From my experience [I bought 2 cars from there as well] they are more reputable than the other VW/Audi shops in Atlanta.

Quick Reply: A Fault Code Mess Ugh on my D3 S8