A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first oil change coming up, question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsburgers

Is there one of these gizmos that you can push the lever down like a old time water pump on a farm? .
Not aware of any such animal.

Save money and drain using the drain plug.

I've been doing it like that for twelve years on my '04. 24 or 25 times so far
Old 12-15-2017, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be replacing valve cover gaskets and water pump this week. Will then clean belly pan up real good so I can identify issues quickly. Thinking about cleaning well and painting inside White to better identify leaks.
I am very lucky as I have 6 foot deep by 10 foot long pit in my garage for doing under car work. I remove belly pan often. Oil change is easy, as on the 07' the filter is easily accessable, and draining via drain plug is easy.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm too lazy to remove the bottom pan cover
This is how I've been changing oil every year or 15k miles.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 12-16-2017, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've asked the same question a couple of times and the answer is that the animal I want does not exist. In this video, it appears the "power stroke" that causes the vacuum is achieved by pushing the handle down. Is this an illusion or am I correct? Looking at the Pela product in my original post, the vacuum is achieved by pulling the handle upwards. If you don't hold the cylinder, down, it will pull off. This video showing what I think is a Mighty Vac, does not appear to create the "suck" by pulling the handle upwards. Rather by pushing it down.

Can you verify that is the case for me?
Old 12-16-2017, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It's just plain physics...

Originally Posted by bobsburgers
I've asked the same question a couple of times and the answer is that the animal I want does not exist. In this video, it appears the "power stroke" that causes the vacuum is achieved by pushing the handle down. Is this an illusion or am I correct? Looking at the Pela product in my original post, the vacuum is achieved by pulling the handle upwards. If you don't hold the cylinder, down, it will pull off. This video showing what I think is a Mighty Vac, does not appear to create the "suck" by pulling the handle upwards. Rather by pushing it down.

Can you verify that is the case for me?
Hello Bob,
If you remember the old days when we're short of gas and we had to steal some gas from a gas tank, we need a suction force to suck the gas from the tank with a small hose tube, keep sucking without blowing it back until the gas started to flow to the mouth then quickly move it to the container, the gas keeps coming until the tank is empty as long as NO air enters the tube.
Same principle, it doesn't matter what suction device or pump is, all it does is to create the initial suction to pull the liquid through a hose, 1 pull or 1 push won't create a suction force strong enough to pull all the air out of the tube, you need many pump to suck the air out of the tube, strong enough to pull the liquid through the tube, when the liquid starts to flow out of the tube to the other vacuum, the flow will continue until the air enters the tube somehow and disrupt the flow.

Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 12-17-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

You don't drain the 500ml of used oil in the filter housing? That's almost 7% of the oil capacity that you're leaving in the oil system.
There is a drain plug for it. That's why the good filters (Mann/OEM or Hengst) give you a replacement aluminum ring for that drain plug. It's with the filter cap O-Ring. I just did another oil change today on my car. Did it per the service manual procedure..

Last edited by Mister Bally; 12-17-2017 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

audipages Oil Change on the 5.2 V10 D3 S8 Engine

Old 12-18-2017, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who replied and explained why I should take the belly pan off. Thanks for recommendations for the Mightyvac and other. Thanks especially for reminding me about siphoning gas and getting a mouth full.

Unfortunately, either no one knows the answer to my question or doesn't understand what I'm asking.

The question is, Using the Mightvac as shown in the video:

Is the suction created by pushing the handle DOWN? Or is the suction created by pulling the handle UP?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Maybe 17 replies later it's time to call Mityvac...? Or maybe Google it and start watching videos? Horse has found oil, but seems to have no hands on with the drinking/pumping part.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

For the Mityvac.....the pump just creates a vacuum in the chamber so you can create a differential pressure and it can suck the oil out by differential pressure. There is a valve on the side of it so it can either create a positive or negative pressure.

Quick Reply: first oil change coming up, question