AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/)
-   -   Flickering Headlight problem!?! SEE PICS (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/flickering-headlight-problem-see-pics-2822296/)

DKONNI 02-21-2012 05:28 PM

Flickering Headlight problem!?! SEE PICS

3 Attachment(s)
Hey,

2004 Audi A8L with 87,000 miles.

My passenger side xenon headlight went out last week. It will flicker every time, then turn off. It only flickers for a split second then it's off. My left side headlight is working just fine.

I got a few quotes of $400+ to replace the bulb, but I was wondering if anyone on here has heard of this issue in the past & maybe it's a connection issue.

DKONNI 02-21-2012 05:29 PM

I know I need a carwash.

Mister Bally 02-21-2012 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by DKONNI (Post 24265275)
I know I need a carwash.

It's either the bulb or igniter. You can swap the ones from the working headlight to determine. That said, I would replace the lamp if I was in there. Genuine Osram lamps can be found on the internet for $60 or less. Chinese "will fit" junk can be found for under $30. Not sure on the igniter. A dealer told me they fail 20% of the time but I don't recall anyone here replacing one.

We all know you will clean the car as soon as the weather breaks....

ezveedub 02-21-2012 05:51 PM

Swap bulbs from left to right to see if it moves. If it does, you need a bulb.

DKONNI 02-21-2012 06:01 PM

The only problem is that it's so hard to get to that bulb. Doesnt the bumper & tire have to be removed? If it's easy to do, please fwd me a link or a how-to.

I would also appreciate a reference for where to buy this bulb, a part number would be helpful too.

Does anyone know the lifespan of these bulbs?

Mister Bally 02-22-2012 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by DKONNI (Post 24265294)
The only problem is that it's so hard to get to that bulb. Doesnt the bumper & tire have to be removed? If it's easy to do, please fwd me a link or a how-to.

I would also appreciate a reference for where to buy this bulb, a part number would be helpful too.

Does anyone know the lifespan of these bulbs?

Best procedure is in the Bentley service manual. I personally remove the headlight assembly.

As far as life, it is affected by the number of on/off (turning on strains the lamp the most) cycles. My experience was six years out of one and seven out of the other.

K9COP 02-22-2012 06:47 AM

Hey buddy, look on here for the thread about replacing the front LEDs. It's quite a long and picture intensive thread (may be also replacing the 'parking light' with LEDs) and that will help you get to the back of the bulbs/headlights. Very informative thread....

K9

Originally Posted by Mister Bally (Post 24265434)
Best procedure is in the Bentley service manual. I personally remove the headlight assembly.

As far as life, it is affected by the number of on/off (turning on strains the lamp the most) cycles. My experience was six years out of one and seven out of the other.