A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a Perfect A2DP Bluetooth Music Solution, NO AMI required!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a Perfect A2DP Bluetooth Music Solution, NO AMI required!

I've been looking for a way to play my music from my phone using A2DP Bluetooth on my 2004 Audi A8. I found a way that is not very expensive ($225 total), doesn't require a Audi AMI or updated software, and Very little modification is needed. Here is my setup:

First you need a AUDI MMI MOST iPod Aux In Adatper Interface or something like it. I purchased my on Ebay from this seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251295019271...84.m1439.l2649

I ordered it on 6/27 and received it on 7/2. Install is very easy especially if you follow this video:
(This isn't the exact same system but uses about the same install)

I then purchased a BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway (this will work with any bluetooth device not just a Blackberry. I only chose it because it had great reviews, it is very well made, and it is constantly plugged in so you don't have to charge it and there is no engine noise etc.) I purchased mine from Amazon for $80.00. These may be getting harder to find as I don't think they are made anymore. Other Bluetooth adapter's may work but I know for sure this one does. It comes with a RCA to headphone cable so it will plug into the AUX input in the box and you are ready to go!

It will show up as CD-7 under your CD changer (the CD Changer will also still work) and when you choose CD-7 you will then have the 4 Inputs to choose from. It paired with my phone very quickly and pairs right away every time I get in the car. I am no Audiophile but the sound quality sounds awesome to me with no distortion! In my opinion the sound quality is as good if not better than the CD player.

The other thing I love is that I can now use Google Maps for my Navigation and the voice guidance will mute the music when it is giving directions and go right back to playing automatically after it is done speaking. Google Maps is 10 times better than the Audi navigation and always up to date.

I love this car and now love it even more. Streaming music services are now also available and I have everything I need! Feel free to ask me any questions.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, Blackberry stereo gateway is an awesome piece, it had better audio quality in my car than AUX. And yes, I remember getting it for $30 couple of years ago lol
Old 07-05-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a very tempting option....I've been contemplating doing the AMI install, but I almost feel as if this bluetooth option may be better. Are there any "local" options for the Aux Adapter (rather than the UK)? Any part number on this component?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

nathanwind!
Every time when I compare the local market with EU market – more and more I found the better variety in Europe then here. There is nothing wrong with EU things. Keep in mind when you'll be buying there anything you should make sure VAT taxes are not included (if you are buying in UK). In general if you buying anything from Europe – they will exclude the Taxes (in case of UK it is 20%) and they will give you the discount as well as EU stimulates the export. Overall the price will be quite competitive even with higher delivery cost, but the quality of the product way to higher!

Unfortunately, recently I've been disappointed in things made in North America. It sounds like NA products are overpriced and very primitive. It almost like America lost the industry completely  I do not want to believe in such evidence, but I’m afraid to be right... Pretty much everything I’m buying now made outside of NA even I prefer to buy local. On top of it in many cases if you buy the same thing yourself directly from the Europe it will be less expensive to do that rather then get it from local "stealer". Music I had to buy in Europe as the same model I have almost 1.5 times more expensive here in NA. Anyway....

My recent purchase from UK was bicycle carrier. When I looked on the web page I've seen price for that model for 170 British Pounds. Theoretically it should have been for me around 140 British Pounds (excluding taxes)... But I sent the request and they quoted me with 99 British Pounds!!!

So, always make sure to ask vendor for the final price for you.
And GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanwind
This is a very tempting option....I've been contemplating doing the AMI install, but I almost feel as if this bluetooth option may be better. Are there any "local" options for the Aux Adapter (rather than the UK)? Any part number on this component?
Before anyone thinking about Bluetooth devices for music , check out the speed of Bluetooth transfer - bandwidth? If you notice the sound setting on mmi, FM doesn't, even have full surround sound compares to CD or AMI .
Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nathanwind
I received mine very quickly with no extra taxes, fees, etc. The seller sent it via the Royal Mail which then hands it off to the United States Post Office. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it from the UK.

As for sound quality like I said I'm no audiophile and it sounds great to me but I'm guessing if you care that much about sound quality you wouldn't be listening to MP3's anyway so Bluetooth wouldn't be an option for you.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Don't think it matters

Had the now pretty standard AD2P connection in the D4 loaner I had for close to a week. Couldn't tell the difference using the same source material (and at same bit rate files) from usual my D3 device. Then installed the retrofit AD2P to my D3 and likewise can't distinguish from the wireless connection to wired.

Having said that, the plugged in iPod/iTouch approach has the much better and fully integrated UI control, including in he D4 where it was more "planned for" and offered integrated with the car. Also still not a big fan of stuffing my phone with 20-30G of music I can just keep on an essentially throw away/quasi obsolete device I just keep in the glove box. Going forward, the new Q5 (pending Euro delivery) has it too. I suspect what I will conclude is it might make the most sense with multiple separate drivers where each may have a different set of music files and tastes. If it were my dedicated driver, I would just throw another old 32G iPhone or iTouch in the glove box.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

How did you power the unit? Does it always stay on? Once you pair it, does it stay paired?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2013, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Asking OP, or me?

Not sure.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MikeNSX
How did you power the unit? Does it always stay on? Once you pair it, does it stay paired?

Thanks
I powered it thru the fuse box on the side of the glove box. Hooked it up to one of the spots that turns off and on with the car and grounded it with a body screw next to the fuse box. The third part of that video above shows how. Yes it pairs really quickly pretty much as soon as I get in the car!

Quick Reply: Found a Perfect A2DP Bluetooth Music Solution, NO AMI required!