A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front shaking....odd problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about ordering some new ones anyways even before double checking, I will check again but new ones will be installed
Old 09-25-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Should be a retainer screw BTW; at least there is on my W12 w/ the larger rotors. Seems like all hubs would be same anyway.

Since something does seem wrong w/ rotors (or the bolt up point), yes I would just throw in towel and get new ones. Wire brush hub area before reassembling. Also just in case, recheck basic wheel lug bolts. From my younger days, don't ask me how I know...
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The retainer screw is what the heck I've been trying to say haha am I supposed to have some?

already triple checked the lug nuts but thanks for the tip! I can always check again, wouldn't hurt
Old 09-25-2017, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by anotheraudiowner
The retainer screw is what the heck I've been trying to say haha am I supposed to have some?

already triple checked the lug nuts but thanks for the tip! I can always check again, wouldn't hurt
Retainer screw: look for a threaded small hole in the hub between two of the lug bolt holes. On rotor side, look for a countersunk hole in the rotor in between two of the lug bolt holes. But, if cheap/generic aftermarket rotors previously got fitted, I guess don't be surprised if that hole is not there and hence why you aren't finding any screws. If it is on the hub side, it was set up for it and you can renew. You can get screws from dealer, ecstuning or probably other places. Recent ones are Torx head. Older Audi's didn't have the screw, but they have been on the last couple generations of mine, including the D3 A8 w/ w12.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-25-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by anotheraudiowner

I have same strange shaking problem with new arms and discs. Did you get yours fixed?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:

my 2004 does not have the retaining screws, the rotors have the hole, but not the hub, so I had the rotors resurfaced to see if that would solve it, it solved some of it, keep in mind I work less then 5 miles from home and never go above 40mph going to and from work, so then a few days later as I was driving and getting off an exit turning right at about 40-50mph, my left front wheel started shaking so bad I thought it was going to come off, let's just say I almost needed a change of pants, I pulled over right away and got out to see what happened, turns out my drivers side inner tie rod end is going bad quick and in a hurry, I drove it home not going any faster then about 30mph, what's funny is it doesn't shake when braking going that slow, so the car got parked and I ordered new inner and outer tie rods, waiting for them to come in to replace them, that should fix my problem, what's funny is I checked for clicking by turning the steering wheel left and right quickly when the car was in the air, and no strange sounds came out, after this happening I can hear it very loudly now when turning the wheel back and forth, only my drivers side is clicking, the outer tie rod end boots are in great shape, but I decided to go ahead and replace both inner and outer considering I daily this thing all year through all kinds of weather, don't wanna be doing suspension work in the winter, also replacing the valve cover gaskets this week as they started leaking onto my exhaust, don't like the burning smell inside the cabin and definitely don't want a fire under the hood
Old 10-09-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I hope the new rods help, and if they do im going to order new ones too. Please update after you have them installed. I’m dying to know if it fixed the issue.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Will do, I've been chasing this problem for a while now, really hope this is the end of it
Old 10-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update: really starting to hate this car, one thing after another...

so replaced the drivers side inner and outer tie rod, and guess what...still make a hell of a clicking sound when moving the wheel back and forth, the sound is coming from the drivers side close to where the rack bolts to the steering wheel I'm guessing, so what now? Is this a common issue?

Is my steering rack itself shot? Is it rebuildable? Which way should I go with it guys? Really need some advice for this car

already replaced all control arms, tie rods, new pads, resurfaced rotors and now this...
Old 10-14-2017, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I think someone here has the same problem... unsolvable

after Strut replacement... Someone did screw up something when replacing it or the strut itself. It just doesn't happen over night?
I think most of people who lowered their car using mechanical stuff - disappear from the forum after a while.
Cheers,
Louis

Quick Reply: Front shaking....odd problem