A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mister bally i have a repair manual and vag-com tool how do i go about this problem?
thank you

07 audi a6 3.2L and lately it would only start when it wants to this is what it does when it dont start i turn the key and it cranks fine i let go of key still keeps cranking but it just wont fire i turn the key to off and it stops cranking, sometimes after 5 tries and it starts up sometimes i have to wait 10 mins sometimes it starts right up but lately its been getting worse i scanned it with vag-com no codes for fuel system just some freeze frame codes that wont go away, any help would be appreciated thank you.

i have tested engine speed sensor and fuel system they seem to be working just fine.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I am not familiar with the 3.2 L engine in an A8. You said A6 though. If you have an A8 w/3.2L engine, you must be outside North America or have a grey-market car. That's why it is best if you add your location to your name/Avatar.

You need to run a scan immediately after a "no-start" condition. Once the car starts, the code for a bad crankshaft position (engine RPM) sensor may disappear. Your symptoms sound EXACTLY like several posters here, including myself, who experienced a bad, intermittent crankshaft position sensor.

If you have an A6, best to go to that forum.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2001 Audi A8 L. Fuel issue

My car has 240 thousand miles on it the fuel pump is strong I tested it. It only run on a full tank once it gets half way it shuts off and I'm going alright in the process of taking the tank out. Any ideas
Old 02-18-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sound like the Transfer pump, the one on the left side of the tank, when looking at the car when standing behind it, is bad. Usually, the other (primary) pump goes bad first. My primary lasted for 255,000 miles before if failed intermittently.

I would replace both pumps if the secondary (Transfer) pump is bad.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Hard time cold start, radom missfire and hardly going past 3000 RPM

Hello guys, I’m the newest here I think! It'll be great if you could help me. I have read everything you have posted here (I think )
I’m very thankful and respect a lot all your good will to help each other;
My car is a ’07 Audi A8L 4.2 FSI Sport Suspenssion (US spect)

That said...
A typical day starts like this
Early morning having a hard time cold start, have to start it three to five times and accelerating it to keep 2000 RPM so it doesn’t die for about four minutes and then it idles just fine… then I drive but can't go past about 3000 RPM or accelerating hard because it starts coughing and engine almost stopping.
That said… I have replaced the fuel filter, three 614 relays(one under the ECU, one by the passenger footwell and the one in the battery compartment)
and also run the car unplugging the passenger footwell relay(the car runs the same, starts and drives but can’t get over 3000 RPM)
then run the car unplugging the battery compartment 614 relay(the car doesn’t start at all).
I did that following all the recommendations that I have read here but the information about unplugging the relays and the expected results didn’t match with my experience, so I proceeded to
test the fuel pumps (one at a time) physically unplugging(the right one) and the car started exactly the same and was able to stay running and drive, and then plugged it back and proceed to unplug the left fuel pump and the car started exactly the same and was able to stay running and drive(It surprised me and let me a little bit confused because it contradicts what I have read about your experiences) Can you help me? Thank you in advance!

Best
JJ

Old 01-05-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My car has 125,000 miles on the dash.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:11 PM
DA8
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like fuel pumps to me. It has been a long time since I changed mine. That was at 100K, I got 178K now. My theory was that 100K was about all they could get. Since I changed them I've changed out the fuel filter a few times thinking that would prolong the life a bit. But if the fuel filter is not changed out by the original owner (because Audi does not list it as a maintenance item) then I think the back pressure eventually just wears them out. I would change out both of them and don't worry about which one is bad. It does not matter which one is bad, they will both go out eventually anyway. Change them both out and you're good for another 100K. Done. It is a nasty job, you need an organic cartridge respirator. Inside the trunk there is no way to keep the trunk from filling with gas fumes.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just an FYI, I got 275,000 miles out of one of the original pumps and the other is still working fine with over 290,000 miles. 2004 with 4.2 BFM engine.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello JJ,
If all coils, plugs, timing, air and fuel supply are good, you may want to check your CAT's, as you most likely still have your X-pipe in place it will be harder for you to tell exhaust gas pressure at tail pipes, in the link below you will see that Chudlin had removed his X-pipe prior to his issue therefore it was easy for him to feel the difference in pressure between the left and right tailpipes when the issue arose, he had the same as you, misfires, stalling, and not being able to go over a certain RPM, as I said, if all air, fuel, spark, and timing is good, a clogged CAT gives the same symptoms you are experiencing.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...oblem-2933532/

Originally Posted by JJRDM
Hello guys, I’m the newest here I think! It'll be great if you could help me. I have read everything you have posted here (I think )
I’m very thankful and respect a lot all your good will to help each other;
My car is a ’07 Audi A8L 4.2 FSI Sport Suspenssion (US spect)

That said...
A typical day starts like this
Early morning having a hard time cold start, have to start it three to five times and accelerating it to keep 2000 RPM so it doesn’t die for about four minutes and then it idles just fine… then I drive but can't go past about 3000 RPM or accelerating hard because it starts coughing and engine almost stopping.
That said… I have replaced the fuel filter, three 614 relays(one under the ECU, one by the passenger footwell and the one in the battery compartment)
and also run the car unplugging the passenger footwell relay(the car runs the same, starts and drives but can’t get over 3000 RPM)
then run the car unplugging the battery compartment 614 relay(the car doesn’t start at all).
I did that following all the recommendations that I have read here but the information about unplugging the relays and the expected results didn’t match with my experience, so I proceeded to
test the fuel pumps (one at a time) physically unplugging(the right one) and the car started exactly the same and was able to stay running and drive, and then plugged it back and proceed to unplug the left fuel pump and the car started exactly the same and was able to stay running and drive(It surprised me and let me a little bit confused because it contradicts what I have read about your experiences) Can you help me? Thank you in advance!

Best
JJ
Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Quick Reply: Fuel pump problem?