A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel rail/system pressure too low

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel rail/system pressure too low

Hi all.
Had a rough start on Friday, check engine light came on along with ECS light. Had a bunch of codes throwing. It was all of sudden too. Any ideas, I've heard fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump relay (not sure where this is located) or other fuses since there are no bunch of electrical problems. Thanks is advance.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Had the same issue, changed the fuel pressure sensor and the same issues you described continued. I then replaced both my hpfp that sit on top of the engine (high pressure fuel pumps) and problem fixed. My car is a 2007 with the fsi engine, the pumps cost about $500 new and pretty straight forward installation took about 1 hour max. Hope that helps!
Old 05-27-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

You should make sure you don't have vacuum leaks, check all of the hoses you can. Half of those codes I had thrown when I accidentally knocked loose the big intake pipe behind the motor. SAI issues are a bear to track down, I hope there isn't actually an SAI issue.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you both. Will definitely check for loose connections first. Do either of you know where the fuel pump relay fuse is located just in case.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Update

Noticed gas leaking from driver's side hpfp. So will replace that.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:55 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

This is the best price I could find for the HPFP:

https://www.newaudiparts.com/oem-par...mp-07l127026ad

Also replace the seal:

WHT-005-184 Seal Ring

https://www.newaudiparts.com/oem-par...ring-wht005184
Old 05-28-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Seems that I'll need cam follower too. At least most of the sites I've looked at for the hpfp reccomend replacing as well. Can you think of anything else I need before I start this hopefully easy project.

By the way, wanted to change my fuel filter too. How the heck do get the under body off where the filter is. A couple of the fasteners look like bolts but the others I haven't seen.
Again, thank for your help.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:29 AM
Necromancer

Default HPFP RR

Well, AUDI recommends replacing the cam follower, and I did, not sure how necessary that was. As far as anything else, the new HPFP does not come with the little plug, you're supposed to swap them across. One of mine was frozen, so I had to order the plug. You might consider doing that.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...4-a6-06e127535

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, the fuel filter, main problem is a damn plastic nut that always breaks and you wind up zip stripping it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fuel Filter RR.pdf (230.4 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by ScottCNelson; 05-30-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: New Link
Old 06-05-2019, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Update to fuel pump and low pressure

Replaced hpfp on left side since it was leaking. Also new cam follower and fuel sensor. Still getting 13 codes. Checked out relay for pump, seemed fine with volt meter. I did notice something odd, the fuel pump fuse (20amp) in slot 31 wasn't there. Looked to see if someone bridged it, nothing. Car runs for about 30 seconds ECS and ESP lights both come on. Will replace right side hpfp soon (have a bunch of other bills too). Next up, will replace fuel filter in the rear and check main fuel pump too. Anything you might think is going on? Thx again.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 AM
Necromancer

Default It's Unlikely

Originally Posted by J8NR8
Replaced hpfp on left side since it was leaking. Also new cam follower and fuel sensor. Still getting 13 codes. Checked out relay for pump, seemed fine with volt meter. I did notice something odd, the fuel pump fuse (20amp) in slot 31 wasn't there. Looked to see if someone bridged it, nothing. Car runs for about 30 seconds ECS and ESP lights both come on. Will replace right side hpfp soon (have a bunch of other bills too). Next up, will replace fuel filter in the rear and check main fuel pump too. Anything you might think is going on? Thx again.
anything is bad on the low pressure side if you are not getting low pressure side codes, the G410 (itself notorious for failing) monitors and will through a code and MIL.

Also, Fuse 31 in the right fuse panel is for MPI engines only - I don't have one either.

Last edited by ScottCNelson; 06-06-2019 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel rail/system pressure too low