A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen Parking Light to LED SWAP (pic intensive)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiq45
Hey I'm having a lot of trouble of changing my drivers side bulb and ballast for my 2048 L anyone can help me with that have any pictures
Hey I'm having a lot of trouble of changing my drivers side HID bulb and ballast for my 2048 L anyone can help me with that have any pictures, or can call 917 860 5841 I'm in NYC if anyone know info on DIY
Hey I'm having a lot of trouble of changing my drivers side HID bulb and ballast for my 2048 L anyone can help me with that have any pictures, or can call 917 860 5841 I'm in NYC if anyone know info on DIY
That's excessive.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the Old post

It takes a lot of time and effort to post a detailed review on how to replace a simple light bulb. It seems so easy until you try to replace the DRL. The step by step guide was fantastic but even with the instructions it sure was tough to get my hand into the small hole and tight space on the drivers side to just remove the bulb. I could grab the wires leading to it but when trying to tug on them I was afraid of ripping them out from the socket housing. I could feel a lip on the housing and picked up a small hook that I fed in along my finger and with a little tug out popped the the fixture. The rest was easy putting the bulb in which was $4 a far cry from the $250 that the dealer wanted to put the bulb in. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dstgolf
It takes a lot of time and effort to post a detailed review on how to replace a simple light bulb. It seems so easy until you try to replace the DRL. The step by step guide was fantastic but even with the instructions it sure was tough to get my hand into the small hole and tight space on the drivers side to just remove the bulb. I could grab the wires leading to it but when trying to tug on them I was afraid of ripping them out from the socket housing. I could feel a lip on the housing and picked up a small hook that I fed in along my finger and with a little tug out popped the the fixture. The rest was easy putting the bulb in which was $4 a far cry from the $250 that the dealer wanted to put the bulb in. Thanks for your help.
Could you post a link to the bulbs you bought? having a hell of a time finding them. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2017, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MT Born
Could you post a link to the bulbs you bought? having a hell of a time finding them. Thanks!
Sorry for the delay in reply. I went to my Audi dealership and they eventually came up with the bulb I needed with a lot of confusion and effort. Apparently daytime running light is the same bulb used for tail light and other uses. Its a capless 12 volt 5 watt bulb. Look up 501 halogen or w5w on internet and you'll see the bulb. Can be found for $1-2. I'm sure I've seen these at Lowes/Home depot.

1. W5W Clear Sidelight Bulb
W5W 12V 5W Bulb.
Part Number (sku):- W5W 12V 5W Bulb.
Quantity Required:- 1.0
Make sure the one that you purchase has UV block, to prevent potential yellowing of your plastic headlight lenses.

T10 W5W 194 5W Glass Car Auto Super Bright White Replacement Halogen Light Lamp DC12V Car Light Sourse
7 orders
Price: US $2.30 / piece
Discount Price:
US $1.38 / piece 40% off 07h:14m:46s
Find more deals on the app
Emitting Color:
White
Shipping:
Free Shipping to Canada via China Post Ordinary Small Packet Plus
Estimated Delivery Time:39-60days
Quantity:
piece (1 piece available)
Total Price:
Depends on the product properties you select
Buy NowAdd to Cart
Add to Wish List (5 Adds)
Return Policy:
Returns accepted if product not as described, buyer pays return shipping fee; or keep the product & agree refund with seller. View details
Seller Guarantees:
On-time Delivery
60 days
Payment:
View More
Buyer Protection
Full Refund if you don't receive your order Full or Partial Refund , if the item is not as described
Learn More
T10 W5W 194 5W Glass Car Auto Super Bright White Replacement Halogen Light Lamp DC12V Car Light Sourse

Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is there a thread with working pictures? I need to do this, but it doesn't seem like something I could "figure out" on my own
Old 07-02-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CoolName
Is there a thread with working pictures? I need to do this, but it doesn't seem like something I could "figure out" on my own
If you right click on the photo icon and then select "open image in new browser window" you can see all the pictures.
I suspect the photos don't show on AudiWorld since it's an old post.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dstgolf
Linked here is my alternative way to change the parking light bulb if it is too stuck to pull out with the hook method.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-bulb-2959842/
Old 10-07-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lgball
I thought those inner set were the DRLs in the US? Parking lights are the amber, correct?

If these are the DRLs, I am doing this. I hate those Halogen lamps.

Larry
I prefer the halogen--softer. Hate the oncoming glare of LED. Hurts my eyes and its such a cold piercing light. Yuck!
Old 10-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think about 12 people have completely mistaken what these lights/bulbs are called and are for.

#1: The D3 Audi A8 does NOT have DLRs. No such thing on that version of the A8. ...not in North America anyway.

#2: parking lights are amber and are on the SIDES of the front AND rear of the car.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey all! Owner of a 2009 S8 D3 here. European spec. Can someone please tell me the type of bulbs I need to buy? or an amazon link etc? Also fog light type is H7 or H11? I am a bit confused. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Halogen Parking Light to LED SWAP (pic intensive)