A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone had clicking noises from front wheels parking/driving slowly? (NOT CV 's)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm experiencing it now as well on the drivers side. It seems to occur at low speed pulling into driveway turning wheels to straighten it out. Click clack creak then nothing. Then again, no particular reason. Stressed CV carrier or wheel bearing? Hmm.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had CVs go bad in my older VWs. This is a very different noise, a very high pitched and non-intrusive click.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

My noise--and what the TSB describes--are NOT the rotating parts of the wheel bearing. It isn't the hard clicking of a blown CV joint under load and turning that is usually pretty obvious windows up or down. Mine makes no noise or vibration at any normal road speeds or on road cornering like a bearing might. It is a tiny dry metallic click as I described, and occurs multiple times per wheel revolution. Per the TSB it seems to be the bearing shell and or hub casting moving or distorting ever so slightly against each other when under certain types of load, with the click apparently receiving the stress. Perhaps only ever heard in quiet, sound reflective environments, and for me only if windows are down and no other big noise sources (traffic, AC fan, etc.). As described in TSB, fix is to lubricate outer bearing shell with anti seize at a particular point around the circumference of the outer shell. But of course that basically means it is done only with bearing replacement as a practical post warranty matter. And, given what it is, I can see how a bearing replacement might result in either no change or actually provoking it if it isn't installed per the TSB idea.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-11-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
I'm experiencing it now as well on the drivers side. It seems to occur at low speed pulling into driveway turning wheels to straighten it out. Click clack creak then nothing. Then again, no particular reason. Stressed CV carrier or wheel bearing? Hmm.
Im having similar tickling tick tick noise at parking speed ~ every single time i step on the gas~
Did google search and led me to this thread~! Still no sure whats causing the noise , at first i thought it was the sensor or something,
Old 12-27-2015, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by nysid2007
Im having similar tickling tick tick noise at parking speed ~ every single time i step on the gas~
Did google search and led me to this thread~! Still no sure whats causing the noise , at first i thought it was the sensor or something,
As the thread above states, the wheel bearing is to blame. At this point, may as well replace it/them and follow the tsb's procedure of adding a coating to the contact surfaces.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
As the thread above states, the wheel bearing is to blame. At this point, may as well replace it/them and follow the tsb's procedure of adding a coating to the contact surfaces.
Understood ~!! I will have them inspected and see if it needs to be replaced ~!
Old 12-27-2015, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some people said ~ it could be the auxiliary heater making the ticking sound . Any thought?? Also front and rear has different partsnumber for it from audiparts.com
So I guess fronts and rear wheel bearings are different correct??