A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone noticed after the MMI s/w/ upgrade, when you press the TEL button...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone noticed after the MMI s/w/ upgrade, when you press the TEL button...

It now says the phone is not installed and to see your Audi Dealer for installation, or something like that. You think my dreams could be coming true or is AoA just teasing me?

-P
Old 10-24-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEASE!

After my upgrade the MMI still has "voice commands"; however the screen you have is what the new "Bluetooth" will look like when they are installed in the 2005 models.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Here is the real tease and some relation to the C6 A6 which has bluetooth...

I picked up a C6 4.2 last week as an early gift for my mom and have played around a little with it. Never the less here is the NA list for bluetooth phones. The cradle mount is the same as the current D3's with OnStar telematics. Note however that starting with week 46 build OnStar will be phased out and replaced with Bluetooth on D3's and completely phased out of all Audi vehicles by MY 2006.

"What is Bluetooth®*?
Bluetooth is the name of a wireless technology standard, which allows different types of electronic devices to interact via short-range radio waves. Because of the versatility of Bluetooth wireless technology, enabled devices do not share all of the same profiles. The Audi phone preparation with Bluetooth system is compatible with Bluetooth-enabled phones that have a hands-free profile. The standard allows a wide range of devices to communicate with each other, with minimal user effort.

Currently the Audi Phone Preparation with Bluetooth is available in the all-new 2005 A6. It will also be available with the 2005 A8 model, scheduled for release early in 2005.

*Your Audi vehicle is equipped with a phone preparation utilizing Bluetooth® interface to enable hands-free functionality (compatible mobile phones sold separately). You will need a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone in order to utilize this function. Not all Bluetooth enabled mobile phone models are compatible with Audi's phone preparation. Visit our web site, audiusa.com, or contact your local Audi dealer, for the latest listing of compatible phones. Audi recommends the use of the Audi phone cradle (sold separately) with your mobile phone while operating this vehicle"

"If using a cradle, the phone needs to be docked in the cradle. If you are using Bluetooth, the phone needs to be powered on with Bluetooth active and paired to the vehicle.

You can now send calls without touching the phone using 1 of 2 methods:

Via Steering Wheel and Voice Control (on vehicles with voice control)
Press the "Talk" button on the steering wheel.
Say "Dial Number." The vehicle will ask you what number you would like to call.
Say the number you would like to call in one continuous string or in groups of numbers. The vehicle will confirm the number.
Say "Dial" and the number will be dialed.

Via Audi MMI
Using the MMI control **** enter the numbers you would like to call
Turn the MMI control **** to "OK" and press down.

To receive calls, do one of the following:
Press the "Talk" button on the steering wheel.
Press the soft-key "Answer call" on the MMI."<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/common/images/bluetooth.pdf">http://www.audiusa.com/common/images/bluetooth.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 10-24-2004, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

so is there or isn't there a retro fit for our D3s?
Old 10-24-2004, 11:16 AM

Default I don't think there will be one offered but...

I do beleive it will be possible to retrofit it at our own expense by switching out the OnStar control unit with the bluetooth control module. Only time and experimenting will tell.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice post....there's no reason you couldn't do it yourself, however...

I'm sure it would wind up costing $1000+
Old 10-25-2004, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default I bet it would be more than that

You have to get a new telematics box, plus you it will most likely leave the OnStar stranded, and the 42 pin connector on the Telematics box will have to be rewired at least slightly to match the new Telematics box.

But it could be simpler than that, I don't know.

And there is no way that Audi is going to sell a replacement Telematics box for less than $1000 I would think, and you'd have to install it and have vag-com or have somebody do it for you.

But maybe they will offer it for $500?? But I doubt it, they charge $600 for a V60 phone and another $100 for the cradle for the D3, didn't they?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:28 AM

Default don't think so

I talked with AoA last week regarding possible Bluetooth upgrades. They said that they were not planning an upgrade/retrofit for the '04s or early '05s. I checked further to find out if I could acquire just the cradle for my BlueTooth phone (and install the car kit myself with Paul's help). Not all listed phones (lists that I have seen here on the forum) will have immediate availability of cradles (specifically not for my Mot v500).
Old 10-25-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Re: I bet it would be more than that

Do any of you know if we can buy the optional cradle whether or not the handsfree will work with any V60? If so, why not save the 600 bucks and only purchase the cradle?
Old 10-26-2004, 02:55 AM

Default V-60

V-60 is only voice activated while "Bluetooth" has interface with MMI.The cradle is different since the phone is also different.