A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Replaced pre-cat Lambda (Oxygen) Sensor Without Removing Manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Sorry, I don't get this component reference in general--mixing history

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Thanks, interesting what Audi had to do to get those 10-cylinders past US EPA *****!

In that cross-reference are the wire lengths & connectors the same? Curious, not argumentative. I've personally used the "generic" Bosch lambda sensors without any trouble many times. I think the key is weather proof crimp terminals - they have built-in shrink tubing (i.e., the plastic part of the terminal shrinks to become one with its mate) covered with another layer of heat shrink tubing. Just bought a pack of these; they actually solder and shrink simultaneously with a heat gun or a crack torch (I have one in my "road" toolbox for soldering and shrink tubing)! Great reviews but kinda pricey. Have not tried one yet.

I've been crossing Bosch parts for my Alfa since (pre-internet!) 1989... The dealer would give an Alfa/Ferrari P/N and it'd be, say, $250. There was a tiny Bosch authorized shop down the road and he'd cross them over to the "root" Bosch number and it'd be $50.
I know exactly what these connectors are. I posted on them for the W12 repair, when you need to do the car side of the wiring harness and connector for O2 sensors. For a straight sensor replace, this is kind of yesteryear mid 80s stuff to me (for me, the 1985 Audi 5000S). For modern Bosch, if you just get the correct five digit part number, you then have the correct sensor, correct wire length and correct connector color for $80 to 100, instead of $200+ via dealer.

Yes, you can start down the road of concluding the wideband sensors are essentially generic, and assume your connector or nearby conductors is not actually the issue. Since you will be splicing that is--that is a big assumption BTW and contradicted by W12 experience and fragility of the signal (non power) individual conductors in the overall O2 wire set. Then you can proceed to do the solder in repair (takes two people realistically--BTDT with those specific Tyco connectors), and then either dynamite the wiring harness tape with plastic electrical tape that will fall off in a year, or do it right with the Audi cloth tape that will cost you another tens of dollars.

Net, notice some "***-u-m-ptions" in here and essentially the (non-)economics if you just get the right Bosch sensor by 5 digit #, let alone risk of a connector (or proximity) related failure. There is a time for those Tyco type connectors and I have used them quite successfully on 02 W12 work specifically on the car harness and connector side where you have no other option anyway realistically. Plus, I have used generic 02's back in yesteryear before full plug compatible ones were offered by Bosch. (The old ones were also either simple two wire, or 3 wire heated, and way before the internal electric feedback check systems that often drive the errors/codes now). But in my practical judgment and experience, this is not the scenario really, unless and until following a sensor replace you still have a conductor related O2 error and then conclude it is on the car side of the final connector that comes with the sensor. That is the W12 specific issue for example, and documented in a W12 specific TSB. But here it should be much simpler--plug and play replace a simple O2 at the connector and move on. Use the Bosch one OES at +/- $80-100, or Audi one at 2 1/2x that.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-16-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
Thanks, interesting what Audi had to do to get those 10-cylinders past US EPA *****!

In that cross-reference are the wire lengths & connectors the same? Curious, not argumentative. I've personally used the "generic" Bosch lambda sensors without any trouble many times. I think the key is weather proof crimp terminals - they have built-in shrink tubing (i.e., the plastic part of the terminal shrinks to become one with its mate) covered with another layer of heat shrink tubing....
Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I know exactly what these connectors are. I posted on them for the W12 repair, when you need to do the car side of the wiring harness and connector for O2 sensors. For a straight sensor replace, this is kind of yesteryear mid 80s stuff to me (for me, the 1985 Audi 5000S). For modern Bosch, if you just get the correct five digit part number, you then have the correct sensor, correct wire length and correct connector color for $80 to 100, instead of $200+ via dealer.

Yes, you can start down the road of concluding the wideband sensors are essentially generic, and assume your connector or nearby conductors is not actually the issue. Since you will be splicing that is--that is a big assumption BTW and contradicted by W12 experience and fragility of the signal (non power) individual conductors in the overall O2 wire set. Then you can proceed to do the solder in repair (takes two people realistically--BTDT with those specific Tyco connectors), and then either dynamite the wiring harness tape with plastic electrical tape that will fall off in a year, or do it right with the Audi cloth tape that will cost you another tens of dollars.

Net, notice some "***-u-m-ptions" in here and essentially the (non-)economics if you just get the right Bosch sensor by 5 digit #, let alone risk of a connector (or proximity) related failure...
...Use the Bosch one OES at +/- $80-100, or Audi one at 2 1/2x that.
Got it. Wilco. Good to know that the wire length and connectors are exactly the same; that was my main concern, given the number of connector- and wire-related problems on this vintage Audis as evidenced by all the posts about pin, connector, and wire related fault codes, especially in the harsh environment + necessary signal accuracy lambda sensor department. Thanks.

Audi cloth tape... must buy immediately. Probably won't ever need it. The story of my (garage) life.

"***-u-m-ptions". Yes, I see you attended university!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do anyone know wich one the oxygen sensor B4S1 is?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Alexxelax
Do anyone know wich one the oxygen sensor B4S1 is?
B4 S1 means the forward sensors (S1) before the main converters. Bank 4 is the rear of the motor on the right side when you look under the hood--U.S. or Continental Europe driver's side. I'll leave you to figure out which sensor in turn is in the diagram for that rear part of the motor--on an S8 I think the down pipes do some up and down bends like headers so the diagram is confusing. PaulW (more frequent on QuattroWorld than here) and one other poster or two) have dealt with the O2's on an S8. W12 ones turn out to be a lot easier to reach apparently.
The following users liked this post:
therealfleen (07-28-2022)
Old 05-26-2015, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, so senor 4 before cat IV
Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct
Old 05-28-2015, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
W12 ones turn out to be a lot easier to reach apparently.
MP, are you sure? I "heard" that actually there are two sensors on the W12 that are impossible to swap without dropping engine. The two post cat, most forward ones. B1S2 and B2S2, right?

These two - in red:

I have this recurring nightmare of that happening.... Again....

Last edited by carl viking; 05-28-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by carl viking
MP, are you sure? I "heard" that actually there are two sensors on the W12 that are impossible to swap without dropping engine. The two post cat, most forward ones. B1S2 and B2S2, right?

These two - in red:

I have this recurring nightmare of that happening.... Again....
Post cat ones, yes nightmare on W12, but not pre cat ones. The pre cat ones (four total) are screwed into the exhaust manifolds (broken into three cylinders each) and with the right technique can be done under hood with a simple crows foot wrench. Did it myself, both the forward and rearward manifold locations. Way easier than my C5 4.2 where I literally had to climb on top of the motor crouched under the hood and reach down blind to get at those sensors. If you look at the S8 diagram below, apparently the forward sensors (the S1 type) are still back behind the motor instead of to the sides like the W12. That's the difference from pretty easy, to at least pain in butt like my C5 was, and sometimes worse.

Fortunately, pre cat ones are the ones that usually fail (if they do) rather than post cat. The post cat ones don't have the heating element either so are simpler in design.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-28-2015 at 07:50 PM.