A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a8 ... either bluetooth/aux

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a8 ... either bluetooth/aux

Hey guys i have a 2007 a8L thinking of installing something so i can stream music from from my iphone (pandora) to car audio. Anyput? is aux wire better than bluetooth all i care about is sound quality. If my car currently has no Iphone adaptor or maybe i think its called ami adaptor?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nimesh
Hey guys i have a 2007 a8L thinking of installing something so i can stream music from from my iphone (pandora) to car audio. Anyput? is aux wire better than bluetooth all i care about is sound quality. If my car currently has no Iphone adaptor or maybe i think its called ami adaptor?
No the stock Bluetooth will not stream. You can retrofit the AMI unit next to the CD changer which will stream music. Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Where can i buy ami unit what do you recc in brand
Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default At times on eBay or classified sites about Audi parts...

either here or via Europe. In total, you need the head unit brain, the optical and electrical wiring splice (the optical part is the more valuable/hard to DIY here), and the end connector for your choice of device--iPod 30 pin (no Lightning so far), various USB's, etc. You can dynamite/eliminate the splice part by just putting the brain in place of the CD player and then avoiding having to extend the optical loop it uses. But then there is no CD player and no ability to run software updates like MMI without putting the CD unit back. Most seem to do it the more complete way, and as the factory always did. As a 2007, you should already be at least at the lowest level of MMI software rev. necessary for it (3360 or later is needed); and to be at that MMI level in turn IIRC you need to be at Nav disk v 5 (the MY 2005 original one), which is really only an issue for vintage 2004's.

Some report it just has worked over the years w/out further coding; I coded mine per the retrofit install instructions, which takes VAG COM/VCDS as you are asking about in the other post. Also, to get streaming you then need to use an ancillary device with it (once but no longer sold by Audi, though a bit of inventory may still be findable). Figure a dedicated old throw away IPod or iPod Touch or old iPhone that still works even with a screwed up screen or microphone or whatever is a better slave player than trying to juggle it with plugging and removing a functional phone constantly. Out in the fringes, I just blew past the upper edge of my 32G old iTouch at around 3,000 tracks and 200+ CD's at 320kb AAC, so tracked down a used 4G iTouch to go to 64GB; meantime I stepped back to 256kb AAC to fit it w/ room to spare--realistically that is likely good enough for even D3 A8 Bose anyway. For most, 32 or even 16GB would likely be plenty, which then means a lot of phones already retired can get there too without having to use too much compression.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-22-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I opted for a 6' Ami cable with a 1/8" stereo jack. The stock Ami cable for ipod works fine for the ipod family of devices. I have an Android note 2 with alot of music on it. I found that the Ami-usb adapters would not work with many devices.
I took the cable from the ami plug, routed it slighty under the center console and brought it up near the passenger seat belt receptacle.
The sound quality is good, honestly I have only used it maybe twice in the last three months. I have enough options with the xm.
Good luck, hope you find something that works for you.