A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate to beat a dead horse but....air suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if it is just that corner then more than likely a strut. I have found that you can get a pair of new struts from 1a auto for about 900 bucks. They are out of stock until about April though. or so they tell me anyways.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
I'm experiencing the left front leak overnight issue now.
Sometimes also after a 12hr day at work also. I am thinking strut at this point, but will have to do some leak checking come spring time. Pumps right up when comes out of sleep mode via the reservoir.
You should not wait spring to attend this. It can kill your compressor by than.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you don't mind limping around you can leave your car in jack mode. Then the compressor never turns on

*This is not advised! Just a joke *
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
You should not wait spring to attend this. It can kill your compressor by than.
I was afraid you were going to say that Mishar.
I've read up on the whole leak/relay/compressor issues. I'm not thrilled already. Luckilly it still is holding under regular operation, I am only driving 13 miles per day and I have other vehicles to drive. 65hr work week cuts into my testing/wrenching time and I am not going to bring it to the stealership if this is something I can do myself.
Nick, thanks for the heads up, I'll be doing some price shopping for sure. (And NOT driving around in jack mode)
Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Conlon
If you don't mind limping around you can leave your car in jack mode. Then the compressor never turns on

*This is not advised! Just a joke *
Unfortunately it wont work. Jack mode. Joke works. It goes off at 5 mph (8 km/h).
Old 01-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For all its ups and downs, there is an example of your Audi saving your butt once again. :P
Old 01-10-2014, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The $900 seems like a very good deal. I just did this replacement (front passenger side) a few weeks ago. I bought my strut through Partsgeek and it is an Arnott Industries rebuilt strut. I paid ~$675, and I am still waiting on my core charge refund. The repair took me around 4 hours, and it would have been a good hour shorter but I had problems getting the pinch bolt out in order to free the upper control arms.

Last edited by jmhjgh; 01-10-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
I'm experiencing the left front leak overnight issue now.
Sometimes also after a 12hr day at work also. I am thinking strut at this point, but will have to do some leak checking come spring time. Pumps right up when comes out of sleep mode via the reservoir.
Chris, are you seeing anything in your VAGCOM scans?

i am pretty consistently getting a drop on both front and rear for that matter over night. not a complete drop by measurements, and they all seem to be equally dropping. i get nothing on my scans and haven't seen the yellow or green light yet.

i would have expected to see that 01583 come up if there was a leak, but again nothing on the scans.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Zed,
Hopefully between today and tomorrow I will run a vag-com scan on the car. I am suspecting I won't find a leak error. Yesterday with it snowing in the morning I left the car in "lift" mode for the drive to work. Came out to left front low (but not slammed), right front was also lower. Now I am thinking metering block as well, or both struts? I'll do the scan first then some leak checking. Not sure when I'll get the the leak check. Rears appear to be unaffected at this point.
Oh. Drove home in "dynamic" readjusted to "lift", allowed it time to adjust and then parked it in jack mode, same results at 5am.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Scanned when I got home, no errors. I think I went in the right area and checked compressor pressure and temp. Cycled the suspension up and down, watched the vavling open and closing etc.
Both front were noticeably lower when I got out of work. Damn.

Quick Reply: Hate to beat a dead horse but....air suspension issue