A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headrest swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headrest swap

I finally picked up a set of the comfort headrests for the front seat off ebay. But now I'm not exactly sure how to get the original head rests out. I raised them to the top using the electronic switch on the front seat controls... thinking they might just pop out with a little bit of force. But not wanting to break anything, they didn't seem to come out using that strategy! Is there some nifty trick to getting them out? THX.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Apparently there are 2 cotter pins that need to be removed to get the headrests out... This requires access to the seat workings from the back panel. I dug up a reference to removing the upper back rest panel in the Bentley: but where it says "releasing the clips" is not completely obvious on how to do that!
  • 1 - Top backrest panel
  • Removing
  • Move upper backrest completely forward.
  • Release clips - 2 - (Qty. 4). Insert a flat screwdriver into clip and turn it clockwise until clip releases.
  • Disengage backrest cover - 1 - upward from brackets - 3 - (Qty. 2).

Old 12-10-2017, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order to remove the backrest cover you should insert your fingers between the cover and the seat on the upper part of the cover, and the pull towards yourself.
The cover is fixed with just one clip in the upper part, and it has two 'dints' in the lower part which are inserted in two gaps. When you manage to loosen that clip, you can just lift the cover up.
Be careful, it is very easy to damage the area on the cover that keeps the clip in place. I always did. Actually, each time I removed the backrest, the clip remained in the metal frame with the plastic enclosure that belonged to the cover. But you can glue the plastic enclosure back with bi-component epoxy resin adhesive.

I don't know if this is the official method to remove the cover, but it's how I did it. Do it at your own risk
Old 12-10-2017, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the great responses! I finally managed to get that upper back panel off. Yes I have a 5 seater. I snapped a picture of the panel once it was removed so other can see what they are dealing with! Well my pic is of half the panel... there are a total of 4, so 2 more clips like the ones shown in the pic.

The 2 cotter pins are inserted into white plastic pieces (one for each arm) that you can see if you lower the headrest to almost the bottom of its travel. You also need to arch the upper portion of the seat forward as far as it will go... this will widen the opening to get better access to the pins.

The pins come out fairly easily... (so watch out that they don't go flying once they are out) then the headrests slide out easy. Put the new headrests in and right to the bottom of their travel and the will go right into those plastic pieces.

Putting the cotter pins is probably the hardest part. The pins are flat on one side and curved on the other... and are very tight. Requires a hefty push! I used a pair of very small needle nose pliers that had a bend near the tips (by design), to allow better grip on the pins!

Now that they are done... those Comfort headrests are fantastic!!! A must have upgrade IMHO.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Let me ask a question to clarify: do you have a four seater (like most W12's) or is it the usual 5 seater?
The only things that differs between the two are the rear seats (except if you have the folding table as an option for the front passenger seat).
The op said he wanted the comfort headrests which, as far as I know, are available as an option only for front seats.
Originally Posted by 97urS6
I finally managed to get that upper back panel off.
Can you please tell us how you did it? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a diagram i put upin an old thread

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...cover-2914053/
Old 12-11-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silkworm
The only things that differs between the two are the rear seats (except if you have the folding table as an option for the front passenger seat).
The op said he wanted the comfort headrests which, as far as I know, are available as an option only for front seats.

Can you please tell us how you did it? Thanks.
An interesting thought... I wonder if the comfort headrests would fit in the rear seats? That. being said, I put the set that I just bought in the front!!! :-)

The "upper back panel" of the front seats can be removed by pretty much following the instructions in Bentley (although it doesn't appear that straight forward). Basically use the flat-head screw driver that comes with the tool kit. Feel for the 4 clips from the top with your fingers, start with the outter clips, as you can feel them easier. Then insert the screw driver between the 2 plastic pieces of the clip... one piece that is on the seat-back, and the other piece is on the upper back panel. The clip is a very simple push in type clip, the screw driver is basically used to pry them apart, nothing tricky there, they pop out quite easy. Once you have popped all 4 clips, then lift the upper back panel upwards as the outside edge has a plastic tab that holds the outside of the panel nice a snug.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting the cotter pins is probably the hardest part. The pins are flat on one side and curved on the other... and are very tight. Requires a hefty push! I used a pair of very small needle nose pliers that had a bend near the tips (by design), to allow better grip on the pins!

Now that they are done... those Comfort headrests are fantastic!!! A must have upgrade IMHO.

You could have put the cotter pins in first then just gave the headrest a light push to engage them. I only know this as, I was in the final stages of this upgrade whenever I couldn't get the cotter pins to seat so, I though, maybe the pins go and first and the headrest locks in. Sure enough my assumption was right and saved me a lot of hassle and time, shame I didn't catch this post earlier.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

An interesting thought... I wonder if the comfort headrests would fit in the rear seats? That. being said, I put the set that I just bought in the front!!! :-).
I thought about this but haven't got around to doing it yet with my spare set just too busy at the moment and it seems like I'm forever taking this car apart :-)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
I thought about this but haven't got around to doing it yet with my spare set just too busy at the moment and it seems like I'm forever taking this car apart :-)
Keep an eye out on eBay for a set, as they show up often. I managed to get my set for $75. Secondly, considering that just one front headrest from Audi costs $750, I think I got a good deal. One thing that surprised me is how much it cost to ship these headrests, they weigh more than they look and collectively take up a lot of space.

Quick Reply: Headrest swap