A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Module Compatibility Programming - VCDS

Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS Module Compatibility Programming - VCDS

Is anyone aware of the compatibility of ABS modules between modules? I have a 2007 S8 with module 4e0614517h46, and I noticed that a 2008 has part 4e0 614 517 h 49. Do you know if I can use a module from an A8 with part 4e0 614 517 h 29 ?

I have VCDS for full programming as necessary.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2020, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Guess not
Old 03-03-2020, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Based on what I have seen, modules are fairly interchangeable. I would think an ABS module is one of those that is more capable of being swapped without issue.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

FYI, the part number for 2007 is 4E0614517AB H46, for 2009 I saw a part listed as 4E0614517AE H49, so there must be slightly different part numbers.

I tried one from an A4 with part number ESP 01249 and it wasn't even recognized.

It also appears that Audi has a Repair Kit Control Unit For Abs with part number 4E0998375L for about $1074
https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pr...E0998375L.html

At this point I ended up scouring for the exact module fit at junkyards, and I finally found one for a reasonable price. It's 50/50 that it is also damaged, but the yard has a 90 policy so I'll try it.

I'll update the thread when I get it installed and tested.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Had the ABS controller rebuilt

Module Masters rebuilt mine. It was pricey, 350.00.
Have a huge issue. The front brake line connecting to pump now leaks. The is the big nut on top in front.
It leaked on reinstall. Have chased threads, in pump and in fitting. It screws in by hand and bottoms out hard. Line is locked down.
Applying 5 psi shows a slow leak around the M12 fitting. I have inspected male and female.
Any ideas?
Old 03-07-2020, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Have a huge issue. The front brake line connecting to pump now leaks. The is the big nut on top in front.
It leaked on reinstall. Have chased threads, in pump and in fitting. It screws in by hand and bottoms out hard. Line is locked down.
Applying 5 psi shows a slow leak around the M12 fitting. I have inspected male and female.
Any ideas?
Not a typical car app, but how about your basic plumber's thread seal paste? Use a branded one. I use Rector Seal 5 usually--the yellow toothpaste tube stuff you can get at a hardware store. Or Rector Seal T+2. I recall the Rector Seal 5 is used in home natural gas pipes, so more likely up to questions about brake fluid. My instinct is to use a paste here over straight teflon tape. For any of those pesky water leaks--or gas pipe pressure testing--always works for me.

FWIW, to fix ABS control computer board, approach I used on C5 is just unfasten it from side of ABS pump unit. Depending on model, some things may be in the way to be cleared, but better than pulling the brake lines. For next time perhaps...
Old 03-07-2020, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Any ideas?
Panhead, nice job hijacking my thread, hehe, no worries at least someone responded. If you are located anywhere near socal I'll give you th pump that is coming with my replacement module I ordered from a wrecking yard. The wrecking yards just cut the lines off with snips so the threads should be untouched.

Thread paste or tape is a good idea, however brake fluid eats about everything, so I'd be weary of anything that would disintegrate and contaminate the brake system.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update, so the module I received from the wrecking yard didn't work at all, module not reachable on vcds. I also picked up another module from an A8 while I was at the Pick-n-Pull for $25 I figured it was worth the try. This module took awhile to program. I had to use the original cars login code and then program would accept only the original cars setup. So once I'm programmed it for an A8 it accepted the programming but said module error in the codes. On top of that problem, this module also threw the code of front right speed sensor which means it probably has the same solder broken inside it as my old module.

Anyways I'm waiting for the exact part number module to arrive from the East Coast on shipping ground from a wrecking yard. This should be here next week. If that does not work I will have to take that one apart and attemp my solder job again this time a lot more carefully.

Module Masters is not an option since I fried my old one attempting to solder it. The fine gold wires or damaged by the Goo.

These things are such garbage I'm so amazed that Bosch did not get a class action lawsuit on this.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default All these ABS controllers are heat srnsitive

My A8 controller was heat sensitive. It cold weather (50 is cold here) it was fine for 5 minutes. Then ABS, parking brake, and beep when moving from a stop. It warm weather, the other 11 months a year, lights on startup.
After two years I gave in to fixing.
Wife’s 335 did this for 5 years, but no beep. Lived with the lights and error messages. Module Masters got his resolved. Not a Bosch unit high.
Good luck, a friend recommended replacing my pump and controller to fix leak. I knew this is more difficult than it should be.
Fixing your old one might be the best route. Someone is competent is soldering these hair sized wires.