A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help bringing her back from dead. Immobilizer and suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help bringing her back from dead. Immobilizer and suspension?

Hey guys I appreciate any intel you can send my way.

2004 Audi A8 with 58k on clock.
Extremely clean but suffered some water damage due to sun roof leak.
Came with a single key no fob

Here is where I am right now with it.

Car was dead when I got it. Managed to get into the trunk through the ski boot and installed a new battery.

It was apparent**right away that the MMI had gotten wet so I ordered a new board and installed. Radio works fine now.**But still no startup.**In fact I can’t read any codes from engine or transmission.**

Ordered a new key and key FOB from dealer but have not programmed.**I have been using valet key.

Questions at this point are:

Do you have to have a key in the ignition that is programmed to the immobilizer for the air suspension to pump up? When I try to access the suspension through the MMI I’m getting no response but that might be due to immobilizer?

Is there anyway to bypass immobilizer and get the suspension to pump up.?

What are the two little modules underneath the driver seat?

I am getting a 01176 key fault code when I scan the Immobilizer in Vagcom.**

I’m trying to decide where to head next I was thinking that getting someone that can program the new key and FOB might be a start But with the suspension as low as it is towing would be tough.**Can A locksmith program The keys to the car?

My suspicion is that If the immobilizer or key is not working properly that none of the other systems will work either. Is that correct? *Literally it will not turn over no fuel pump no click no nothing.**

I have been documenting the whole process on video and when I get this figured out intend on creating a short youtube covering my trouble shooting.**

Thanks for any advice in advance.

JohnR
Old 01-29-2019, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you tried forcing the system awake with the brake pedal+hazard lights+high beams? Without being able to get the electrics to wake up, it's difficult to diagnose anything. Assuming the fuses are good for everything, you will probably have a few modules needing replacement.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I tried that tonight when I installed the MMI but a quick question if the immobilizer or key was not working would you still be able to wake it up?
Old 01-29-2019, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Johndr1973
Yes I tried that tonight when I installed the MMI but a quick question if the immobilizer or key was not working would you still be able to wake it up?
I think it should, but there are other members here who may be able to give you a better idea. I'm sure Gio will chime in, he's been rebuilding a Bentley that I think was water damaged in his spare time.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default One of those modules is Onstar (useless now), forget what other one is

I swapped out Onstar and replaced with OEM BT module. Obviously you’re not at the upgrade stage yet.

Good luck, interested to see the details.