A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with carpet removal to access BT module

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with carpet removal to access BT module

So I managed to remove the lower A pillar and the foot rest.Lost the screw from the foot rest under the box that holds the module.Also the middle clip on the A pillar broke.
Before I do more damage I was wondering if I have to remove the carpet completely.
In other words remove the collar of accelerator pedal stop as well as remove the carpet from the clips on center console.
Could the carpet be moved enough without removing the collar?

2 is the collar.

Thank you

Last edited by johnd64; 01-27-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnd64

So I managed to remove the lower A pillar and the foot rest.Lost the screw from the foot rest under the box that holds the module.Also the middle clip on the A pillar broke.
Before I do more damage I was wondering if I have to remove the carpet completely.
In other words remove the collar of accelerator pedal stop as well as remove the carpet from the clips on center console.
Could the carpet be moved enough without removing the collar?

2 is the collar.

Thank you
I can check my ElsaWin. Will get back to you shortly.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbell
I can check my ElsaWin. Will get back to you shortly.
Check out this link for Audi's guide to removing the bluetooth module. There are several people who have removed the telematics and/or bluetooth module without removing the seat though, it may just be a case where you aren't pulling the carpet back enough. Anyway here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g5jymg571...rxhxNQena?dl=0
Old 01-28-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the instructions.I know some people removed the module without taking the seat out.I just don't know if they had to remove the collar or not.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just remove the seal trim and third pedal (foot rest), move the seat all way to back and you can easily reach the module.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I don't need need to remove the collar from the acceleration pedal?
I already had the trim out and the dead pedal but was afraid to proceed.
The carpet does go up (curves up) behind the pedals.Its tucked behind some plastic piece.
Do I pull it out from there??
Old 01-28-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already had the trim out and the dead pedal but was afraid to proceed.
The carpet does go up (curves up) behind the pedals.Its tucked behind some plastic piece.
Do I pull it out from there??
​​​​​You only need to push the carpet out of the way to get at the module. I wrote this procedure for you when you posted this last time. Follow it and you will get it out. If you run into issue during this process, then please post as to where you are stumped. The carpet does not need to be removed, just pushed out of the way. (As I stated this was the PITA part.

Power seat all the way back. Remove lower strip along door frame and the panel forward of that so carpet can be pulled (use pry tool if you like). You must also remove the left foot rest plate which is secured by a screw, (maybe 2) get in there and look and you will see. I broke one pulling on the carpet thinking I could get carpet out (MEANT TO SAY "OUT OF THE WAY")without removing it. Glued small piece back on and is now fine. The carpet is pretty hard to get out of the way, as it is thick and form fitted. I wrestled with mine the first time to put in the loop while I waited to find module. When I got back in there after getting my module I got the carpet pushed back as far as possible and braced it up with a board. The module is inside a protective hard plastic case which I found easier to open with the carpet supported with the board, as I needed both hands to open the case and disconnect and remove case. After removing the case replace module and replace case and connectors.
Before replacing carpet I would test unit to be sure it works. Then put it all back together. The hardest part is getting that dam piece of carpet out of the way. Be prepared to use a couple of choice words.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

With all do respect, which part of "just" is not clear?
Old 01-29-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did read your posting the first time but when you go and do it it's not that obvious.
You push the carpet sideways (towards the passenger seat in other words) or you can pull it from under the pedals towards the rear.Thats why I was reluctant to proceed.I will try to push it sideways.
The instructions only mention opening the case not removing it.
I would like it if it can be removed as I might be able to find the screw from the pedal.
From your description it sounds like you did remove the plastic case.
Just worried about damaging something.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did read your posting the first time but when you go and do it it's not that obvious.
You push the carpet sideways (towards the passenger seat in other words) or you can pull it from under the pedals towards the rear.Thats why I was reluctant to proceed.I will try to push it sideways.
The instructions only mention opening the case not removing it.
I would like it if it can be removed as I might be able to find the screw from the pedal.
From your description it sounds like you did remove the plastic case.
Just worried about damaging something.
Yes, push the carpet toward the passenger side. It will be very hard to get it up enough which is why I suggested a board to hold it once you had the clearance needed.
My case/housing was not secured in any way. You will need to open the case, disconnect the cables, remove case/housing, (find scew if it's there) place new module into housing, replace case/housing, connect cables, test unit. If test passes, you won the battle. Good luck.
I see you started separate post when you had problem with foot rest removal. As I was told when I first joined this forum and needed help, don't start a bunch of new posts as things can get confusing.
I have relied on the people on this forum several times and they have always come through. This is an outstanding group of people that I hope will always be there for us.

By the way, if you plan on DIY, be sure to buy a VCDS from Ross Tech and the Bentley manual. You will not regret it.

Quick Reply: help with carpet removal to access BT module