A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help please a8l tyre baulding bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please a8l tyre baulding bad

hi is there anyone who can help i have a audi a8l 2007 i have replace all the arms and d links myself plus change the lower links with adjustable ones all my tyres were brand new at the time but now they have worn right down to the canvas on the inside edge were the rest of the tyre is still at 7mm any idea's would be great thank you
Old 02-12-2017, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Your wheel alignment is way overdue. So alignment ASAP.

What are those lower links with adjustment and why?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Upper control arm bushings. Search--post on probably 200+ times now, including (by me) the tire wear aspect.

Honestly, if you replaced all the arms, that may be counterproductive. I would always prefer used OE lower arms showing no obvious issues over "great deal" kit of dubious origin and/or quality. D3 issues are limited to the upper bushings 95% of the time, esp. if you see the oft confirming tire wear.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have adjustable lower arms because the car has been lowered, what I would do is set the car height to factory specs, put good OEM upper and lower arms on it, get a 4 wheel alignment, and 4 new tires and call it done.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
If you have adjustable lower arms because the car has been lowered, what I would do is set the car height to factory specs, put good OEM upper and lower arms on it, get a 4 wheel alignment, and 4 new tires and call it done.
thanks for all your reply's all the arms were gen ill get the aliment done and see how it goes
Old 02-12-2017, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by coltnavy1851
thanks for all your reply's all the arms were gen ill get the aliment done and see how it goes
What about those adjustable lower links? Let us know more about that.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

What is "gen ill"?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
What is "gen ill"?
Geniune, I'll (I will)
I think he must be young or just text talk
Old 02-13-2017, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was/am having similar issues with inside edge wear. Replaced upper control arm bushings & tie-rod end u-links....though on inspection when I removed both neither really needed it.

Had an alignment done at my local independent shop, to both of our amazement things were really not out of spec (most was in spec, some was barely out of spec...and I mean barely).

Nothing else was blatantly obvious as an issue - though I've spotted that my lower arms may need inside bushings (but was thinking that would more likely affect caster rather than camber...but maybe I'm wrong).

So....I'm on the hunt for a similar smoking gun before replacing tires (which will need it soon).

Last edited by nathanwind; 02-13-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanwind
I was/am having similar issues with inside edge wear. Replaced upper control arm bushings & tie-rod end u-links....though on inspection when I removed both neither really needed it.

Had an alignment done at my local independent shop, to both of our amazement things were really not out of spec (most was in spec, some was barely out of spec...and I mean barely).

Nothing else was blatantly obvious as an issue - though I've spotted that my lower arms may need inside bushings (but was thinking that would more likely affect caster rather than camber...but maybe I'm wrong).

So....I'm on the hunt for a similar smoking gun before replacing tires (which will need it soon).
Have you replaced the tires since you replaced the suspension parts? If not, is the wear really from before you did the work? The alignment does not surprise me, provided it was not previously aligned (or rather effectively misaligned) with worn parts. That is, the inner bushings bolt in a fixed location--there is no adjustment there. So if someone tries to align the car with worn components, that can effectively throw it back off when the components are returned to new. Then you have to align it again. But if it was not touched and th car doesn't otherwise get knocked up with potholes and such, alignment should return to correctly. Also, the old dealer TSB on this similarly does not call for alignment after a bushing change. The sway bar links should have no effect on alignment, but rather just potential noise and less crisp feel.

Did you look at the inner bushings by really moving them around, like sticking a screwdriver through them and torqueng/twisting them to the sides? Or on the car, checking them completely detached from the steering knuckle/hub end by undoing the pinch bolt? Putting aside the occasional horror story picture of completely torn out bushings with long term neglect, I found you really don't see visually huge issues if you either try to inspect them in place with arms still bolted in on both sides, or even if you look at them loose just sitting there. You have to flex the bushings to see if there are deep cracks or not, or if it is even partially detached in places but not yet looking torn out. See my replies ##19-22 is a thread I did with pictures. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24620404 In the car those looked like they were arguably okay, but some were not good once I tweaked them with screwdriver or moved them after undoing pinch bolt as I pulled them out. I think what happens when they get like that is under braking especially the geometry of the suspension ("alignment") changes, but only during that braking action. But that in turn is exactly the sort of thing that can grind up the tires.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-13-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: help please a8l tyre baulding bad