A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOOD LATCH STUCK

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOOD LATCH STUCK

Sorry for posting a new thread on this as I know there are a few out there as I have read them in the past.
Driver side latch is not releasing. Passenger side releases fine every time. I have spayed latch with silicone as I can lift hood some and can see where latch is. I just lubed it 2 weeks ago and now it won't release. It released about a year ago with a light pounding on the hood but not this time.
Any bright ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 12-05-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default unsticking latch

Originally Posted by Pointman911
Sorry for posting a new thread on this as I know there are a few out there as I have read them in the past.
Driver side latch is not releasing. Passenger side releases fine every time. I have spayed latch with silicone as I can lift hood some and can see where latch is. I just lubed it 2 weeks ago and now it won't release. It released about a year ago with a light pounding on the hood but not this time.
Any bright ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
unsticking latch

Try poking a stiff wood dowel or the pointy end of an older style lug wrench at the offending latch hook. When you do get it open you need to compare the side that works with the one that doesn’t. With someone pulling the release handle see if it actuated. Sometimes it can be just tweaked/bent or strike loosened and repositioned. Has the car ever been hit. Also, skip the silicone spray, not heavy enough. You should apply a white high pressure grease sparingly to latch points. Spray WD or similar into cable ends of release wires. Patience is key!
Old 12-05-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Search on prior posts for more info. When all else fails and hood is stuck closed, you remove the drivers side fender liner to get at the splitter box where the cable goes from the one under dash to the two under hood. Sounds like something is wrong with the balky latch side, its cable or maybe something in that splitter box.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Search on prior posts for more info. When all else fails and hood is stuck closed, you remove the drivers side fender liner to get at the splitter box where the cable goes from the one under dash to the two under hood. Sounds like something is wrong with the balky latch side, its cable or maybe something in that splitter box.
I have removed fender liner but can't find a way to get that splitter box apart. Could destroy it I suppose.
Can you or anyone else enlighten me to a process you/they have used from this point forward. I can see the splitter box and can sort of get a screwdriver to split it at the seam. I have no idea what to use to get way up in there to grab the cable even if I can dislodge it from the splitter box.
Could the cable actually be working but the latch not functioning? I have sprayed plenty of WD 40 on it.

Last edited by Pointman911; 12-05-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

I kept mine lubed and they always worked, plus CA car. See if Mister Bally (IIRC) or others check in who have dealt with it in past.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

At this point I am able to see and somewhat manipulate the splitter box. I would be interested in what others have done when they have gotten to this point.
i would rather not break to much.
One thought I had was to hook the latch side of the box with a wire coat hanger and pull. The other thought was to find a (long) needle nose type pliers or vise grip and try to grab cable and pull hard.
Any thoughts are appreciated!!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Search for a post by me from about four years ago that shows how I easily did it. There are pictures.

Use advanced search or search with Google typing the following:
audiworld, mister bally, broken cable

Try it for your future search requirements.

Read the entire thread as it spans a few years and I've added to it a couple years ago.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 12-06-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Search for a post by me from about four years ago that shows how I easily did it. There are pictures.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2830934
Old 12-06-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Give someone a fish, they eat for a day. Teach someone how to fish, they eat for the rest of their life.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally

Use advanced search or search with Google typing the following:
audiworld, mister bally, broken cable

Try it for your future search requirements.

Read the entire thread as it spans a few years and I've added to it a couple years ago.
Thanks very much. I despise the uselessness of the forums search capabilities. I found the thread you advised ad will pull hard on splitter box. Wish me luck. I just hope the lach is not seized.

Quick Reply: HOOD LATCH STUCK