A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood release wire snapped, hood closed

Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood release wire snapped, hood closed

Hi,

I just bought my first Audi last week and when i tried to open the hood the wire snapped (it worked when i tested the car). The fault is not inside, i opened the panels etc and the wire is OK so the fault is under the hood.

Anyone who knows if it can be fixed without using a saw...

Its a 2003 years model A8 4.2Q

Thanks for anything that can help me, i have to wait 4 weeks until they had time on Audi service and it sounded like they didnīt know how to fix it..
Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't envy you there buddy...

.. but, I just went out and had a look at my car (2005). My best advice, just from looking at it, would maybe be to try and go in by removing the front wheel well liner. As far as I can see, the two cables on my car come up (LHD) and split above the driver's side headlight then one goes to the drivers side catch, and one to the passenger side (two catches). I can't see for sure if that would give you access to where they emerge from the cabin or not. Of course it depends where it broke, but you may be able to grab an end and pull it physically to release it. I don't see an easy way of getting up behind the radiator or even behind the A/C condenser.

There's some smart guys on here who know these cars well, and they'll chip in, but that's my first thoughts...

K9

Originally Posted by Mr_Funky
Hi,

I just bought my first Audi last week and when i tried to open the hood the wire snapped (it worked when i tested the car). The fault is not inside, i opened the panels etc and the wire is OK so the fault is under the hood.

Anyone who knows if it can be fixed without using a saw...

Its a 2003 years model A8 4.2Q

Thanks for anything that can help me, i have to wait 4 weeks until they had time on Audi service and it sounded like they didnīt know how to fix it..
Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Assuming we are dealing with a D3 model in North America; Remove the driver's front tire and fender liner. Hope you have small hands, Directly above the Xenon headlight is a small balck rectangle shaped box, the size of four postage stamps. pull it out and open it up. cables are spliced in there. Pull on it with pliers. the far latch's cable is spliced just "past" that box. Maybe you can get to it and pull.

My '87 5000CSQ had a broken cable. It was easy to remove the grille and pop the latches. On this car, you would probably have to ruin the grille to get to the latches. With the lower engine cover off, there is little room to get up to the bottom of the latch assemblies. I would think the cables are over-engineered but I guess not based on your issue.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What he said....

I took some pictures of mine, let me know if you need them posted for reference.

K9

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Assuming we are dealing with a D3 model in North America; Remove the driver's front tire and fender liner. Hope you have small hands, Directly above the Xenon headlight is a small balck rectangle shaped box, the size of four postage stamps. pull it out and open it up. cables are spliced in there. Pull on it with pliers. the far latch's cable is spliced just "past" that box. Maybe you can get to it and pull.

My '87 5000CSQ had a broken cable. It was easy to remove the grille and pop the latches. On this car, you would probably have to ruin the grille to get to the latches. With the lower engine cover off, there is little room to get up to the bottom of the latch assemblies. I would think the cables are over-engineered but I guess not based on your issue.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks

Thanks for helping me out, i will begin at the front wheel and see if i can reach the box. I will let you know if i am lucky with this or not.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This may help. Good luck.

Name:  Hood.gif
Views: 28998
Size:  54.7 KB"]
The following users liked this post:
Validval7 (01-08-2023)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

photos emailed....

K9

Originally Posted by mishar
This may help. Good luck.

"]
Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Problem solved

Thanks to you all i succeded with this,it was tight but possible!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default good work!

Well done. Maybe a quick write up could assist others who have the same problem?

K9

Originally Posted by Mr_Funky
Thanks to you all i succeded with this,it was tight but possible!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad to hear that. Actually it's very good to know what to do in such situation. Of course on can always have help here, but what about poor guys who are not on this forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood release wire snapped, hood closed