A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to aim Headlamps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to aim Headlamps?

I have VAGCOM - how does one aim the headlamps? I recently upgraded my 2005 A8L front end to a 2010 S8 style and need to re-aim the new headlights as I think they are too high.

Is there a physical part to this (turning a screw) or is it all done via VAGCOM?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by biggusblockus
I have VAGCOM - how does one aim the headlamps?
For Xenons: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/car...alignment.html
Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There`s also physical way of doing it.
Two screws on top of the lamp, they will be better visible in dark, because the ligth from lamp is glowing thru them, altough there maybe some dust on them and then they are hard to see.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post a pic of your front end with the facelift if you can. Would like to see how it came out, did you get the new hood too?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I recently upgraded my 2005 A8L front end to a 2010 S8 style...
2010 S8 style? I thought they stopped offering the S8 after 2009?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mike141
Post a pic of your front end with the facelift if you can. Would like to see how it came out, did you get the new hood too?
When facelifting a 2004-05 you need to get a new hood and new headlights along with the bumper cover, grille, fogs, etc. I purchased the kit from OEMplus and it came with everything but the hood.

The situation was - I hit a small deer and it took out the hood, bumper cover and grille(s) of my 2005. Instead of going back wit the old look, I decided to make lemonade and upgrade to the new style. Insurance took care of most of it, I had to buy the new LED headlamps ($2100) and the foglamps ($500) out of my pocket, but that was about it.

I'll try to get some pictures up - it looks very good. I did the S8 bumper cover with the W12 Grille as OEM plus recommended.
These are all OEM Audi parts and the body shop did a great job putting it back together.

The new lamps appear to aimed high - so that was the point of my initial post. It appears that I need to use VAGCOM to get the lights into *adjustment mode* and then manually turn the screws to adjust the beams down, then the car will "learn" the new setting as the base. I imagine with the height adjustable suspension the headlights then adjust to whatever setting you are in as to give optimal lighting?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Agreed, plus practical experience w/ it...

I have the VAG COM and some swear that's the only way to do it, but I have found the old fashioned just move the adjustment screws is so much easier and faster. Find a clean wall at some distance at night. Could be a garage door. Look at throw pattern of both. Decide what needs attention. If unclear with both lights blending, cover each with a large towel or blanket in turn. Adjust to suit and as is reasonable--see below. Similarly for fog lights after covering headlights if desired.

Last, please park vehicle on level street. Walk well in front of it. If you get strong glare looking into headlights as you stoop down to get your eyes to waist level, you jacked them up too high. Notice too the throw pattern rises to the right (on a left hand drive car) to illuminate pedestrians, so don't do wild in the center area and end up way too high when seen from the right side for oncoming traffic or pedestrians. Similarly on the fog lights, but there you would have your head essentially down near the asphalt if you are at some distance (like more than 50 feet). No this isn't a precise machine check, but it is a combo of getting lights well positioned, yet not blinding other drivers by being too aggressive in the adjustments.

Originally Posted by newaks
There`s also physical way of doing it.
Two screws on top of the lamp, they will be better visible in dark, because the ligth from lamp is glowing thru them, altough there maybe some dust on them and then they are hard to see.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pictures

As promised - here are some pictures of the facelift of my 2005 A8L

Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=biggusblockus;24121527]When facelifting a 2004-05 you need to get a new hood and new headlights along with the bumper cover, grille, fogs, etc. I purchased the kit from OEMplus and it came with everything but the hood.

There`s a way without the new headlights:
http://www.hofele.com/en/produkte/au...mponent_2.html
But in my opinion it doesn`t look that good...
Old 03-29-2011, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=newaks;24122998]
When facelifting a 2004-05 you need to get a new hood and new headlights along with the bumper cover, grille, fogs, etc. I purchased the kit from OEMplus and it came with everything but the hood.

There`s a way without the new headlights:
http://www.hofele.com/en/produkte/au...mponent_2.html
But in my opinion it doesn`t look that good...
It is not nearly the same result as the OEM kit. I looked into it and the Hofele front bumper cover is a fiberglass cover - not like the OEM urethane. I would not put that fiberglass nose on my car.

Quick Reply: How to aim Headlamps?