A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean the engine? Safely, that is.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to clean the engine? Safely, that is.

Is there a way to clean the engine safely?
I heard steam works but can also cause issues.
Last weekend a guy next to me in the washing bay, was washing the engine of a Lamborghini.I was horrified.
He said it's fine.I would not dare.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Engine bay cleaning is a common practice. If you ever bought a used car from a dealer, the car was likely detailed and certainly the engine bay was cleaned like the lambo you saw.

Done it a few times to my car. Engine bays do get wet in raining days while on the road so getting a minimal amount of water to clean them is done all the time. Trick is to use low pressure and avoid spraying directly onto wire harness connections or sensors. Some guys cover electrical connections with tin foil to avoid mishaps, not a bad idea.

Typical approach is, on cool engine rinse with pressure washer at a good distance so not too powerful of a stream. Could use a spray nozzle on a hose as well, however pressure wash is best. Spray area with mild greaser or cleaner. I use Meguires All Purpose Cleaner diluted to about 8:1 or 10:1 as needed. Agitate areas with a soft brush to loose dirt and grease if any, then rinse, again with low pressure water. To dry use a leaf blower and towels as much as possible, Then start engine and let it idle for a good 10+ mins (hood closed) until the heat dries the remaining water to prevent spotting. Use a dressing of choice if you would like that new car look on the plastic bits and hoses. I prefer a more matte dressing.

Plenty of how too video on YouTube if your interested in doing it yourself or any quality detailer will offer this service.

Hope this helps and happy to answer any questions.

Here's what mine looked like between washes with about 90K miles.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tire shine....

here is a video detailing its use....

Old 04-25-2019, 02:50 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Consult the UToobs!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the spray he is using?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:20 PM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

It's just soapy water, AKA Dawn. Others use SuperClean, a steamer, and for rinsing, a Wagner Power Painter which works well while keeping the volume of water applied low and safe:

https://smile.amazon.com/SuperClean-...web_3134872011

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-27-2019, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Likewise, I have had no issues using the sprinkle setting (like you would with plants) on my A8 engine bay. I do make an effort to let it dry some before starting it, juuuuust in case there may be too much water around some connectors, which is probably just an unfounded fear, but you never know, wiring and connectors are 10+ years old now.