A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace front door window

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default How to replace front door window

I had my glass window broken after an attempted theft. I received my replacement window and today have fitted it. There have been many posts regarding the dual pane security window an if it is as good as advertised. Upopn inspection after removal I must say it has done a good job. The outside pane was cracked, the laminated held it together and the inner pane was undamaged. my window also had an additional laminate on the innerside of the window as it was previously tinted so not sure if that helped also.

Anyway back on track, this is a fairly easy procedure with minimal tools needed. If you have taken off the doorcard previously and know how to it should take you 10minutes, 20 minutes at the most. If you have not taken of a door card before read this post as it explains how to do that quite well...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...stall-2854869/

Only follow the above as far as removing the door card, do not disconnect the window control wiring from the harness otherwise you may have to reset the window height afterwards.
Undo the window winder motor on the left (3 torx 25 screws). Pull the motor way from the door and leave it hanging. Now if you wish to unclip the window switch connector from the motor (the biggest connector) you can do so now. Gently pull the lever clip and it will come out. You can also unclip the door handle cable by unhooking it and removing the cable from the bracket.

The rest of the procedure is below...

Remove the 2 gromets of the the inner door covering. Use both hands to slide down the window gently until you see the torx bolts visible through the holes.

Lift up the top inner rubber seal so you will be bale to slide the window up and out. (I'm sure this seal is connected at both ends but mine was already cut as I have previously had my windows tinted and it needed to be removed). If you need to cut it you will only need to cut the side nearest the lock as close to the window frame as possible. (My picture shows me holding the other end)

Undo the 2 torx bolts (t30) being careful not to drop them into the door.

Use both hands and slide the window up from the back first and remove it.

Replace with your new window in the reverse of above. the window should sit down on its own in the correct position with minimal adjustment needed but be aware do not push down or you will move the window regulator down and have to take it out again.

Hope it helps

Last edited by chokboywonda; 03-15-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Very nicely done...

Thanks for showing these pictures, they will come in handy when I have to do mine for any reasons.
Do you have the picture of where the glass rest on the motor?
Cheers,

Louis
Old 03-15-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! Nice pics. Do you have any idea of how to remove the rear windows+panels? (not the small rear one).
Old 03-17-2015, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do all D3s come with dual pane security glass?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

No, not all D3's have it, it was like a $600-$800 option. Does anyone know if a dual pane glass can replace a single pane glass without any other part changes (e.g. wider gaskets/rails, stronger window motors, etc)

Originally Posted by jlbell
Do all D3s come with dual pane security glass?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blankhopp
Thanks! Nice pics. Do you have any idea of how to remove the rear windows+panels? (not the small rear one).
I think the rear one is harder to get the window out. The door cards are exactly the same but because there is not a tapering andgle on the window I believe you have to remove the inner panel and the regulator frame (maybe even the window frame) and slide out from underneath. See below..

Unscrew Torx bolts -4-.
– Remove window regulator motor.
– Push window regulator drivers -3- down by hand.
– Unplug all electrical connectors.
– Remove mounting panel → Chapter.
– Remove window frame → Chapter.
– Pull window downwards out of guides.
– Install in reverse order of removal.

Note
t Window regulator motor can be removed or installed with motor or side window in any position.
t Unplug connectors before removing motor.
A57-0377
– Unscrew Torx bolts -2--T30- and detach motor.
Installing
– When installing, make sure threaded pins -arrows- are engaged in inner door panel.
– Fit window regulator motor -3- and secure with bolts -2-.
– Tightening torque: 3.5 Nm

Note
t After installing the electric motor and attached wiring, first turn the ignition on and then off again.
t Then raise door window as far as it will go and keep window regulator switch pulled for approx. 2 seconds.
t The window regulator is now in the basic setting and the opening/closing function is activated
Old 03-18-2015, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Thanks for showing these pictures, they will come in handy when I have to do mine for any reasons.
Do you have the picture of where the glass rest on the motor?
Cheers,

Louis
No I don't have pictures but if you look at the picture, the black brackets rest on the orange brackets that you can see through the holes of the inner door panel.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chokboywonda
I think the rear one is harder to get the window out. The door cards are exactly the same but because there is not a tapering andgle on the window I believe you have to remove the inner panel and the regulator frame (maybe even the window frame) and slide out from underneath. See below..

Unscrew Torx bolts -4-.
– Remove window regulator motor.
– Push window regulator drivers -3- down by hand.
– Unplug all electrical connectors.
– Remove mounting panel → Chapter.
– Remove window frame → Chapter.
– Pull window downwards out of guides.
– Install in reverse order of removal.

Note
t Window regulator motor can be removed or installed with motor or side window in any position.
t Unplug connectors before removing motor.
A57-0377
– Unscrew Torx bolts -2--T30- and detach motor.
Installing
– When installing, make sure threaded pins -arrows- are engaged in inner door panel.
– Fit window regulator motor -3- and secure with bolts -2-.
– Tightening torque: 3.5 Nm

Note
t After installing the electric motor and attached wiring, first turn the ignition on and then off again.
t Then raise door window as far as it will go and keep window regulator switch pulled for approx. 2 seconds.
t The window regulator is now in the basic setting and the opening/closing function is activated
Wow... Thank you SO much!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I now have to replace my rear window.....unfortunate incident that did not involve me....not only do I have to buy the dual pane glass, but then find the exact tint I had on it, have it tinted, then install it. It's the passenger rear. I'm pretty bummed. But I'll get over it. What's another $500?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear that.
It might not be $500 though. I got my window from a breaker for £60 and another £50 to tint it as mine was tinted too. Get it tinted before you install it as it's cheaper and easier for the tinter. If you get your window from a similar colour car then the tint maybe the same as after speaking to A8 parts there are not many variations in the original tint colour of similar years (that's what he said as he has taken lots of them apart)