A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's reliability been? Came across this:

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How's reliability been? Came across this:

"In the latest Consumer Reports, considered by many as the car buying public's Bible, Audi soared from 27th last year to 12th in 2007, several positions ahead of BMW (19th), Jaguar (33) and Mercedes (36, down from 32). Even the benchmark brand, Lexus slipped from its number 1 perch to 5th place."

I'd spotted this data before, but AlexTTQ reminded me of it. Complaints about design faults have been going down drastically it seems. I've noticed it in the new car forums. Thanks Alex!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a good time to purchase an Audi

A8 and other models are currently priced below competitors; continued good reliability performance should increase resale values 3-4 years from now. Cost of ownership could be very reasonable.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Increased resale values in 3-4 years? Cost of ownership "reasonable"?

I think not!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I disagree.

Perceived lack of quality has contributed to Audi's poor resale values. Now maybe it would take longer than 3-4 years for improved quality to affect these values, but I think it could happen eventually. Also, if Audi plans to increase prices to be on par with MB/BMW, vehicles purchased before the price increases will have some "instant equity" in a sense.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default slight thread hijack...did you make a decision yet?

Have you had a chance to drive the A8 swb or S6 yet? Still loving my S6...more every day.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Hopefully soon...

Still haven't driven either the S6 or A8, but my dealer will have a new A8L/Sport available to drive in the next couple of weeks (can't wait). I keep reading differing opinions about the steering feel in the A8, although in the recent C&D comparison the A8L received the best marks for steering feel (over the 750iL and the S550). If I really like the A8 I'll probably go with that, since it will be a known quantity. I'm intrigued by the air suspension, and if I get all-seasons on the 19" Sport wheels it should serve me well as an all-year vehicle (without having to switch tires in the winter). The question then would be whether to go SWB or LWB. It seems like most people are interested in the LWB, which could make resale easier (I plan to purchase). Besides,I have teenagers who ride in the back sometimes and the LWB would be nicer for them. When you drove the SWB A8, did you find the rear accomodations to be significantly better than the S6 (the dimensions are not too different according to Audi's official figures)? If I don't love the A8, I may go with the S6 but then I would either have to change tires in the winter or compromise the handling with all-seasons, neither of which would be optimal to me. Or I could wait to check out one of the upcoming XDrive sedans from BMW. By the way, thanks for your helpful feedback over the past couple of weeks!
Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The rear seat of the swb A8 is definitely a little bigger than the S6 and more

sumptuous (sp?) feeling. But I also think the A8L drives like a "smaller" car. With kids, you might really appreciate the extra room that car provides. Be advised however that the A8 doesn't have fold down rear seats though you can order a winter package that has one of those pass through sacks for skis, etc. If you have another vehicle (SUV, etc.) for transporting sports equipment and other family stuff that won't matter. Also, the trunk in the A8 is actually a little smaller than the S6.

I was looking at the swb A8 because I didn't need the extra room (kids are gone), I could save a few (thousand) bucks on the swb and I would have had to re-jigger my garage to fit the thing in it! I think you will find that the A8L sport will handle very well.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Perceived? Now "I" disagree!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Ever consider the S550 4-Matic?

Probably a bigger car than you wanted. As a longtime BMW guy, it pains me somewhat to admit that Mercedes is making some great cars now, but to me having a Mercedes makes a social statement that is not a good fit for me.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm new here, but I take it you had a bad experience!

Quick Reply: How's reliability been? Came across this: