A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to activate Satellite Radio on an European car

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to activate Satellite Radio on an European car

Hello folks,

As I wrote in the title, I want to activate the Satellite Radio on a non-US car. I don't have satellite radio installed and I don't plan to install one (and I know that the broadcast is only in US).
But I recently installed a Mobridge M2.Connect Bluetooth module with A2DP streaming. It emulates perfectly the factory phone module and it also supports music streaming which can be done either by emulating a CD-changer, or a satellite radio, as in the video below:
When I set the module to emulate a CD-changer, it works perfectly. But when I set it to emulate the Satellite radio, I don't get any sound, because I have no way to select the Satellite radio from the MMI menu (I only have AM and FM on the list, but no Satellite radio).

Is there any way to enable satellite radio without converting the whole MMI system to US?
Thanks.

PS: I know that I could just leave it on the CD-changer mode, but I prefer it as a Satellite radio and there is a reason for that (I didn't feel the need to discuss it right now but if you want, I can come back with details about this).
Old 03-17-2019, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think I figured it out, but since I don’t have any experience with Satellite radio, it would be nice to have other opinions about this.

So I think that the Mobridge module doesn’t emulate the Satellite radio module, but a satellite radio station, and in order to listen to it, I need to have the original Satellite radio module installed, at least for the car to see it and to activate the option in MMI.

Would this be correct?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by silkworm
I think I figured it out, but since I don’t have any experience with Satellite radio, it would be nice to have other opinions about this.

So I think that the Mobridge module doesn’t emulate the Satellite radio module, but a satellite radio station, and in order to listen to it, I need to have the original Satellite radio module installed, at least for the car to see it and to activate the option in MMI.

Would this be correct?
That sounds right. I had a Tune to Air unit in a 2011 Q7 to allow music streaming via Bluetooth. It received Via Bluetooth but it’s output was to the AMI cable just like an iPod. It did work pretty nicely displaying song info etc when streaming Pandora. I now stream Sirius XM in my older cars via iPhone app and cellular data. That works well too.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

So if I will retrofit the XM radio module, will I get the option in MMI without reflashing it to US software?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by silkworm
So if I will retrofit the XM radio module, will I get the option in MMI without reflashing it to US software?
What about checking box "0F"or "1F" in the installed list for starters to see if available, I would not think that the SAT would show up on the Euro SW, but you never know, I believe the "0F" (digital radio) in the Euro radio, but not sure, see what you have in your installed list.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. I already did that, with no effect. No matter what I tried, I cannot get the option in the MMI... unless, maybe, if I attempt to reflash MMI to US.
I spotted a cheap XM module on ebay... maybe I'll buy it and do some experiments.