A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to install an aux cord

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to install an aux cord

I have a 2006 audi a8l without ami. it has mmi 2g and navigation is in the trunk. I would like to at minimun install an aux cord. whether its ran from the trunk to the front or the glove box im fine with whatever. However i do not know what parts to purchase. Id hate to have to get an expensive ami unit or a dension unit.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Orlando Smith
I have a 2006 audi a8l without ami. it has mmi 2g and navigation is in the trunk. I would like to at minimun install an aux cord. whether its ran from the trunk to the front or the glove box im fine with whatever. However i do not know what parts to purchase. Id hate to have to get an expensive ami unit or a dension unit.
Unless you can find a low cost aux cord to fiber optic link that can somehow interface with the vehicles audio system, you need an AMI or Denison unit.

Or, the $20.00 RFI converter is another option.

If you figure out how to do it cheaper without the RFI deal; please share how you did it.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 07-21-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

same boat with my 2006. When i purchased it used some prior owner had run an aux cable from trunk liner under the carpet to the center armrest, but i could never find the end of the cable in the trunk.
Also, there was a switch under the steering wheel running to the fuse box where it was tapped into a fuse.
Odd, i never figured out what they were doing. Let's keep trying to solve this thing as Denison or AMI is too expensive for what you get.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does anybody know about AMI, what is the correct part number. 4E0 057 785 B and 8T0057785A. not sure if there is a difference or what. I have 2006 audi a8 with navigation and cd changer but no ami or dension or anything.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default AMI=Audi Music Interface alternative

Does anybody know about AMI, what is the correct part number. 4E0 057 785 B and 8T0057785A. not sure if there is a difference or what. I have 2006 audi a8 with navigation and cd changer but no ami or dension or anything.
I think with the technologies these days, AMI for MMI 2G is dinosaur for the price they charge. There are 3 ways you can do this less expensive than AMI. So before you spend over $200 for anything, check your options.

1. Mr. Bally RFI, to ensure less signal transmission loss due to wireless FM modulator, buy a wired FM modulator like this one. You need some mods for the antenna - Fakra (male and female) I think. Haven't looked at the actually Radio antenna yet, but I believe it's in the trunk. Buy a $5 bluetooth dongle - 3.5mm auxiliary to RCA males, hook it up and you're streaming through your radio.
iSimple IS31 Antenna Bypass FM Modulator for Factory or Aftermarket Car Radios | eBay

2. Buy an MOST optical audio interface, then you have digital sound. Same set up with Bluetooth dongle.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Long...f2804b2a&tpp=1

3. Retrofit the head unit with FBAS and CAN BUS Module to install Analog TV tuner, the multimedia options are endless like what I have in my car. This one is a little more work, but if you're going to keep the car for a long time, it's worth it. If you have 2007+ then it's easy since the FBAS is already there.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...19146&_sacat=0
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24991071

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-24-2017, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

AS far as I am concerned, the easy solution is to install an AMI. Not only will it do line-in, it has USB capabilities. You can use a USB hard drive, USB thumb drives, or even your cell phone to play music files. MP4/AAC files can be played on the AMI. Sure you can play MP3 but the MP3 format sucks rocks.

Installing a TV tuner is NOT easy. To do the install so that it doesn't look like Car Toys did the install requires expertise, tools, and parts the average car owner does not have. And in the end all you have is line-in. Watching video while driving is illegal for obvious reasons.

FM modulator? Most of them suck. Why? The FM preemphasis is wrong or missing. This is needed so that the frequency response is flat and reasonable. In addition the audio bandwidth and dynamic range are also limited. But if you think FM radio sounds great, then do it. I gave up on FM for music years ago.

Go AMI. You won't regret it.

Last edited by richard-tx; 07-24-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think with the technologies these days, AMI for MMI 2G is dinosaur for the price they charge. There are 3 ways you can do this less expensive than AMI. So before you spend over $200 for anything, check your options.

1. Mr. Bally RFI, to ensure less signal transmission loss due to wireless FM modulator, buy a wired FM modulator like this one. You need some mods for the antenna - Fakra (male and female) I think. Haven't looked at the actually Radio antenna yet, but I believe it's in the trunk. Buy a $5 bluetooth dongle - 3.5mm auxiliary to RCA males, hook it up and you're streaming through your radio.
iSimple IS31 Antenna Bypass FM Modulator for Factory or Aftermarket Car Radios | eBay

2. Buy an MOST optical audio interface, then you have digital sound. Same set up with Bluetooth dongle.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Long...f2804b2a&tpp=1

3. Retrofit the head unit with FBAS and CAN BUS Module to install Analog TV tuner, the multimedia options are endless like what I have in my car. This one is a little more work, but if you're going to keep the car for a long time, it's worth it. If you have 2007+ then it's easy since the FBAS is already there.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...19146&_sacat=0
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-.../#post24991071

i appreciate the feedback. i like the iSimple IS31 option it seems easy enough. where does it install to exactly. If i go with "MOST" interface how does that work. it seems to hook in the back of the cd player correct. I am fine without video playback however i am curious. what video format will it read. I think im going with the iSimple if i can find where it install to. i dont mind aux connection over bluetooth. however if im spending BIG bucks converting i want video playback. in reply to Richard-tx I have had video playback in just about every car i owned except this one. Illegal or not, who cares. i wouldn't ask if i was worried about law enforcement. I currently have a fm transmitter it sucks donkey-*****. I suppose the iSimple actually overtakes all signal. Will i still have SiriusXM?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Richard-tx has said, go AMI, you won't regret it...I can tell you that I put it in my 07 along with the Bluetooth adaptor and the sound quality from my iphone is great. It connects easy, just remove the cd changer and plug it in or, if you want, you can get a harness to keep both the cd changer and the AMI. In my other vehicle I installed an iSimple device. That too has excellent sound quality via Bluetooth, and it even will include the artist/song info on the screen from both streaming audio and mp3 files (not sure if the one for the Audi does this or not). Although the iSimple required some drilling to mount microphone, usb plug, and switch whereas the AMI was just plug and play.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mike141 i am looking at both factors. The isimple is a less than $30. the ami units ive ran across cost upwards of 600 bucks. Tell me why its justifiable. even if i can find an ami for the ~200 range is the price still worth it. Why? The isimple is an easy install correct? and where would i even install it on an audi a8 d3
Old 07-25-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you reallly think the $30 solution is going to be just as good as the $300+ one? If you do, I have a bridge you might be interested in.

Here is one for $340. 2006 2007 AUDI A8 D3 - AMI / MUSIC INTERFACE MODULE | eBay

Quick Reply: I want to install an aux cord