A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle RPM's with and without A/C running (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle RPM's with and without A/C running (kinda long)

I recently purchased a 2005 A8L and am trying to figure out if I have an unusually low idle when the A/C is not running.

After the engine gets up to normal operating temperature, when I come to a complete stop with the transmission in "D", the idle will come to a rest at approximately 780 rpm, but if I am stopped and pressing the brake for more than a few seconds, the idle will drop to just under 600 rpms, and I begin to feel a slight vibration in the car due to the low idle speed.

I recently noticed that when this is happening, if I put the car in Neutral, and remove my foot from the brake, and then press the throttle to increase the rpm's the idle will setlle back to around 780 - and the car will idle smoothly

I don't know if this is related to the braking system, or if is an engine issue. Either way, it's annoying.

I brought this issue up to my dealer, and of course they told me that it is operating "normally".

Since I don't have another A8 to compare, would anyone please provide the average idle rpm's of their car without the A/C running, and at normal operating temperature?

Am I crazy, or is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and sorry for the long post.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Idle RPM's with and without A/C running (kinda long)

I had the same problem and it was the coil. After the coil was replaced the car idlled normally when in "D" and at a stop. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Idle RPM's with and without A/C running (kinda long)

I had a similar problem with my D2. It turned out to be deposits stopping minor movement of the throtle body butterfly valve when almost shut (at idle in other words). Once cleaned the idle was perfect again. So the valve was not quite positioning as the ECU wanted it to be. Sometimes it felt like it was going to stall. Sounds a bit more serious than your symptoms though.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by veruka
I recently purchased a 2005 A8L and am trying to figure out if I have an unusually low idle when the A/C is not running.

After the engine gets up to normal operating temperature, when I come to a complete stop with the transmission in "D", the idle will come to a rest at approximately 780 rpm, but if I am stopped and pressing the brake for more than a few seconds, the idle will drop to just under 600 rpms, and I begin to feel a slight vibration in the car due to the low idle speed.

I recently noticed that when this is happening, if I put the car in Neutral, and remove my foot from the brake, and then press the throttle to increase the rpm's the idle will setlle back to around 780 - and the car will idle smoothly

I don't know if this is related to the braking system, or if is an engine issue. Either way, it's annoying.

I brought this issue up to my dealer, and of course they told me that it is operating "normally".

Since I don't have another A8 to compare, would anyone please provide the average idle rpm's of their car without the A/C running, and at normal operating temperature?

Am I crazy, or is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and sorry for the long post.

in N mode

in D mode
I have a 2009 S8 and when im on N mode i feel the engine running faster than it should be but rpm is about 610 (see pic 1)
When D mode rpm drops to 580 and engine sounds normal.
was not like this before.
Any suggestion what it could be?
Old 04-22-2023, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi i have the same issues but some times car dropping idle to zero and just turn off, did you find the solution ?
Old 04-22-2023, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Any codes? Did you replace the throttle bodies pig tail yet?