A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm driving a 2014 D4L 4.0T as a loaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Again, not mine at least...

the W12 six speed I have is not obviously different than the 8 speed in the 2013 Q5 Hybrid, which doesn't even have a conventional torque converter to mask it. Of course with 8 gears, it is shifting through more of them all the time. In the 2011 4.2 loaner, the actual shift speed was also pretty similar as I recall, but the 8 speed was somewhat rougher in the transition from gear to gear; sort of vague shift kit like, which maybe is what you are noticing? That was pre- service action/TSB on the 8 speeds IIRC where they re did the programming to try to smooth things out some.

In general, I like the incremental economy and performance of the 8 speed, but have actually found the 6 speed in general to be the smoother box, including in a variety of other 3.0T, 2.0T and TDI loaners with a few thousand miles on the clock generally. Might be related to the 428 foot pounds and zero boost lag though too...

Later edit: FWIW, I'm talking about the specific point/time at which it shifts from gear to gear, not the total shift cycle. On many newer vehicles w/ electronic throttles, the ECU and TCU are coordinating right around the shift point. Common strategies to soften the shift point feel are to unlock the lock up on the converter if relevant (the 6 speed is pretty unique in that the lock up can engage in lower gears too at light throttle, not just the top one), retard the ignition timing, alter the valve timing, feather back the throttle momentarily, etc. That stuff combined may give the sense of a more fluid shift (or hardly even a shift at all like on a Lexus LS), or if tuned aggressively (like in a sport type mode) or not tuned for some subtleties more of a rapid shift/shift kit feel with some kick to it. But the shift itself may only be a portion of that total cycle. The 8 speed had some kinks in this transition stuff apparently that caused them to alter the programming, and Chrysler/Jeep recently suffered a PR setback and long ship delay on Jeeps with the new ZF nine speed where they decided the final production programming wasn't so good after all--several months of delay with vehicles already built and parked.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-23-2014 at 06:51 PM.