A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's my turn... left and rear left vents hot, right side cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks Dave for your confirmation. This morning we went to the golfing range, the outside temp was 65F, my wife left her side @ 67F and my side still 63F, she noticed her right vents were warm and my side were cold. She said the ac was broken again, I checked the back, sure enough the right side now warm and the left side was cold. Darn, it's broken?
When we left, the outside temp went up to 71F and both sides were cold, so it works.
My question is if the outside temp is in between the two, which temp the car will use to set the cabin temp?
I can understand the system is working perfectly now since this morning her side was higher, hence the warm air, but when will it stop since it was a short drive?
I was going to open the valve pump to inspect and clean, but I don't think I need to, the system seems to work nicely, don't you think?
Since the air works, the 2015 car is put on hold since the book value is only $5k and offers from trade in only $2500-$3k. Yes, the car is still very nice. It's 124500 miles now, I told her if we keep the car, we need to do timing belt... hmm, let it be, if it breaks, donate the car, save money for the new one. Well, at least my car will be a guinea pig for timing belt.
I want to experiment with Apple CarPlay for this car. I'm researching. I like the CarPlay in my new eGolf.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 04-21-2018, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's 82F today and the AC performs so nicely. Set the Temp to 70F and the all vents blow ice cold air, just loving it. Thanks all.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 04-22-2018, 05:29 AM
DEWSOETZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Thanks Dave for your confirmation. This morning we went to the golfing range, the outside temp was 65F, my wife left her side @ 67F and my side still 63F, she noticed her right vents were warm and my side were cold. She said the ac was broken again, I checked the back, sure enough the right side now warm and the left side was cold. Darn, it's broken?
When we left, the outside temp went up to 71F and both sides were cold, so it works.
My question is if the outside temp is in between the two, which temp the car will use to set the cabin temp?
I can understand the system is working perfectly now since this morning her side was higher, hence the warm air, but when will it stop since it was a short drive?
I was going to open the valve pump to inspect and clean, but I don't think I need to, the system seems to work nicely, don't you think?
Since the air works, the 2015 car is put on hold since the book value is only $5k and offers from trade in only $2500-$3k. Yes, the car is still very nice. It's 124500 miles now, I told her if we keep the car, we need to do timing belt... hmm, let it be, if it breaks, donate the car, save money for the new one. Well, at least my car will be a guinea pig for timing belt.
I want to experiment with Apple CarPlay for this car. I'm researching. I like the CarPlay in my new eGolf.
Cheers,
Louis
lol about the car being a guinea pig..... i own a 2008 A8l with 213k miles on it and still counting. The car is a gem.......... Happy your a/c is normal now.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dewsoetz
lol about the car being a guinea pig..... i own a 2008 A8l with 213k miles on it and still counting. The car is a gem.......... Happy your a/c is normal now.
Dewsoetz,
I was talking about timing belt, your car has timing chains, great car.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 04-22-2018, 09:32 AM
DEWSOETZ

Dewsoetz,
I was talking about timing belt, your car has timing chains, great car.
Cheers,
Louis
Yeah.... chains. There's this grinding sound i hear any time i accelerate hard when driving. It sounds briefly and the sound goes away....... It sounds like the ignition is grinding...... i don't know if its normal for the engine to sound like that.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

It's 82F today and the AC performs so nicely. Set the Temp to 70F and the all vents blow ice cold air, just loving it. Thanks all.
Cheers,
Louis
Glad it’s proving to be fixed. The HVAC system uses various algorithms to work out what temp it needs to deliver to the vents to comfortably get the cabin to the set temp as quickly as possible. ie without blasting freezing cold or super hot air right in your face. It works out how best to do this based on a whole load of variables such as present cabin temp, ambient temp, hvac intake temp, windshield temp, humidity, heater core outlet temp, engine coolant temp, and sunlight intensity. Lots of clever stuff going on in that hvac ECU.

Regards Apple CarPlay; from my investigations for the D3, I’ve boiled it down to a unit that can plug into an AV input, or one that interrupts the LVDS signal between the MMI control head and the screen. Good audio and/or control integration seems to be where it all falls over though as there is literally nothing out there which is MOST bus compatible so I’ve not taken it any further. Intrigued to see what you come up with.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll have CarPlay on my car very soon using my current TV tuner, raspberry pi and my iPhone 6s. Cheers,
Louis
Old 04-22-2018, 10:52 PM
Back axle behind the ears

I'll have CarPlay on my car very soon using my current TV tuner, raspberry pi and my iPhone 6s. Cheers,
Louis
Like the sound of that....
Old 04-23-2018, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tape on pins

Originally Posted by Dewsoetz
Yes, thats it. clean the pins properly, remove any grease residue you notice and apply fresh lubricant or grease.
What is the purpose of taping the pins to the base? Is that to override the electronics and force the valves to stay open all the time or just temporary for cleaning purposes?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:52 AM
DEWSOETZ

Originally Posted by SS_RTR
What is the purpose of taping the pins to the base? Is that to override the electronics and force the valves to stay open all the time or just temporary for cleaning purposes?
Honestly i have no idea, i never taped mine. I just opened it up and cleaned the sticky grease of the pins.......... and it worked right since then......

Quick Reply: It's my turn... left and rear left vents hot, right side cold