A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnny's Facelift Taillights Confusion, Euro vs. US

Old 11-20-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Johnny's Facelift Taillights Confusion, Euro vs. US

Hello All,
Well I had another taillight turn into an aquarium, for the third time, and a lens popped off again.
So I decided to get the facelift taillights that I was going to do years ago but didn't, so while my baby needed some attention I decided to order her some new items, 1) Facelift Taillights 2) Facelift Fog lights & Grills to match 3) Exhaust 4) MMI gears 5) oh the list is to long, let me stick to the title of this thread, I have read the many different comments from many such as DVS Dave, MP, Awdinut, etc. comment such as the euro taillights do not have the inner trunk lid portion used as the brake light, or that wires had to be ran from outer taillight to inner, or wires needed to be cut to get rid of bulb out warning, and that Euro spec uses a different pattern, so here is my main confusion, I am to understand that if I had purchased the facelift taillights in USA spec that the clear section on both the outer and inner with the exception of the very small section of the inner for the reverse light would do nothing, as I have read that the US FL TL uses red trapezoid for turn signal, something does not sound right that all that clear on the inner and outer would be useless.
I can say that without any extra wiring the Euro spec FL TL's I purchased do have the amber turn signal in the outer lights, but the inners also have the brake light function, unless the rear fogs are on, then it will only have the outer brake lights, so a question, will the extra wire make the unlit portion of the inner clear section illuminate amber, I believe I read someone stated that they cut one open to find no LED's.

Thanks for any input, see pictures.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Love the hood prop, Gio! I like the updated lights better but I just can't justify the expense on the 150k mile 2005. If I ever start to have issues where I need to replace one, I'll consider it then. I really like the euro setup with the amber lights, how much did those run you?
Old 11-20-2018, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Love the hood prop, Gio! I like the updated lights better but I just can't justify the expense on the 150k mile 2005. If I ever start to have issues where I need to replace one, I'll consider it then. I really like the euro setup with the amber lights, how much did those run you?
Hello Jack,
Check, must get hood struts....
The seller wanted $1725.00, she accepted my last offer of $1500.00, but then stock became an issue so there was another 10 days or so, so she refunded the shipping, then when the lights arrived only 1 had the "Audi" logo on the box and the light itself, the other three boxes showed ULO, and as these were direct from an Audi dealer in Germany there was some confusion as to how could a Audi dealership sell parts as "Audi Parts" that did not have the correct Audi logos or labeling, the Audi dealer stated that they have had a problem with stocking the Audi lights, therefore they buy the unbranded lights from the OEM supplier ULO, and yes at a reduced price for unbranded, so the seller refunded me an additional $300.00, so they cost me $1200 and free shipping.

I do have one issue though, and please tell me if you see it in the pics, when just all 4 parking lights are on, do you see anything out of order ?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The passenger side outer looks brighter than the rest, but that's all I can see.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

My Euro face lift lights function in the same way as yours....amber turn signal illuminates in clear portion of fender mounted section of tail light. The face lift lights really help to update the car , and I think the Euro spec lights are even more effective because of the amber turn signal. My inner clear portion has only back-up; same as yours.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not aligned right?
Old 11-21-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2004A8L
Not aligned right?
Hello 2004A8L,
No, they are aligned correctly, it is as Jack saw, the outer right side tail light is brighter by a bit, and or it is the fact that the light is bleeding throughout the lens, whereas the other 3 keep the light contained to the section illuminated.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The passenger side outer looks brighter than the rest, but that's all I can see.
That's what I see in person, not just in the photos, I have asked two other people to tell me what they see in person, they saw nothing, and when I said what I see, they said I was seeing things...
Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
That's what I see in person, not just in the photos, I have asked two other people to tell me what they see in person, they saw nothing, and when I said what I see, they said I was seeing things...
No, you aren't crazy. Is that one the same brightness when hitting the brake?
Old 11-21-2018, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, you aren't crazy. Is that one the same brightness when hitting the brake?
If you mean does it remain the same when I apply brakes, and the other 3 become bright to match, then no, that's what I thought at first, like the brake section was stuck on in that section.
I will right the seller to see about replacement, what is odd is that another seller had all 4 new lights listed, now 3, but in his listing he stated that one of the lenses had "factory defect only seen when lit up", so of course I did not buy them, could ULO be having an issue...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Johnny's Facelift Taillights Confusion, Euro vs. US