A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key program problem

Old 05-12-2019, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default key program problem

I bought an a8 "2007 4.2" from auction a couple days ago with no keys. I ordered one from the dealer and towed it in to program. they couldn't get their software to communicate with the car to program the key and just told me i would have to leave it and they could run diagnostics next week when they were free. i wasn't a fan of that as i work on all of my own cars so i towed it back home. according to a couple of threads i have read im leaning tword the kessy but i havent removed or checked it yet. i ordered ross-tech and carprog to try to diagnosis this my self. i made sure the battery was fully charged "fyi". some threads i read say you can program with ross-tech some say you cant. but if i can read the code off the kessy i dont see why i wouldnt be able to. long story short i was wondering if there are another things i should check while i am doing this. thanks for the help in advance.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Please keep us posted on how you get it working.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 05-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by btalbert82
I bought an a8 "2007 4.2" from auction a couple days ago with no keys. I ordered one from the dealer and towed it in to program. they couldn't get their software to communicate with the car to program the key and just told me i would have to leave it and they could run diagnostics next week when they were free. i wasn't a fan of that as i work on all of my own cars so i towed it back home. according to a couple of threads i have read im leaning tword the kessy but i havent removed or checked it yet. i ordered ross-tech and carprog to try to diagnosis this my self. i made sure the battery was fully charged "fyi". some threads i read say you can program with ross-tech some say you cant. but if i can read the code off the kessy i dont see why i wouldnt be able to. long story short i was wondering if there are another things i should check while i am doing this. thanks for the help in advance.

can't read code without a working key, and rosstech can't program a kessy, if the kessy is damaged you will know easily, put the unprogrammed key in the ignition switch and try to turn on ignition, if won't work of course but you will need to turn the key to the left 2 times to release it, if it release the key, kessy is ok, if not it damaged and will eventually release the key.. as for programming depending on the year you local lock smith can do it but most likely you will need someone with the dealer tool... or you can send the kessy and key to someone to match or if you have software and tools can do it remotely....
Old 06-14-2019, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok so i was able to get the pin code out the the kessy and was able to get my computer to communicate with the car. vagcom did accept my pin code so the number is good. i plan on trying to go through the complete process of trying to program the key this weekend. it started raining on me yesterday and i was cut short on time. the steps on rosstech page dont seem to match the software i have. but im ginving it a shot.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

New Key can only be programmed via Audi Server...full stop
Old 06-17-2019, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use select independent shops to program the fob. Couple hundred cheaper than my dealer quote, and that's for an OEM fob
Old 06-18-2019, 12:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

that's if they have access to audi server
Old 06-18-2019, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Indeed. My real point is that there seems to be a myth of "dealer only" when it comes to our fobs.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:57 AM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by storka
New Key can only be programmed via Audi Server...full stop
Not for A8 D3, if you know the pin you can use any key programmer but the trick is the key must be precoded for the car with the immo ID, else it will program for 2 seconds then drop it....

I have programmed aftermarket keys for A8 already, works like charm, but I have equipment to precode keys....

if you buy the key from dealership with vin then its precoded then almost any key programmer can work once you know the pin...

just enter pin. put key in ignition, DON'T TURN IT, wait like 3-5 seconds the steering should unlock, wait another 3 seconds, switch off then on DONT START ENGINE wait 5 seconds then SAFE should disappear from the cluster..

if SAFE is still there or engine stalls after start, you made a mistake

not sure about rosstech but I have high cost equipment and also original dealership tool..
Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is the dealer precoding included with the new fob?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: key program problem