A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

at last, RARE option completes my Audi 'Picnic Pkg'

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default at last, RARE option completes my Audi 'Picnic Pkg'

Well, imagine that I'm parked in a scenic spot somewhere and my girl and I are sitting in the back of my W12, ensconced in the Alcantara cocoon, listening to music and enjoying a nice lunch of salmon and cheese or whatever....then the MMI times-out and turns off the music. So then I have to climb out of the back, go round to the front seat, and push the button to turn the MMI back on for another cycle; embarrassing and a PITA.

But Audi had a solution to that problem, however it was not available here in the US and only fitted to a small percentage of Euro spec A8s. Quattro GmbH modified some MMI control panel circuit boards in order to enable remote operation of the MMI from the back seat and the option was fitted for some of their Audi Exclusive customers, mostly in W12s. It came with a remote device that replicates the face of the MMI panel which stows in the rear arm rest. Besides the MMI on/off/volume ability, it can switch between stations//bands or run the AMI or CD changer, telephone, NAV, etc.

I have kept my eye on eBay UK and eBay Germany for years watching for a used remote device and modified MMI with no luck; until now ! I received the parts several weeks ago but could not get the remote capability to function so I inquired to Quattro GmbH in Germany. They researched their archives and just got back to me with the Green Screen procedure to sync and enable the modifications. Now I can live like a civilized person and control my MMI from the back seat !! I love it when a plan comes together. ; > )

Last edited by awdinut; 05-07-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:44 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like them Audi tumblers...
Old 05-07-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It's the little things.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 AM
Necromancer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Is There AUDI Branded Salmon and Brie?

Originally Posted by awdinut

Well, imagine that I'm parked in a scenic spot somewhere and my girl and I are sitting in the back of my W12, ensconced in the Alcantara cocoon, listening to music and enjoying a nice lunch of salmon and cheese or whatever....then the MMI times-out and turns off the music. So then I have to climb out of the back, go round to the front seat, and push the button to turn the MMI back on for another cycle; embarrassing and a PITA.

But Audi had a solution to that problem, however it was not available here in the US and only fitted to a small percentage of Euro spec A8s. Quattro GmbH modified some MMI control panel circuit boards in order to enable remote operation of the MMI from the back seat and the option was fitted for some of their Audi Exclusive customers, mostly in W12s, and came with a remote device that replicates the face of the MMI panel and stows in the rear arm rest. Besides the MMI on/off/volume ability it can switch between stations//bands or run the AMI or CD changer, telephone, NAV, etc.

I have kept my eye on eBay UK and eBay Germany for years watching for a used remote device and modified MMI with no luck; until now ! I received the parts several weeks ago but could not get the remote capability to function so I inquired to Quattro GmbH in Germany. They researched their archives and just got back to me with the Green Screen procedure to sync and enable the modifications. Now I can live like a civilized person and control my MMI from the back seat !! I love it when a plan comes together. ; > )
Bet they'd taste like Vorsprung.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the most exclusive, VIP setup I have ever seen. Hats off to you sir.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well...

Originally Posted by ScottCNelson
Bet they'd taste like Vorsprung.
if there is I'm sure I couldnt afford to buy it !
Old 05-07-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not a particularly useful size...

Originally Posted by mixja23
Like them Audi tumblers...
but they come fitted in the fridge as part of the option, so they are close at hand and I use them. Except for champagne of course.

Last edited by awdinut; 05-07-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Very classy indeed

Cheers,
Louis
Old 05-07-2018, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice!

Could you get one of those tables in a 4.2 A8L? Did you have to order both or could you have just one?
Old 05-07-2018, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes...

Originally Posted by Dino1147
Very nice!

Could you get one of those tables in a 4.2 A8L? Did you have to order both or could you have just one?
of course Audi never offered the tray option in our (US) market, but in Europe 4.2 Audi Exclusive LWB A8s could be ordered with a table. I had my tables in my 4.2 for 6 years before transferring them to my W12 a year ago. In Europe an Exclusive car can be ordered any way you desire, so two tables could have been fitted, but I have only seen a photo of one A8 so equipped out of many Euro A8s I have seen on a website in Germany that sells Exclusive A8s. They were 2300 Euro option each back in the day, but in comparison to the cost of an A8 I doubt cost was the reason that two were not ordered. Rather, I think the reason is because the Germans did not fit them in their car to have frivolous picnics like I do; nein !, nein !, nein ! In Germany many executives are driven to work in their A8 and the table was for a laptop computer, so there was no need for a second table.

But, you may have noticed that my tables are not the same...one has hinges and one does not. The hinged table was the Type 1 and was the early design. However, the exec A8 owners complained that their table was not quite large enough for their laptop because the hinges got in the way, so the Type 1 was superseded by the Type 2 which has a larger table surface and deploys via gears instead of having hinges to get in the way. And back in the (lower tech) day Quattro GmbH also offered a Fax option that went in the rear center console of 4 seat models (which included 4.2 models in Europe) for document transfer en route. The Halogen reading lights option that I have also added were part of that work station functionality from Quattro. These trays almost never show-up on German ebay, so I bought the only two I have seen and had to take what I could find; maybe someday a match to one or the other will show.

Last edited by awdinut; 05-07-2018 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: at last, RARE option completes my Audi 'Picnic Pkg'