A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaky valve seals??? and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Have you looked at engine pressurizing scenarios BTW? Start with the basic take the oil filler cap off while running and see if either highly pressurized or it affects idle. If so, start searching on prior S8 posts or other V10 owners' experiences. Each motor seems a bit different in what kind of pressurization is found, with common connection being something in the PCV/oil separator function.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got it running again!! i replaced all of the injectors. probably a bit excessive, but to have them serviced was nearly as much as buying them new. and there were probs with all of my injector service people. it was going to take at least a month for injector cleaning.

i doubt ive stopped any of the leaks, but need to put some miles on it first.

pulled the oil filler cap off while it's running, it has a healthy amount of suction. so no over pressurization in the oil cavities.

also went down some steep hills in 1st and 2nd gear keeping high revs. no smoke that i could see. no pops, no bangs, no drama, no misfires. i just looked silly with my engine all revved up. oof

after getting everything cleaned up and reading a bit more, i think that it's worth looking into the oil cooler more. it seems like the most significant leak come from the front right of the engine, right where the oil cooler is buried. i've found plenty of info on the v8 oil coolers, but haven't found anything on the v10 oil coolers. i'm assuming there are o-rings?? maybe a gasket?? prolly some crummy plastic piping?? i think i can tackle it blind, but seeing the process ahead of time helps to pull in parts.

some of the injectors were destroyed while i was removing them. i had a known issue with injector 9, but i wonder if some of the injectors were leaking a bit?? and maybe my uglier valves were an indication of pre-ignition and a rich condition?? i hate trying to make my problems neatly fit into the solutions i've provided, but it seems like it could be possible.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

doing some searching, i've found that the oil cooler has 2 o-rings on the block side that are 24mm x 2.5mm. i'm not sure if there's anything else going on back there, but should just be an oil supply and return. hopefully they're just standard o-rings???

i do have a bit of oil collecting on the oil pipe just underneat the front of the engine. but i'm thinking about just tackling the oil cooler first.

found this drawing that helped - https://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/sh...roduct=5432570
Old 05-19-2019, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

i replaced the cooked o-rings in the oil cooler. that cleaned up the majority of the oil leaks i've been dealing with.

but there's still oil coming from the main seal. the oil additives do nothing.

so i need to pull the engine. it looks like the engine could come out the front when the front end, bumper support, and core support are removed. is it really necessary to drop the engine and tranny out the bottom?? or is there some magical way of replacing the rear main seal without pulling the engine??
The following users liked this post:
seattlematt (09-15-2020)