A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED License Plate Bulbs DYI

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ModestW12
I'd imagine you can find them at a home improvement or hardware store.

Google removing a broken screw.
Going for it this weekend. However, I think that the Hardest Part of the Repair is the Angle and Tight Space you have to work with. Anything larger than a Screw Driver doesn't give you a straight access point. You've gotta love Audi for making the simple very complexed. Thanks

Originally Posted by Pete@ECSTuning
The only real problem I see with LED license plate bulbs would be that they amplify the appearance of any dirt around the license plate. Not the case with halogen!
I'm using a Light Smoked Shield, so that's not the Case for me, but I am using your Bulb. So, you may have a good point, or not. However, even before using your bulb, the shield kept water and dirt off the Plate. Laters,

williebone

Last edited by williebone; 10-14-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck not stripping your screws. These housings are one of the worst designed ones I have ever seen on any car. I ended up stripping them both, and using a reverse drill bit did nothing at all but crater a hole in it. I might have to dremel a slit in it to create a hole for the flathead screwdriver. Either way I have to somehow break the housing, or I'll just leave it and make the audi dealer do it for me.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ordered the ziza lights off of ecstuning. excited! one of the two bulbs went out so i thought why not?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by chazertis
just ordered the ziza lights off of ecstuning. excited! one of the two bulbs went out so i thought why not?
I dig your style!!
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would totally buy them too if it weren't for the crap designed plastic housings that both screws are stripped inside now!!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

just a random question. like i said, one of the two bulbs went out. should i have gotten a bulb out sign? because i didn't...
Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chazertis
like i said, one of the two bulbs went out. should i have gotten a bulb out sign? because i didn't...
good question, I'd like to know too. otherwise, what's the point of the error codes with the unmodified LEDs?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Only In VCDS!

good question, I'd like to know too. otherwise, what's the point of the error codes with the unmodified LEDs?
It doesn't give you a Bulb Out on the Dash, but does show it in Vag-Com. I guess Audi didn't feel it was important since it's not a Driving Hazard. Maybe they'll Pay For The Ticket when the Cops Pull you over, but of course Both Bulbs would have to be out before that happens. Just maybe you get the Warning when Both are Out! Laters,

Last edited by williebone; 11-18-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

When one of my rear license plate bulbs burnt out a year ago, I did not get any dashboard indication. I replace it with an incandescent bulb from my stash. No LED's for me unless ones for slot machine deck buttons fit!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by williebone
Going for it this weekend. However, I think that the Hardest Part of the Repair is the Angle and Tight Space you have to work with. Anything larger than a Screw Driver doesn't give you a straight access point. You've gotta love Audi for making the simple very complexed. Thanks

I'm using a Light Smoked Shield, so that's not the Case for me, but I am using your Bulb. So, you may have a good point, or not. However, even before using your bulb, the shield kept water and dirt off the Plate. Laters,

williebone
The only thing to use on small screws where access is limited is jeweler type screw drivers. That is what the dealer mechanics use and so do I. No stripped screws here.

Quick Reply: LED License Plate Bulbs DYI