A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Reverse Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Reverse Bulbs

There's been some discussion on this, but nothing definitive. I have an '06 (pre-LED rear light setup) and would like to use LED bulbs for a bit more light when backing up... does anyone here have 1st person experience in using these bulbs? Some vendors are claiming "error free plug 'n play", but I have little interest in pulling the trunk liner just to get an error code for the reverse lights. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2016, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As far as I remember reversing light bulbs are quite special 20W halogens. I am not sure that suitable LED replacement is available. Instead, a good reversing camera and no window dimming makes a whole lot of difference.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have led reverse bulbs but the installation was not a piece of cake, the factory blubs are hard installed meaning there not actually removable bulbs its the whole bulb and holder, but I replaced the whole thing with 78 SMD 3157 LED Bulbs its double contact I use one contact for reverse and the next I connected it to the rear fog lights, I can tell you the reverse light is way brighter, see attached pics, it was a cellphone so they not that clear lol, also I don't have any dash errors.... Again the installation is not for the fainted heart, you will need to do some soldering... I didn't document the process because I didnt think anyone would care....

Old 12-05-2016, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am toying with the idea of taking the license plate area, cut it out, hinge it, motorize it and put some xenon lamps in. That should light things up when backing up.

Overkill is underrated.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Engineer

Originally Posted by richard-tx
I am toying with the idea of taking the license plate area, cut it out, hinge it, motorize it and put some xenon lamps in. That should light things up when backing up.

Overkill is underrated.
lol I did it for style and I notice now when its raining heavy I put on rear fogs on highway intermittent it alerts the driver behind me so it wasn't a bad idea
Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hola Shamoye... thanks for the tip, looks like what I'm looking for. BTW... cool personalized plate. Cheers
Old 12-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Engineer

Originally Posted by Audiheavy
Hola Shamoye... thanks for the tip, looks like what I'm looking for. BTW... cool personalized plate. Cheers
thanks everyone likes my vanity plate...

I used these bulbs
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you will NEED to do some cutting of the plastic where the leads are

the 4 leads dont cut them 2 is ground 2 is positive, solder on wires and hear shrink, even it you bridge both positive the bulb is the same brightness, so what I did was bridge the grounds, and put one positive to reverse and next to rear fogs postive (you dont have to do that part.... remove the reverse bulbs they screw out...

the above bulb fits exactly in the front side on the lamp holder, theres nothing to brace or hold it but if you close the lamp back the back place will press against the back of the bulb holding it in place.... its not really hard....
Old 12-08-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

The bulbs are PH16W. As Mishar said, they're an odd bulb with the housing included.

I just bought these from eBay. They arrived today and the bulbs themselves seem the right size and shape but they include a plug-in resistor which isn't pictured in the listing. I'll have to work out some way to install them without the resistors rattling around in my new tail lights.

I've not fitted them yet, but it would be great if they worked.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:38 PM
Engineer

Originally Posted by Turbo Tony
The bulbs are PH16W. As Mishar said, they're an odd bulb with the housing included.

I just bought these from eBay. They arrived today and the bulbs themselves seem the right size and shape but they include a plug-in resistor which isn't pictured in the listing. I'll have to work out some way to install them without the resistors rattling around in my new tail lights.

I've not fitted them yet, but it would be great if they worked.
nice,

don't put the resistors in the light housing, load resistors gets HOT, will put a hole in your housing, and will cause you some serious grief, you can how ever put them on the harness that connects to the light thats in the trunk lid housing... better before the plug on the trunk side that way you can always remove light without removing resistor, keep in mind with load resistor if the light does go out you will have no idea because the load resistor will fool the auto light test systems....
Old 12-10-2016, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is it possible to turn off the reverse light monitoring using VCDS? The resistors are on flyleads with a plug to allow them to be removed.

Seems a far more elegant solution, if it's possible?