A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Reverse Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Tony
Is it possible to turn off the reverse light monitoring using VCDS? The resistors are on flyleads with a plug to allow them to be removed.

Seems a far more elegant solution, if it's possible?
Try installing those without resistors. They are pretty powerful. It can be enough not to trigger error code. You will get a lot brighter light but not necessarily better vision since the bulb must be positioned exactly in the mirror focus. That is always problem when replacing halogen or incandescent bulbs with LED's. We can all enjoy such headlight upgrades when facing them.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
That is always problem when replacing halogen or incandescent bulbs with LED's. We can all enjoy such headlight upgrades when facing them.
Ha ha! That's funny!

OK, so I did a little experimenting tonight with the old and new bulbs. Sadly, I couldn't do it on the car because it's pitch black and raining at the moment. I jerry-rigged a battery charger as a mock power source and I had an old tail-light that I opened up. Here are my findings:
  1. The LED is brighter than the halogen, but the light from it isn't dramatically different. I'm hoping it's that nice blend of modernising without the after-blindness.

2. In less than 20 seconds, the factory halogen bulb got so hot that I burnt my finger on it by touching it by accident (it's still stinging now!). The casing for the resistor for the LED took around 5-7mins to get to the borderline between warm and hot. I could still hold it comfortably at this point, so I'm not worried about heat damage anymore - after all, for how long does anyone engage reverse gear?

3. I found a nice little slot next to the rear fog lamp bulb that will fit the resistor perfectly. Installing it in this location will mean removing the fog lamp bulb and refitting it but it does fit quite nicely. It's basically right next to the cable entry point.

I've uploaded a few pictures of my experiment below. Hopefully someone finds them useful. I didn't resize them, so apologies if they're enormous!

Here's the LED bulb (left) and the OEM halogen bulb (right).

These are the two bulbs beside each other, with the LED resistor.

The difference is there but not crazy big.

Here's the same shot but at a different camera setting, which shows the LED is emitting more light than the halogen.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks T2... I appreciate your bench-top, scientific analysis. Looking forward to your final assessment after you've installed the bulbs. It rains in England?
Old 11-08-2018, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamoye Lewis
nice,

don't put the resistors in the light housing, load resistors gets HOT, will put a hole in your housing, and will cause you some serious grief, you can how ever put them on the harness that connects to the light thats in the trunk lid housing... better before the plug on the trunk side that way you can always remove light without removing resistor, keep in mind with load resistor if the light does go out you will have no idea because the load resistor will fool the auto light test systems....
I know this is an *old* thread...but Shamoye, can you confirm that these specific bulbs do NOT throw any error in the D3s? I tried wiring up a different set of LED bulbs (in aftermarket bulb holders), using the prong connectors...but after a few minutes they throw the dash error. Would love an LED reverse light solution to shed some more light at backup, and not throw any errors! Can't believe these proprietary bulbs that Audi used...so annoying.