A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help for a couple of issues pretty please (:

Old 03-07-2018, 04:47 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little help for a couple of issues pretty please (:

So, bagged myself a beaut of an S8, 2008 model with only 45k miles on, full Audi service history, extremely well looked after and for a very good price...
Having driven it now for around 1k miles, there are some things I've noticed that don't seem to be right, wondering if I may ask for a little help in identifying the issues...
So......
1. I can't find anywhere in the menus that will show me the engine oil level, I see some threads about how it can be unlocked via the MMI but I cannot get that to work... I find it very bizarre that a car you can start with your fingerprint and a car that closes the doors for you , you still have to pull the dipstick out to check the oil...!! I've read about the 2G/3G version, I'm not sure what I have...?? Pics below of vehicle ID and versions.. Car is in Qatar so I'm assuming, like my previous X5, it is a European LHD model...??
2. Sunroof does not work at at all, no noise, no sound, nothing from the switch at all... I have checked the 10A fuse number 13 but that seems to be intact... What else could that be...??
3. Boot lid opening, release works fine but once you press the release, either from the remote, inside the car or on the boot lid itself, it makes some horrendous noise then shuts/locks itself again... If I give it just a little help with my hand when pressing any of the releases, the bottled opens just fine. It closes by itself with no issues also when you press the button... Could that be a simple adjustment of some sort...??
4. The stereo................ Stuck tweeter I know about, I will replace at some point but at least one of my front door speakers is farting when you crank it up a little, low level it's fine but when you notch it up it's like it's blowing a raspberry...!! is it likely blown or is there something inside the door or door card that may have come loose and is making that sound...???
5. It asked me to check the oil level this morning, I checked it, it was on minimum... I've just had to put a liter of oil in as I read that's the difference between min and max, it's done around 11k KM since it's last oil service, is this normal...?? It's been on the ramps for 4 wheel alignment this week and it does look quite oily under there but I have seen the service report form that last inspection/service/oil change and there is a shed load of seals and gaskets that have been replaced so i don't know if it had a leak and they fixed it but didn't bother cleaning up...?? is 1 liter of oil in 11k KM or 6k miles acceptable...??? Are they prone to spring a leak anywhere at only 45k miles...???
6. MMI upgrade, can you tell from the pics if I need one or if it can be done...?? I've read that really it should be done by a dealer, is that expensive...?? And will I benefit from it...??

Think thats all, other than the above, she is certainly an absolute joy to drive, I''m really happy with it and hoping to keep it for many years to come as long as it doesn't give me any headaches...!!
Really appreciate any help on the above, awaiting your favorable responses...
Also, any tips or tricks you think may help me... (:

Thanking you kindly...

Old 03-07-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mixja23
1. I can't find anywhere in the menus that will show me the engine oil level, I see some threads about how it can be unlocked via the MMI but I cannot get that to work... I find it very bizarre that a car you can start with your fingerprint and a car that closes the doors for you , you still have to pull the dipstick out to check the oil...!! I've read about the 2G/3G version, I'm not sure what I have...?? Pics below of vehicle ID and versions.. Car is in Qatar so I'm assuming, like my previous X5, it is a European LHD model...??
6. MMI upgrade, can you tell from the pics if I need one or if it can be done...?? I've read that really it should be done by a dealer, is that expensive...?? And will I benefit from it...??
Hi; you have an MMI 2G system from the screen shots.
I don't believe 2008 Models had an electronic dipstick.
The screen that you added with the line "HW: D3-HU-6300D2.0" indicates a European 'HeadUnit' aka 'Interfacebox' aka 'Control Head' ,as that number, '6300', is the same as my UK one. '6300' units have video input so you must have a TV or a Reversing Camera.
The "WAU PN4 4E 2 8 N 000235" car number is not quite what I've seen as UK cars have 'ZZZ' instead of 'PN4'. You have a 4E model, model year 2008, built in Nackersulm Germany [like all A8s], and the 235th car built in that model year.
Your MMI version is 34.5.0 dating from Year 2006 Week 32 - 3450 0632. Latest version is 5570 dating from October 2008. Update is by CD and relatively simple if you use the 'proper' CDs. The update will update firmware in various MMI units as well as the MMI itself. [The MMI system runs in the Control Head mentioned above].

You can see what MMI units you have in your car, with part numbers and versions, if you follow the attached instructions.

Julian
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Red Menus.txt (1.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Your lower midbass speaker is blown
Old 03-07-2018, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

As to the deck lid...take off the panel covering the battery, take a flash light and look in the battery space to the area that corresponds to where the hinge meets the body. There you will see the motor that raises and lowers the deck lid; if the motoor housing is black, your car was early enough to have the motors that ALL fail. If the housing is metal, then you have the upgraded motor and you should not be having a problem due to the motor.

So, lubricate a ll hinge pivot points on both sides and see if that does the trick. If not, and you have the all-metal motor, then I guess you need to change out the motor. That is a very straight forward, obvious (but PITA) R&R that anyone can do.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
The screen that you added with the line "HW: D3-HU-6300D2.0" indicates a European 'HeadUnit' aka 'Interfacebox' aka 'Control Head' ,as that number, '6300', is the same as my UK one. '6300' units have video input so you must have a TV or a Reversing Camera.
The "WAU PN4 4E 2 8 N 000235" car number is not quite what I've seen as UK cars have 'ZZZ' instead of 'PN4'. You have a 4E model, model year 2008, built in Nackersulm Germany [like all A8s], and the 235th car built in that model year.
Your MMI version is 34.5.0 dating from Year 2006 Week 32 - 3450 0632. Latest version is 5570 dating from October 2008. Update is by CD and relatively simple if you use the 'proper' CDs. The update will update firmware in various MMI units as well as the MMI itself. [The MMI system runs in the Control Head mentioned above].

You can see what MMI units you have in your car, with part numbers and versions, if you follow the attached instructions.

Julian
Very helpful Sir, thank you...
I do indeed have both the TV and the reversing camera...
Altho the TV here in Qatar is about as much use as a pair of sunglasses on a bloke with one ear...!!
And when I press the Media button then Source, I have the option for 2 different external AV devices as well as the MMI interface...
However, i can't see where you would plug any other external devices in other than the MMI plug in the glovebox, am I missing something here...???
And the 'proper' upgrade CDs for the firmware, do I have to buy them from Audi....???

Thanks again... (:
Old 03-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by BASARAB
Sounds painful... And expensive...!!
I've checked the audiusaparts website but they are only showing one speaker in the front door when there is quite clearly 2...!!
And one is slightly smaller than the other...
Are they easy to swap out...?? Does the door card have to come off or can the grill be removed and the speaker replaced from the front...

Thank you... (:
Old 03-07-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by awdinut
As to the deck lid...take off the panel covering the battery, take a flash light and look in the battery space to the area that corresponds to where the hinge meets the body. There you will see the motor that raises and lowers the deck lid; if the motoor housing is black, your car was early enough to have the motors that ALL fail. If the housing is metal, then you have the upgraded motor and you should not be having a problem due to the motor.

So, lubricate a ll hinge pivot points on both sides and see if that does the trick. If not, and you have the all-metal motor, then I guess you need to change out the motor. That is a very straight forward, obvious (but PITA) R&R that anyone can do.
I'll have a check on that, thank you...
However, I don't think there is actually anything wrong with the motor per se, as I say, if I just assist the lid even only a little like with one finger when I press a release button, the boot lid raises no issues but if I don't help it, it doesn't move at all, just makes a horrible groaning sound... And it closes as it should with no issues... Most weird...
The guy I bought the car from did say that he'd replaced the boot struts, maybe they weren't installed correctly...??
Old 03-07-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by JulianHicks

Julian
Is this a 'proper' CD/DVD...???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-2016-M...gAAOSwE7JagzXO
Old 03-08-2018, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Number 4

Originally Posted by BASARAB
Yup, and you can replace the foam surround for less than $5 in parts, just search for speaker surround rebuild. I did mine last year, works great. The original foam surround was shot, and same symptoms as the poster stated.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default you asked for an answer from people who know whats wrong....

Originally Posted by mixja23
I'll have a check on that, thank you...
However, I don't think there is actually anything wrong with the motor per se, as I say, if I just assist the lid even only a little like with one finger when I press a release button, the boot lid raises no issues but if I don't help it, it doesn't move at all, just makes a horrible groaning sound... And it closes as it should with no issues... Most weird...
The guy I bought the car from did say that he'd replaced the boot struts, maybe they weren't installed correctly...??
but you didnt pay attention to the answer. The symptoms you describe are classic;one of the most discussed problems in AW history. Yes, your lid will open with just a little help, but that isnt how its supposed to function is it ?

So go open the battery compartment as I said... its an easy thing to do to diagnose your problem. And I should have added that before you change the motor you will want to install new struts or confirm that the ones you have are reasonably fresh as they play a large part in the successful operation of the marginally engineered and specd system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A little help for a couple of issues pretty please (: