A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help for a couple of issues pretty please (:

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:15 PM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tsuter

Yup, and you can replace the foam surround for less than $5 in parts, just search for speaker surround rebuild. I did mine last year, works great. The original foam surround was shot, and same symptoms as the poster stated.
I'll check that out too, thank you... (:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by awdinut
but you didnt pay attention to the answer. The symptoms you describe are classic;one of the most discussed problems in AW history. Yes, your lid will open with just a little help, but that isnt how its supposed to function is it ?

So go open the battery compartment as I said... its an easy thing to do to diagnose your problem. And I should have added that before you change the motor you will want to install new struts or confirm that the ones you have are reasonably fresh as they play a large part in the successful operation of the marginally engineered and specd system.
Ok, noted Sir, thank you... (:
Old 03-10-2018, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mixja23
And when I press the Media button then Source, I have the option for 2 different external AV devices as well as the MMI interface...
However, i can't see where you would plug any other external devices in other than the MMI plug in the glovebox, am I missing something here...???

And the 'proper' upgrade CDs for the firmware, do I have to buy them from Audi....???
The 'external AV device' option is quite confusing; the inputs are part of the TV There are no simple connectors but Audi designed two external connections into the wiring loom of the TV. Apparently you have to disconnect the red conneccor at the TV [behind left panel in boot] and make your connections into the red connector. Not done it myself but there are references somewhere to making these connections.

Looked at that ebay advert but it doesn't show the CD set on offer. The offical part number of the 3 CD set for European MMI updates is 4L0 998 961 [for A6, A8, Q7] and was originally available in 2009 from dealers for abour £5. Not sure about dealer availability now, 10 years on, but the sets are often on sale on eBay for about £20 [often with dubious Navigation DVD updates]. CD1 updates MMI and devices to 5150; CD 3 updates to 5570. CD2 is dedicated to HandyVorb2 and BTA Bluetooth phone units which are updated to 1130 and 1120 respectively; note that this update CD typically needs to be run twice.

Julian
Old 03-10-2018, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
The 'external AV device' option is quite confusing; the inputs are part of the TV There are no simple connectors but Audi designed two external connections into the wiring loom of the TV. Apparently you have to disconnect the red conneccor at the TV [behind left panel in boot] and make your connections into the red connector. Not done it myself but there are references somewhere to making these connections.

Looked at that ebay advert but it doesn't show the CD set on offer. The offical part number of the 3 CD set for European MMI updates is 4L0 998 961 [for A6, A8, Q7] and was originally available in 2009 from dealers for abour £5. Not sure about dealer availability now, 10 years on, but the sets are often on sale on eBay for about £20 [often with dubious Navigation DVD updates]. CD1 updates MMI and devices to 5150; CD 3 updates to 5570. CD2 is dedicated to HandyVorb2 and BTA Bluetooth phone units which are updated to 1130 and 1120 respectively; note that this update CD typically needs to be run twice.

Julian
Thanks for the info mate... (:
You're right lol, that does seem rather confusing...!! I'm likely not to do anything about it tbh, I got my BOVEE BT adapter for the tunes from mi phone, I'm happy with that, I don't spend enough time in the car to be watching videos...!!
This is the photo from the ebay listing although it's now ended, they look genuine enough...??

Old 03-10-2018, 02:08 AM

but you didnt pay attention to the answer. The symptoms you describe are classic;one of the most discussed problems in AW history. Yes, your lid will open with just a little help, but that isnt how its supposed to function is it ?

So go open the battery compartment as I said... its an easy thing to do to diagnose your problem. And I should have added that before you change the motor you will want to install new struts or confirm that the ones you have are reasonably fresh as they play a large part in the successful operation of the marginally engineered and specd system.
So, I had a look, I assume I have the silver motor housing you're referring too...??

Old 03-10-2018, 02:16 AM

As to the deck lid...take off the panel covering the battery, take a flash light and look in the battery space to the area that corresponds to where the hinge meets the body. There you will see the motor that raises and lowers the deck lid; if the motoor housing is black, your car was early enough to have the motors that ALL fail. If the housing is metal, then you have the upgraded motor and you should not be having a problem due to the motor.

So, lubricate a ll hinge pivot points on both sides and see if that does the trick. If not, and you have the all-metal motor, then I guess you need to change out the motor. That is a very straight forward, obvious (but PITA) R&R that anyone can do.
I'll drop a bit of squirt on the pivots later as you suggest and see what happens, it really only needs the tiniest of help to get it moving so lets's hope its nothing more sinister...
I assume worst case scenario that an A8 boot lid motor is an A8 boot lid motor, I don't have a 'special' S8 boot lid motor lol...???!!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is the photo from the ebay listing although it's now ended, they look genuine enough...??
They look genuine but they are the wrong CDs - they look like 3G MMI CDs to me.

You need the CDs with the 4L0 part number ...

Julian
Old 03-10-2018, 02:48 AM

They look genuine but they are the wrong CDs - they look like 3G MMI CDs to me.

You need the CDs with the 4L0 part number ...

Julian
Maybe just a generic pic then...???
This was the title of the listing, defo says 2G...

Audi 2016 MMI 2G High Software/Firmware 5570 Update Disc DVD A4/A5/A6/A8/Q7

Is it worth speaking to the dealer here do you think, would they be able to do the upgrade...?? I'd rather pay more to know it's done properly with the proper software by the people that made the car...!!
Or do dealers not really support cars that old..??

Sorry, total rookie lol... ):
Old 03-10-2018, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is it worth speaking to the dealer here do you think, would they be able to do the upgrade...?? I'd rather pay more to know it's done properly with the proper software by the people that made the car...!!
Or do dealers not really support cars that old..??

Sorry, total rookie lol... ):
We were all rookies once

You can try a dealer but may not get the answer you'd like. Bear in mind this update is 10 years old [it's not done that way anymore] and even ten years ago some dealers didn't understand the MMI update process.

I did mine myself; you just need to make sure you have a) good CDs [not ones you write yourself] b) to do the update with the engine running or with a 30 Amp power supply connected as you have to have the ignition on. CDs 1 & 3 should take about 10 minutes each; CD2 - the Bleutooth one - may take up to 45 minutes based on what version of code you have in your BT unit already.

Julian

BTW did you read and try my instructions [attached earlier] to see the red screens that show what you have in your car and what version they are currently?
Old 03-10-2018, 03:30 AM

We were all rookies once

You can try a dealer but may not get the answer you'd like. Bear in mind this update is 10 years old [it's not done that way anymore] and even ten years ago some dealers didn't understand the MMI update process.

I did mine myself; you just need to make sure you have a) good CDs [not ones you write yourself] b) to do the update with the engine running or with a 30 Amp power supply connected as you have to have the ignition on. CDs 1 & 3 should take about 10 minutes each; CD2 - the Bleutooth one - may take up to 45 minutes based on what version of code you have in your BT unit already.

Julian

BTW did you read and try my instructions [attached earlier] to see the red screens that show what you have in your car and what version they are currently?
Fair one mate, thanks... (:
Yeh, tbh, I wouldn't hold much stow with the dealers here on anything lol, Qatar is still pretty backward when it comes to most things, particularly main dealers being helpful...!!!
No probs, I'll keep mi eyes open for some genuine CDs then, not sure if I imagined it but have I read of these updates going awry and essentially bricking the system...?? or am i getting mixed up with something else...???
I have just followed your instructions for the red menus, please see pics... Obvs they don't mean much to me but I'm sure they will to your good self...!!!

Quick Reply: A little help for a couple of issues pretty please (: