A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help for a couple of issues pretty please (:

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Trunk/boot: If you have the updated metal case motor like it appears in the picture, try: 1. oiling all the pivot points you can find around both hinges 2. replacing the little gas shocks on the two sides. The two sides technically have different part #'s; don't mix them up when replacing. Report back after that if still doesn't rise up on its own.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

So, in screen order, this is what you've got:

Interfacebox - MMI controller that runs MMI devices and communicates via keypad and screen - behind dash
BTA - Bluetooth phone adapter using roof aeriel - under left front carpet
BO-D3 - Bang and Olufson 3d Amp - left side boot
Navibox - DVD navigation unit - left side boot * DVD with European 2007 maps installed *
TV Analog - analogue only TV - left side boot
SDS-UK - speech controller - left side boot
Tuner - AM/FM radio - left side boot
MP3 - 6 CD unit, MP3 compatible - glove box
AMI - Music interface to iPods, USB etc. [based on cable] - glove box
Gateway - device connecting buses in the car - behind dash

All of these are firmware driven and all except Navbox and Gateway are updated by MMI update CDs. [Navbox firmware is updated by Navigation DVDs, 1060 was the last version for 2G MMIs on the 2009 DVD; Gateway isn't updated [and doesn't need to as it's relatively 'dumb']].

Firmware updates can either fix issues or add functions but Audi don't publish what level does what.

Here's what will get updated on your car 'version-wise' on the two MMI levels on the 5570 update CD set for Europe.

CD1 - MMI level 5150

Control Head - 3450 to 5150
BO-D3 - 0180 to 0310
TV - 0290 to 0300
MP3 - 0350 to 0390
AMI - 0700 to 0850

CD3 - MMI level 5570

Control Head - 5150 to 5570
BO-D3 - 0310 to 0320
Tuner - 0620 to 0630

CD2 - Bluetooth

BTA - 0710 to 1120

Julian
Old 03-10-2018, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tsuter

Yup, and you can replace the foam surround for less than $5 in parts, just search for speaker surround rebuild. I did mine last year, works great. The original foam surround was shot, and same symptoms as the poster stated.
I did, but no repair kits available for this speaker. How exactly did you do it?
Old 03-11-2018, 03:17 AM
Back axle behind the ears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulianHicks
So, in screen order, this is what you've got:

Interfacebox - MMI controller that runs MMI devices and communicates via keypad and screen - behind dash
BTA - Bluetooth phone adapter using roof aeriel - under left front carpet
BO-D3 - Bang and Olufson 3d Amp - left side boot
Navibox - DVD navigation unit - left side boot * DVD with European 2007 maps installed *
TV Analog - analogue only TV - left side boot
SDS-UK - speech controller - left side boot
Tuner - AM/FM radio - left side boot
MP3 - 6 CD unit, MP3 compatible - glove box
AMI - Music interface to iPods, USB etc. [based on cable] - glove box
Gateway - device connecting buses in the car - behind dash

All of these are firmware driven and all except Navbox and Gateway are updated by MMI update CDs. [Navbox firmware is updated by Navigation DVDs, 1060 was the last version for 2G MMIs on the 2009 DVD; Gateway isn't updated [and doesn't need to as it's relatively 'dumb']].

Firmware updates can either fix issues or add functions but Audi don't publish what level does what.

Here's what will get updated on your car 'version-wise' on the two MMI levels on the 5570 update CD set for Europe.

CD1 - MMI level 5150

Control Head - 3450 to 5150
BO-D3 - 0180 to 0310
TV - 0290 to 0300
MP3 - 0350 to 0390
AMI - 0700 to 0850

CD3 - MMI level 5570

Control Head - 5150 to 5570
BO-D3 - 0310 to 0320
Tuner - 0620 to 0630

CD2 - Bluetooth

BTA - 0710 to 1120

Julian
You Sir, are a superstar... (:
Thank you for taking the time to explain all that, much appreciated... (:
I will keep my eye open for the CDs and if i see anything, I'll run it by you first if you don't mind please...
Living in Qatar, it's a headache getting anything posted here and double expensive too... Even more so if it's wrong and I have to send it back...!!!!

Thank you again...
Old 03-11-2018, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Trunk/boot: If you have the updated metal case motor like it appears in the picture, try: 1. oiling all the pivot points you can find around both hinges 2. replacing the little gas shocks on the two sides. The two sides technically have different part #'s; don't mix them up when replacing. Report back after that if still doesn't rise up on its own.
Well......................
This morning I applied quite a liberal amount of WD40 to all the pivot points, I'm pretty sure tho that it's not the best stuff to use, I'm quite sure there's better available that would do the job better but unfortunately, that's all I have kicking about...
I'm sure people could recommend something better...??
However, it seemed to make some improvement as the boot lid now rises on its own... But... It is still making a God awful sound before it finally manages to push up the boot lid...
The previous owner told me he had replaced the struts although I couldn't tell if he was lying or not...!!
So, this where we're at, I can't see that the motor will last too much longer if it is operating in this way without my help still, as I say, maybe someone can recommend a better lubricant for the job...??

Old 03-11-2018, 03:37 AM

Seems I've got a coolant leak now as well as an oil leak... ):
German cars just don't seem to like the sunshine....
This is my 3rd car in 8 months and I've had nothing but **** with al of them...!!!
Old 03-12-2018, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes you need to pull the door card

Originally Posted by mixja23
Sounds painful... And expensive...!!
I've checked the audiusaparts website but they are only showing one speaker in the front door when there is quite clearly 2...!!
And one is slightly smaller than the other...
Are they easy to swap out...?? Does the door card have to come off or can the grill be removed and the speaker replaced from the front...

Thank you... (:

The speaker is a single module for the B&O stereo, but you can remove the module and then remove the speaker to replace the surround. There is a place online where you can grab new foam surrounds to replace the bad one. It’s very simple really, scrub off the old foam and check the fitment of the new foam, glue in place and let it sit for 24hours. Then it’s ready to use. Two of mine blew and I ended up finding a salvage set to replace them, but I’m the meantime, I repaired the original speakers and ended up reinstalling my original repaired speakers so I still have a complete set of B&O speakers for the next time one of them craps out.
You do need to remove the door panel, but it’s simple, I would grab a handful of panel clips from the dealer though just to replace any you break, or that may already be broken. I needed to replace a couple on mine, but it’s simple to remove. There are YouTube videos out there that show the process. A couple of 10mm bolts and the rest are clips.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:38 AM

The speaker is a single module for the B&O stereo, but you can remove the module and then remove the speaker to replace the surround. There is a place online where you can grab new foam surrounds to replace the bad one. It’s very simple really, scrub off the old foam and check the fitment of the new foam, glue in place and let it sit for 24hours. Then it’s ready to use. Two of mine blew and I ended up finding a salvage set to replace them, but I’m the meantime, I repaired the original speakers and ended up reinstalling my original repaired speakers so I still have a complete set of B&O speakers for the next time one of them craps out.
You do need to remove the door panel, but it’s simple, I would grab a handful of panel clips from the dealer though just to replace any you break, or that may already be broken. I needed to replace a couple on mine, but it’s simple to remove. There are YouTube videos out there that show the process. A couple of 10mm bolts and the rest are clips.
So, are you guys saying that it's only the foam surround that has gone bad then and not the actual speaker itself...???
Just noticed the drivers side has started a little when I crank it up, not quite as bad as the passenger side which is very bad but still annoying...!!!

Thanks for the info...

PS: I doubt the dealers here will hold stock of things like door clips for 10 year old cars, I'd have to order a bunch online...
Old 03-12-2018, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats the problem. I cant find foam which fits. Do you have a link to the one you bought?
Old 03-13-2018, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by BASARAB
Thats the problem. I cant find foam which fits. Do you have a link to the one you bought?
I'm assuming it's these guys...??
If it is, you didn't look very hard lol, it came up on first page of google search...!!

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/bang-...edge-kits.html

Quick Reply: A little help for a couple of issues pretty please (: