A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower control arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Lower control arm

Does anyone have some trick to getting these suckers out? I've rented two pullers, bought one, hit the bejeezus out of it with a hammer, and it will not come out. None of the pullers have fit, and I'm getting tired of guessing what might work. At the same time, I surely don't want to spend the $2-300 for the dealer tool meant for Audi's. Before you ask, no, I don't have a way to apply heat, and I'll be damned if I'm going to buy yet another tool that might or might not help. This thing is really pissing me off, it in no way should be this much of a pain in the neck.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Not especially helpful, but on C5 4.2 with similar arms in general I tried and failed. I finally just pulled the whole steering knuckle assembly out, with arms still attached and broke them loose out of the car and without CV joint close in like it is in car. Since I doing bearings (and some CV boots) anyway, not that much added work in that scenario. I still struggled though on that one with adequate bolt removal clearance on the inside (rear?) bolt up points. Like you, I just could not find the right tool to get in there and break the ball joint side loose.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Does anyone have some trick to getting these suckers out? I've rented two pullers, bought one, hit the bejeezus out of it with a hammer, and it will not come out. None of the pullers have fit, and I'm getting tired of guessing what might work. At the same time, I surely don't want to spend the $2-300 for the dealer tool meant for Audi's. Before you ask, no, I don't have a way to apply heat, and I'll be damned if I'm going to buy yet another tool that might or might not help. This thing is really pissing me off, it in no way should be this much of a pain in the neck.
pneumatic hammer?
Old 06-16-2018, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by tsuter
pneumatic hammer?
+1 but since I replaced the whole arm and not the bushing, I ended up using this Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

Tie Rod Ball Joint Separator

https://www.homedepot.com/p/204505272

Cheers,
Louis
Old 06-16-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Speaking of heat - this is the question I asked the dealer after they gave me a quote for Upper Control Arms - Total (high) estimate was $6500. Something about the UCA seized in place so they would replace the whole front end.

"don't you guys use torches"

BTW a small cylinder with nozzle and ignitor is like $50?? Gets things really toasty. Be careful doing brake fittings
Old 06-17-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tsuter

pneumatic hammer?
That may be a possible solution, if I can get it under there.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Not especially helpful, but on C5 4.2 with similar arms in general I tried and failed. I finally just pulled the whole steering knuckle assembly out, with arms still attached and broke them loose out of the car and without CV joint close in like it is in car. Since I doing bearings (and some CV boots) anyway, not that much added work in that scenario. I still struggled though on that one with adequate bolt removal clearance on the inside (rear?) bolt up points. Like you, I just could not find the right tool to get in there and break the ball joint side loose.
I think for the passenger side, this may end up being the easiest route. Take the whole knuckle and both lower control arms to the shop to have the one bushing pressed in. In theory, it shouldn't be any harder that way, not really. Only two things are left holding it on, the other lower control arm and the steering arm.

Originally Posted by Shark_V8
Speaking of heat - this is the question I asked the dealer after they gave me a quote for Upper Control Arms - Total (high) estimate was $6500. Something about the UCA seized in place so they would replace the whole front end.

"don't you guys use torches"

BTW a small cylinder with nozzle and ignitor is like $50?? Gets things really toasty. Be careful doing brake fittings
$6500?! They are not that hard to get out. Even my seized pinch bolt came out with some clever encouragement.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
+1 but since I replaced the whole arm and not the bushing, I ended up using this Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

Tie Rod Ball Joint Separator

https://www.homedepot.com/p/204505272

Cheers,
Louis
That would work but it would destroy the ball joint boot.