A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud sunroof wind deflector motor...Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dripppps
I used a few layers of duck tape and put it back together...havent heard the damn deflector moving since! Back to normal!!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM
Do you mean you wrapped the duct tape around the motor body?
Old 06-24-2015, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdilY
Do you mean you wrapped the duct tape around the motor body?
No. Just put about three layers and trimmed to only cover the space between the Motor and the gear housing. Covering the whole motor is unnecessary and would probably cause excess heat.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I finally got around to doing this today. Huge improvement.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dripppps
No. Just put about three layers and trimmed to only cover the space between the Motor and the gear housing. Covering the whole motor is unnecessary and would probably cause excess heat.
Did it, can't hear the motor anymore. I actually glued the gear housing to the plastic body and glued the motor to the gear housing. Had to do it since the mediocre screws didn't hold and the tabs for the motor holding metal bracket came off. Then I has to put a wedge between motor and plastic housing above the motor and the noise was gone.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by spillmar
Sunroof, Performing Initialization
– Switch the ignition on.
Start Initialization
– Turn sunroof switch to “roof closed” position and wait until roof is closed.
– Pull switch down and wait until a soft ratcheting sound of the wind deflector motor can be heard.
– This completes the initialization.
Start Learning Phase

Note
Learning phase for roof system must be performed so that a defined pinch protection is guaranteed.
– Release switch and pull it back down immediately.
– Within 5 seconds, sunroof learning phase starts.
– During learning phase, the switch must be pulled continuously over the entire time period.
– Perform learning phase completely.
– During this, sunroof opens completely toward rear, closes again, sunroof cover opens and closes again.
– Now, system has been initialized and learning phase performed.
– Pinch protection is active and system is ready for operation.

I do not know if this will fix my problem. I never open the sunroof. Only opened to lubricate and check for live oak pollen.
Found that the sunroof would not close. Stops when it reaches
The arms for the deflector. Finally helped it close manually. Redid it again recently. Purchased some Krytox for living it. Same issue. Ended up pulling on glass to get it to close.
Is this a failing motor or the "pinch protection" stopping the glass?
Since mine will not close, can I run this adaptation?
Old 07-14-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the tips on this subject. I have been avoiding the use of my sunroof altogether because of these noises. I think I am going to try some 1/16" flat stock cardboard as a shim to start with. On a similar note, just how far should the deflector rise above the roofline when raised? I see that the rubber deflector seal tends to just pop above the roofline a bit.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1Wasserwerks
Thanks for the tips on this subject. I have been avoiding the use of my sunroof altogether because of these noises. I think I am going to try some 1/16" flat stock cardboard as a shim to start with. On a similar note, just how far should the deflector rise above the roofline when raised? I see that the rubber deflector seal tends to just pop above the roofline a bit.
Chris, Mine raises approx an inch. It raises higher at 20mph, then drops down slightly at 45mph. Constant up\down growling racket so I'm going to try that 'wedge' fix next week. Btw, where in CT are you?
Mike
Old 07-25-2015, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greybeast
Chris, Mine raises approx an inch. It raises higher at 20mph, then drops down slightly at 45mph. Constant up\down growling racket so I'm going to try that 'wedge' fix next week. Btw, where in CT are you?
Mike
I was just thinking about this today since I was doing some driving, had the sunroof open, thinking I'll tackle this soon.
I'm in Manchester btw.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was just thinking about this today since I was doing some driving, had the sunroof open, thinking I'll tackle this soon.
I'm in Manchester btw.

Well, I got to this part really easy, but it looks like it takes a T10 and the two I have, one is a socket, and too fat, and the other is a handled driver, too long. Looks like this will have to wait. Btw it was hot as heck up in that area, perhaps the excess heat from the roof causes the issues with the motor?
Attached Images    
Old 09-10-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Great pictures!

Well, I got to this part really easy, but it looks like it takes a T10 and the two I have, one is a socket, and too fat, and the other is a handled driver, too long. Looks like this will have to wait. Btw it was hot as heck up in that area, perhaps the excess heat from the roof causes the issues with the motor?

I (as are many I'm sure) am a visual person so if I can see the process it makes more sense to me. Plus your pics give away the locations of the tabs. I may just tackle this myself soon.

I hear a grinding sound as well but my roof torques out going toward close sometimes where I have to manually reach up and help it forward. It seems really tight like it's binding. Is there another area where people are lubricating the guides?

Last edited by A8 LOOONG; 09-10-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quick Reply: Loud sunroof wind deflector motor...Fixed