A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Map light bulb removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Map light bulb removal?

Any ideas on how to remove the light bulb from the map light under the rear view mirror? I got the lens off but that bulb is so deep in there I can't get my fingers on it. Does the front of the mirror pop off for easy access? I was going to try needle nosed pliers but I don't want to shatter the bulb and it wouldn't allow me to re-install a new one with that method.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Try pushing a piece of rubber hose/tubing over the bulb lens and then twist/pull to release.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a large pair if tweezers but a hemostat may work as well.

Bentley says to use needle nose pliers wrapped in tape.

They are a bear to get back in there.
It helps if you lay on your back over the armrests and turn the mirror as far as possible.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
I used a large pair if tweezers but a hemostat may work as well.

Bentley says to use needle nose pliers wrapped in tape.

They are a bear to get back in there.
It helps if you lay on your back over the armrests and turn the mirror as far as possible.
Thx. I'll try this.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tape was the trick. Turns out it was fairly easy. Installed LEDs but will upgrade to 4 SMT LEDs instead of 2.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by aceecaus
Tape was the trick. Turns out it was fairly easy. Installed LEDs but will upgrade to 4 SMT LEDs instead of 2.
Glad it worked.
Let us know which LED's you end up with and how well they work.

Originally put in a single LED and it looked great but overheated and started to blink after being on for about a minute.
Have since gone to the same one as the doors and trunk (4 LED blade from autolumination) and seems OK, but still having issues with dome lights.

Since the 05 doesn't seem to care about CANBUS error canceling via DIS or VCDS, next go round will be standard polarized ones.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, installed all of my LED's and no problems.
I used the 5 SMT LEDs (http://autolumination.com/images/aut..._5led_w_wm.jpg) for the overhead lights front and back and the one large Super Nova with heat sink LED (http://autolumination.com/images/aut...94_cs_w_wm.jpg) for the Map lights. I did have a small issue with the rear view mirror light (I broke the receptacle inside) because the base width of these LEDs are a bit fatter than than the stock bulbs so it takes a little muscle to wedge them into the receptacle. So, as of now, every light bulb (except the front map lights) have been replaced. I'll have to figure out how to remove the rear view mirror casing to get to the receptacle and fix it so I can get the LED in. In all reality, I'll probably not even deal with it because with my S6, I only used them less than 3 times in 3 years.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interio lights Audi a5 replacement (reading)

Any ideas on how to remove the light bulb from the map light under the rear view mirror? I got the lens off but that bulb is so deep in there I can't get my fingers on it. Does the front of the mirror pop off for easy access? I was going to try needle nosed pliers but I don't want to shatter the bulb and it wouldn't allow me to re-install a new one with that method.
There is a bulb when opening the sunglasses compartment. Remove it and pull for the same area. All unit will come out. Then from the inside you can remove the plastic cover. Be careful of a short circuit so use a platic tool or taped a screw driver.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Couple things wrong here

Originally Posted by ClosLoz
There is a bulb when opening the sunglasses compartment. Remove it and pull for the same area. All unit will come out. Then from the inside you can remove the plastic cover. Be careful of a short circuit so use a platic tool or taped a screw driver.
1) This is the D3 forum, not the A5 forum

2) D3 does not have a sunglass compartment - at least not on 05 and earlier

3) Thread necromancy on a resolved question from a year ago
Old 01-29-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doea anyone know how to turn the maplight in the rearview mirror off in my 2005 A8 ?

Quick Reply: Map light bulb removal?