A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Droopy Sunvisor/Sunvisor tuff to rotate??? Found the fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Droopy Sunvisor/Sunvisor tuff to rotate??? Found the fix

Have either of your sunvisors lost its ability to snap shut and stay flush with the headliner? Is your sunvisor very difficult to rotate into the right position to block the sun? Well, I think I have figured this out and found the cure without having to spend any money or having to disassemble the sunvisor. Here is what happened to mine. After buying my 2007 S8 pre-owned from a dealer in FL, I was driving the car back to Dallas and got acquainted with the interior and any flaws I could find. The droopy sunvisor was apparent within the first couple miles and when I went to push it back into place, it dropped back down about an inch. It wasn't in my line of sight but it was annoying nonetheless. So, after a search of the forums for a fix and coming up empty on eBay for a replacement, I decided to take it outta the car and see what's causing it to misbehave. Once removed from the car (very easy process, pop the little cover over the swivel bracket, remove two torx screws, disconnect the plug for the lights and it will drop into your hands.) take it inside where the A/C is running and look it over.

Here is what I discovered with mine. The actual metal bar that the sunvisor rotates on for positioning has a flat spot on it. This flat spot runs the length of the entire bar. Mine was dry as a bone and it almost appeared to have residue of some kind of lubricant or dirt or something. I attempted to pull/extend the bar out of the sunvisor while munching on how this thing works. It was very difficult to do. What I then noticed after forcing the movement is that if the flat spot is not in the right place when rotated to the closed position, it wont hold itself flush to the headliner......and.....you cannot make this adjustment while its still attached to the car b/c when you try to push it up to reach the flat spot, it hits the roof or headliner and cannot reach its closed position. I have no idea how this happens in the normal course of use, but it does. So, the solution is very simple. Take your favorite lubricant and place a few small drops where the bar enters into the sunvisor. Work the bar in and out and few times to distribute the lube and rotate it a few times while trying to imagine it reattached to the car. Mine actually started working as designed.

Reattach to the car and go spend the money you would have spent at the dealer or eBay, on dinner for you and the family.

Hope this helps !!!
Hunter