A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension problem!

Air suspension (yellow) light was coming on and off before, now it's always on. For the most part it was coming on after driving first few minutes, and after I shut the car and started back on, the light would disappear. Few day ago it was very cold, I started the car and I heard a click, and after that the yellow suspension light is always on. I'm not sure if that click was from the relay or from the compressor. I would appreciate any advice.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

There are many threads archived here so no sense in reposting it.

Use VCDS from ZRoss-Tech to troubleshoot. There is a 30 or 40 amp fuse under the dash for the compressor that usually blows when the compressor motor fails.

The primamry failure mode that the motor fails is a magnet inside the motor becomes unglued from the motor shell. It can be disassembled and JBWelded back in place. Glue the other ones while you're in there.

Of course one of your dampers (air springs) could be leaking causing the motor to run all the time eventually blowing the fuse. It is a PITA to get at as well.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get to the fuse, there are two screws in the fuse compartment on the drivers side, two under the small thin trim to the left of the steering wheel, and two under the LONG trim piece that goes across to the passenger side, and one under the right side of the panel under the steering wheel. The panel just un-clips and the Fuse (40A) and the relay (marked 373) are now accessible. It is difficult tell if the fuse is blown or not by looking at it, measure it with an ohmeter.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 05SilverA8
To get to the fuse, there are two screws in the fuse compartment on the drivers side, two under the small thin trim to the left of the steering wheel, and two under the LONG trim piece that goes across to the passenger side, and one under the right side of the panel under the steering wheel. The panel just un-clips and the Fuse (40A) and the relay (marked 373) are now accessible. It is difficult tell if the fuse is blown or not by looking at it, measure it with an ohmeter.
The coin tray face needs to be removed to be able to remove the long trim piece (this is per the service manual). The small plastic tips on the tray or face a easy to break. Be careful. The face slides slightly to the side to disengage.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erojan82
Air suspension (yellow) light was coming on and off before, now it's always on. For the most part it was coming on after driving first few minutes, and after I shut the car and started back on, the light would disappear. Few day ago it was very cold, I started the car and I heard a click, and after that the yellow suspension light is always on. I'm not sure if that click was from the relay or from the compressor. I would appreciate any advice.
Hi,
Perhaps you should post more observations like, error code/s, ride comfort(if any) or does the car hold its height overnight etc. So as to enable the kind souls in this forum have a better understanding or relate their experiences to your (car's suspension)problem and contribute their advice or troubleshooting approach.

Back to your description, in fact, I posted the same problem as yours just a few weeks back. Mine was still driveable albeit stuck in Dynamic when the Amber light was ON. Same thing, when I shut the car off and restart again, the amber light will disappear. And the suspension works normally.
For my situation, the 'click' I heard when idling is from the Compressor 'cutting in' to try to level the Car. I will then drive on, ignoring the Amber light and the next moment I shut off my car at my next destination, restart, the light will disappear.

Start your observations and run a scan in the workshop to zoom in on what problem you might be having. Try working on the inexpensive parts first and hopefully solve your problem. I'm not technically inclined but this is how I approached my 'A8 suspension problem'.

GOOD LUCK!

Jay