A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMi update

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MMi update

I have tried updating my system with the disk but it dosent give me a option to update also tried updating and adding maps with the disk says check disk i cant get into the hidden option i have the vcds but its not working ig so please someone tell me how to get around this or how can i get the hidden screen activated where would i go ?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Hennessy Official Tv
I have tried updating my system with the disk but it dosent give me a option to update also tried updating and adding maps with the disk says check disk i cant get into the hidden option i have the vcds but its not working ig so please someone tell me how to get around this or how can i get the hidden screen activated where would i go ?
1. Review prior posts.

2. Please provide year of vehicle, general geographic location (MMI versions vary by country), current version of MMI in vehicle, planned update version, and source of disks being used.

3. Describe where you are inserting disks. The "adding maps with the disk" reference doesn't really add up to me in context since they are two different drives and Nav disk stays with D3 unit. Is this actually a D3?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2004 audi a8 i dont know the update it has on it now but i download a update disk from this website but it shows up on the system just wont let me click it and for my maps i have brought the map disk off ebay but it keep saying check disk. That disk i have in the truck disk part
Old 03-28-2019, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Old 03-28-2019, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

USA, correct?

OK, you are on a quite old MMI version--0600 if I read it right. Not as old as they come, but can be prone to some hiccups.

You are inserting the update disc into the CD drive in position 1 in the glove box, correct? And you unloaded the drive as far as ANY other discs, correct? If not, return to GO...

Confirm each of these for/prior to next steps.

As a preview, I will tell you to basically flush those MMI disks too. Risky and dealer disks are $25 to $40. Blow up MMI and it is 20x to 50x that. It's not a phone app and one mistake, and poof. Hidden menu is a prime way historically to have it go poof, along with single click on Bootloader. Also if you use the wrong version here from version you are starting at, you can brick it. Not knowing what version you are using is a huge warning flag. Honestly like picking up a needle from outside a methadone clinic for personal re use, just to put a "point" on it.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
USA, correct?

OK, you are on a quite old MMI version--0600 if I read it right. Not as old as they come, but can be prone to some hiccups.

You are inserting the update disc into the CD drive in position 1 in the glove box, correct? And you unloaded the drive as far as ANY other discs, correct? If not, return to GO...

Confirm each of these for/prior to next steps.

As a preview, I will tell you to basically flush those MMI disks too. Risky and dealer disks are $25 to $40. Blow up MMI and it is 20x to 50x that. It's not a phone app and one mistake, and poof. Hidden menu is a prime way historically to have it go poof, along with single click on Bootloader. Also if you use the wrong version here from version you are starting at, you can brick it. Not knowing what version you are using is a huge warning flag. Honestly like picking up a needle from outside a methadone clinic for personal re use, just to put a "point" on it.
+1
Old 03-28-2019, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have only 1 disk in there and imma look in to buying a disk normal one sounds like a high risk also i can click anything that shows a update
Old 03-28-2019, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have only 1 disk in there and imma look in to buying a disk normal one sounds like a high risk also i can click anything that shows a update
Disk must be in position 1 in CD drive.

Again, where are you geographically? USA? Really relevant for MMI updates, and yet another way to brick the system if you use updates from the wrong geography.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its in
Position 1 cd and yes im in the us .ohio
Old 03-28-2019, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Its in
Position 1 cd and yes im in the us .ohio
So with USA spec, final version is 4610. A two disc set available via dealers. Search for part #. With an MMI below 1000, some Audi materials suggest you should pass through version 3360 first, doing a two step upgrade. 3360 discs apparently are no longer available from dealers, but maybe you can find a friend with legit ones. Some others say you can do it all with just the final discs and have done so. From reading the Audi materials first person, they are not consistent. The issue of one versus two steps may be buried in how it upgrades some other areas that otherwise may need software patches, but is is very murky. Below version 0500 is the most unknown.

To be very clear, in your situation under NO circumstances use the 4140 version. It was fatally flawed and with your MMI version you will 100% brick it.

Also to be honest, if you basically have little idea of what I am talking about and your car generally works, don't fool with it. If you must, find someone with real Audi experience to do it--one who knows MMI in D3, C6 A6 or Gen 1 Q7. It really is not at all a slam bang app update thing. It is very unforgiving and catastrophic if you are not familiar with the requirements, procedure and versions. First guys who bricked Q7's and A8's to the tune of $2000 basically cried--I was here for it and there was no known way to recover.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-28-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Quick Reply: MMi update