A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI Upgraded- XM Converter added: Success story.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI Upgraded- XM Converter added: Success story.

After many months of waiting, my now 1 year old '04 A8L had its MMI upgraded and an XM Radio converter installed.

Very good implementation of the XM into the MMI screen, with display of stations both on the MMI screen and also on the small screen between the speedometer and tach. The little spin wheel on the left side of the steering wheel allows display of XM stations as well as the ability to select stations by pushing in on that little wheel.

The A8L sharkfin antenna provides very good signal to the converter, much better than the "bump" XM antenna that I had been using with the Roady XM converter that I used before installing the official Audi XM module.

My service department didn't hassle me about the installation of the XM converter despite the fact that I had bought the module and the bracket from Clair Audi Auto parts, over the Internet (and at a considerable discount from standard Audi pricing).

You get three free months of XM, after which you are billed $9.95/month. Be sure to mention if you have another XM radio, then it becomes a "family plan" with the second XM radio and and others afterward only costing $6.95/month.

A real bonus is the "upgraded" NAV DVD that is installed at the time of the MMI upgrade. In my area, (Northern NJ) there are a significant number of streets that are labelled at the 100' and 75' settings that definitely were not labelled before that upgrade. The loss of those labels with the old NAV DVD was a pet peeve of mine from day number one with this car.

I'd really love to change the default NAV setting to the 200' or 100' magnifications rather than the 400' system default.
(PaulW may be able to offer an opinion about how to do this.)

It took my dealer the better part of the day to do the upgrade, a 15K service, rotate my tires (I've gotten a bubble in my driver's front tire- now it's my spare). There was also a loose bolt that was in my passenger side door panel that was driving me crazy, with a rolling sound (like a marble) every time I accelerated or decelerated.

Car is now home, washed by the dealer, with XM working and a more accurate NAV system, no charge, except for the XM converter. I'd have to give Audi good marks on this upgrade.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Re: MMI Upgraded- XM Converter added: Success story.

Thanks for the update. I should get the same upgrade in about a week. I've got 17700 miles on my car- it was 1 year old on 23 October- serial 8170. My only complaint (except the marginal at best phone system we've all been over that ad nauseum)) is the lack of detail in the GPS database. In my small town of Delavan, WI only the 3 major streets are in my GPS database. My daughters Toyota Camry (2004) has a much better and more detailed GPS. Ours should be like that. I'm hoping the new NAV update will help but I'm not so sure. Jeff
Old 10-29-2004, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Do you have the new NAV DVD serial number?

I have an '05 with a late July delivery date and was wondering if I have the latest version.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default DVD says: W531257002A, Version 4. (Good "story" follows..)

Copyright date is 2004.
The face is gray colored and different than the former DVD.

My dealer told me that the DVD disk is "vehicle specific", and that mine had been "sent to Chicago" since that is where the "Audi database" indicated that my car was. (He was however able to give me "someone else's" NAV DVD, and would replace his supply when mine came in, from "Chicago", I presume.)

Pretty interesting since I am the only owner of this vehicle, bought brand new with about 50 miles on the odometer. I have never been to Chicago with the car, either. Go figure.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: DVD says: W531257002A, Version 4

I have the same serial # (minus the "A"), but Version 2. The only road it shows west of the Mississippi is the Oregon Trail. Should I be worried?
Old 10-30-2004, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is your car "arrow proof" ???
Old 10-30-2004, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, I heard some of those early-release cars got the pre-Louisiana Purchase nav disks....
Old 10-31-2004, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes but Napoleons A8 always got him to where he was going!!
Old 10-31-2004, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to worry if youre headed to Oregon!
Old 10-31-2004, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

True, but Napoleon finally met his (Paul) Waterloo

Quick Reply: MMI Upgraded- XM Converter added: Success story.